I understand what you mean. In fact I was just thinking about this recently as Joe Mauer is my favorite player. I know someone who just sold a uncracked Rookie year gamer of Mauer's (that shows lots of use) to a buddy of his and I am offering his buddy a high price (over $1,000) that I'd buy it for, because I want the bat really bad.

Now I just recently got a Mauer 2005 Uncracked gamer that shows plenty of use as well for just $325.00. And I started thinking, well, if he does become as great as say even one of the untouchables like Joe Sewell or Ty Cobb, then this bat would be worth just about as much as the 2004 gamer (as from what I seen, older bats don't affect the price too much, in fact I saw that the oldest dated Ty Cobb GU bat was priced less than a more current GU model).

I mean hell, it is from Mauer's first full season(2005). And to touch on points you bring up, who is to say that Mauer will make it to the HOF? I mean he is not far enough into his career to even speculate yet (Not like Albert Pujols or Alex Rodriguez) and he already has had a major knee injury to cloud his horizon. On the other hand, if his knee does not give him anymore trouble, if he does meet his true potential for hitting for average and power, if he continues to call a good game, then he will make it to the HOF.

So I would be taking a big risk in putting a lot of money into the bat. At least more than if I purchased Pujols and A-rod stuff. But that's what makes collecting fun too. You see players you like based on attributes and what not and you take risks in collecting them. I like Mauer because he is one of the few players these days that has great plate discipline. Anyways, I may still get that 2004 gamer if this guy's buddy agrees to my offer. But for now, I will just have to wait and see.

Let me know what you think and give me any advice if you can.