Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Wade Boggs Pawtucket & 83 Red Sox Lelands Nov 07 Auction

What if any opinions are there on the Lelands Auctions Wade Boggs Jerseys. There are two really rare jerseys.
    Wade Boggs Pawtucket from 1981 w/pants & 83 Red Sox Home.
    Any Boggs collectors please let me know.
    Allen

Re: Wade Boggs Pawtucket & 83 Red Sox Lelands Nov 07 Auction

personally, i think both of them are really nice jerseys. the '83 looks great.

in regards to the '83, i can't see a single thing wrong with it. nice use too. looks like a gem. i like the inscription on the paw sox shirt.

it seems lelands got a great load of boggs items. i'm not sure if it was all part of a bulk purchase from boggs. you might want to ask where it all came from. could be an interesting story.

rudy.

The Boggs items in Lelands are all solid and they come from a long time Boggs collector that I know very well - we probably won't see a collection of Boggs items like this in auction for a long time........jim

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=248&auctionid=711

Should not the batting helmet have a "P" for Pawtucket? Did they wear a "B" back when Boggs played in the minors? Thanks.

Smile Re: Wade Boggs Pawtucket & 83 Red Sox Lelands Nov 07 Auction

Hello all!
    It is my Boggs collection that is up for bids. A friend called me about this thread and I thought I should answer whatever questions you may have about all this stuff.
    About the batting helmet, it was used in Bristol and Pawtucket by Wade. In the minors they were not that pickey back then about the letter on the helmet. All the minor league equipment came from Richard (Dick) of T.K. SPORTS. Please see his ebay ME Page at http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...serid=tinman55

He lives near Pawtucket, and was at there auctions in the early 80's. If you ask him, he has stories about the jerseys from the longest game ever played, to having access to the Red Sox back then. That is why he is always selling old Red Sox autographs on ebay. Please feel free to ask here any questions or email me at gamewornkilroy20@aol.com
    Thank you all for you interest in my collection. It took 25 plus years to collect, however my divorce has put me in this situation.
    Rich Urban

Hey Rich - thanks for coming on the Forum and making yourself available to collectors with questions they may have about your items in auction. Guys - I have known Rich a long time and he's a great guy and has built a great collection. I continue to drool over his items in Lelands.......hope to land something out of that collection!! Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 1975redsox View Post
    http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=248&auctionid=711

Should not the batting helmet have a "P" for Pawtucket? Did they wear a "B" back when Boggs played in the minors? Thanks.
    The surprising thing about it to me was that it only has one ear flap. I always thought that minor league guys wore double-flapped helmets. Does anyone happen to have any photos of minor leaguers wearing single-flap ones from this era?
    "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

I know that Ripken used a single ear flap with Rochester in '81 (same time period).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Awesome. Thanks. I'd be interested to find out when (and why) it became mandatory for minor leaguers to wear both flaps. '83 maybe?
    "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

I like to thank Ironmanfan for his help in answering the question on the helmet. Most minor league teams up until the mid 80's used hand me downs from the major league teams. Thank you for the question.