Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MEARS to work with REA only in 2008

Wow, this is shocking. Auction houses had until today to contract MEARS for their services. In order to do so, they had to agree to certain disclosures including

"Disclosure of Ownership.

Open, Accountable, and Verifiable Bidding practices.

Public notification of any and all alterations, changes or modifications to products. "

Only one auction house- Robert Edward Auctions signed up. I am stunned.

Oh well, more work for Lampson and the 100% Authentic Team, (which is an authentication service, but isn't at the same time because they have no contact info, and there's something about it being just a way to track COAs blah blah blah.)

Auction houses, you have shown your true selves today....

Thumbs up to MEARS for making this statement and to Rob Lifson at REA for continually being an advocate of full disclosure.

Here is the story on mearsonline written by Dave Grob.

http://www.mearsonline.com/news/newsDetail.asp?id=336

Eric
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Re: MEARS to work with REA only in 2008

Eric,

Why would the following auction houses all of a sudden sign up for MEARS when they've never used them for authentication before or cut ties with them long ago:

Grey Flannel
    Lelands
    American Memorabilia

To insinuate that these auction houses didn't sign for the reasons you posted is irresponsible on your part. I also liked in your post how you singled out one auction house that you've had a falling out with. Nothing like an objective forum adminstrator! How about first asking the auction houses why they didn't sign before you make assumptions.....

Regards,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post
    Eric,

Why would the following auction houses all of a sudden sign up for MEARS when they've never used them for authentication before or cut ties with them long ago:

Grey Flannel
    Lelands
    American Memorabilia

To insinuate that these auction houses didn't sign for the reasons you posted is irresponsible on your part. I also liked in your post how you singled out one auction house that you've had a falling out with. Nothing like an objective forum adminstrator! How about first asking the auction houses why they didn't sign before you make assumptions.....

Regards,
    Dave
    I have read alot regarding authenticators on this forum. I see MEARS doing a great job. I have read many times where an item was unable to authenticate due to problems/questionable issues with particular pieces. I have never read that of Lou Lampson. Lou Lampson writes LOA's for just about anything under the sun and is more than likely alot cheaper. MEARS does professional work and with that professional work comes $ which = cost to auction house profit. See where I am going? In my opinion Eric is not taking an objective stand point. Expressing thoughts of his opinion.
    Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !

Personally, I cannot see why any auction house would let a authentication company dictate to them how to run their business.

I my opinion the entire authenication field is a joke, as it is all a matter of opinion unless there is documentation of some type or it is obtained direct. In both cases who need a company to say it is real.

The best I can understand MEARS rating system, they are only judging a item as to how its traits compares with a real, WHAT? I think the general thought is, A5 rating is a not real item, it only looks like a real one. How can you get a A10 with no provenace. I would think the top rating would be reserved for the best of the best. Look at some of the items they rate that are in auctions, they are no better than anyone else. These requirements are just another smoke screen to try and make people think they are different.

Roger

Oh yeah, the LT jersey that is in question in the auction section received a A8 rating from MEARS. It lost 2 point due to the tag being cut off. They claim a photo match to a 84 TOPPS card. I have that set and there is no match. Great work?

Roger

I may have missed something and if I have I apologize. I see Lou Lampson as the authenticator on the LT jersey? Is there another one on auction?
    Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !

I am still pretty new to GUU, but I have been a collector for many years. Is there a connection between GUU and MEARS? I hear more than enough positive remarks from everyone about the quality of MEARS and Dave Bushing's work...I have read their articles in SCD, etc. etc. etc.

I think that the idea of an Auction House wanting to make their consigners more $$ is first and foremost, and to do that, it seems that overhead should be kept to a minimum. I would assume (and I hate to use that word) that someone spending $500 plus on an item would have the research tools available to make an educated decision - and might not want or need MEARS opinion on it.

If I am spending $150 on a bat, etc. I could care less what MEARS grades it. I know what I am getting.

MEARS has its purpose...insurance, appraisal, an objective third party, etc. But to say that all of the auction houses that do not use MEARS are doing something wrong or shady is a little judgemental.

Forum rules state we have to contact sellers and give them 24 hours to respond - and perhaps post the response here. Maybe we need to hear the other side before calling them out...

For the record, I am only a collector/part time eBay dealer...I have zero affiliation with any auction house or MEARS.

Regards - and thanks for the forum guys.

Dave

To insinuate that these auction houses didn't sign for the reasons you posted is irresponsible on your part.
    Dave-
    If you want to talk about irresponsible, look at how you can't follow the rules of the forum. Take a moment and refresh yourself since you can't seem to remember.

I also liked in your post how you singled out one auction house that you've had a falling out with.
    I haven't had a falling out with American Memorabilia. They decided they didn't want to hear about problems with the items they were selling, so they stopped returning my emails pointing out inconsistencies and went ahead banned Chris Cavalier, Rob Steinmetz and me from bidding in their auctions.

Wow, big penalty. And nice PR move!

Honestly Dave, your tone is getting tiresome. By the way, since you're so close with them, can you get me contact information for 40% Authentic?

American Memorabilia had nothing to do with my post. I was commending MEARS for asking for certain traits from the people who employ them.

Dave Grob has always worked for integrity in this hobby, and I wanted to give the guy credit.

In my opinion- which I am entitled to have, this is a good thing.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post
    Forum rules state we have to contact sellers and give them 24 hours to respond - and perhaps post the response here. Maybe we need to hear the other side before calling them out...
    Go back and read what I wrote- I didn't say those auction houses are corrupt. I'm surprised and disappointed that now that MEARS has these policies in place, only one auction house signed up with them.

Eric

I did - and I just finished reading the article on MEARS site. I agree with you Eric for the most part. I made the mistake of saying that the first priority for auction houses was to get the highest amount of $$ per auction. The first prioirty should be authenticity. Apparently, MEARS is the best at "authenticating" items, so the fact the REA is using them is certainly a good thing.

Still, I think the other guys have a right/reason for not using MEARS. MAYBE it is because of the strict grading practices...and maybe it is something else.

If I bought an item from Jeff Scott or Rob Steinmetz, it is doubtful that I would used MEARS - even if I spent a few grand on something. Personally, a letter from one of those guys would mean more to me.

One more question - if another third party (Rob/Jeff) claimed that an item purchased from an auction house was NOT authentic, what is the chance the item would be returnable for refund? I have heard that some auction houses will accept returns...

Thanks again guys.

Dave