Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: MEARS to work with REA only in 2008

"American Memorabilia president Victor Moreno, for example, says his auction house doesn't use MEARS because of an embarrassing previous experience with MEARS authenticator Dave Bushing."

here, lampson embarasses victor by positively authenticating a 1996 orioles jersey of a style that was never even worn by the team:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ead.php?t=5973

the description reads: "Score it a 10+ with A+ provenance" when it should've read "Score it a 0 with a garbage letter". apparently when a jersey can't even be style-matched, it scores a "10+".

here, lampson really embarasses victor by positively authenticating an obviously bogus mcgwire:
    http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...ction_ID=22278

hint: the jersey has 1 color nob. the A's switched to 2-color nob in 1993. woops!

hang on though, lampson's not done embarassing his client. here, he positively authenticates a 1995 Griffey jersey that's missing a patch. the original description made no mention of any patch:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ad.php?t=10715

AMI happily accepted $2,622 for the jersey. every other 1995 mariners jersey i've seen has had the negro leagues patch.

here lampson sticks it to victor again in a comical way by authenticating yet another orioles ripken jersey that wasn't even a style-match:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ead.php?t=6527

that crazy lou, he loves authenticating jerseys bearing a style that never even saw the light of the day. second time he stuck it to victor with the same error! sweet!.

here lampson really lets a pie loose into victor's face. scroll down to the van slyke jersey. in short, lampson positively authenticates a jersey with a nob when it should not have a nob (woops!), is missing a patch, and fails to notice the "fantasy camp" patch that wasn't even worn until 1999.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ead.php?t=7781

in every single auction AMI has run, victor has been continuously embarassed by lampson's antics yet now he says the reason he doesn't want to use bushing is because bushing messed up on 1 bat? give me a break. bushing screws up on 1 bat and he's let go. lampson screws up on dozens of items and he's kept. victor tries to explain that it's because bushing screwed up once? i guess it has nothing to do with mears costing significantly more than lampson's dirt cheap rates?

rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post

in every single auction AMI has run, victor has been continuously embarassed by lampson's antics yet now he says the reason he doesn't want to use bushing is because bushing messed up on 1 bat? give me a break. bushing screws up on 1 bat and he's let go. lampson screws up on dozens of items and he's kept. victor tries to explain that it's because bushing screwed up once? i guess it has nothing to do with mears costing significantly more than lampson's dirt cheap rates?
    Ah, the mysterious Rudy offering more, quality non-fiction. A+

Guys I think we are missing a huge point here, the leading authenticators for MEARS ,Dave Bushing and Troy Kinunen are also dealers. They sell memorabilia on their website. Why would an auction company open their books to a competitor in the industy. This doesn't make sence to me.

Also, why would you use MEARS when you can get information from this website? Just a suggestion, why would'nt auction companies use the vast knowlege that this website offers to authenticate their items?

Todd

Rudy..what's the old phrase?...."get what you pay for"

Dirt gets dirt for dirt

As a follow up to my previous post, I thought this thread on Network 54 is really interesting:

www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1194844156/last-1194968015/MEARS+effort+to+help+clean+up+the+hobby.++REA+sign s+on

Quote Originally Posted by yankees159 View Post
    As a follow up to my previous post, I thought this thread on Network 54 is really interesting:

www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1194844156/last-1194968015/MEARS+effort+to+help+clean+up+the+hobby.++REA+sign s+on

I really love the discussion that took place. However, I don't really understand why some people are arguing MEARS policy or argue why it wasn't adopted by more companies. MEARS policy is a terrific stand against the corruption that honest collectors have fought for years. Isn't that corruption a major reason that sites like this exist? It wasn't adopted by many companies, just my belief, because Lampson's COA's continue to sell products. Let's face it. . .anytime I have sold an item on ebay, that is the first question I receive. "Does this jersey have a COA?" If it doesn't, I don't get bids. Never mind that it might be from the mid 80's, and from a time where COA's just weren't issued by teams. Or that all tagging is perfect. But if a guy claims to be a ballboy, types up a letter, and offers some sneakers, that is proof enough. Or if a person offer's a photo of a MLB baseball being signed by a player. . .that is proof enough (never mind that MLB baseballs pretty much look identical and the real one is probably still on their shelf).

I personally love Joann's stand.

So in 2008 I'm not going to bid in any auction except REA. It's not like I win a lot or spend a lot in some of these, but I do like a few of the other houses fairly well and have won from them in the past here and there. But only REA, at least for 2008. If MEARS can make a big statement, then I guess I can make a small one.

This is a stand that I believe more of us, as collector's, need to take. I should qualify that statement. This is a stand that needs to be taken if we are truly going to put our money where our mouth is. Remember that in a capitalistic society the spending of money is the way consumers get to vote. I for one am sick and tired of Lampson's worthless COA's and fraudulent people on ebay selling junk. I have refused to purchase ANYTHING that was authenticated by Lampson since I won a Red Sox batting practice jersey that he authenticed. . .turns out it was a t-shirt that was the size my 8 year old son would wear. That occurred over 2 years ago now.

I believe that a stand should go further than just not bidding, though. I believe that each consumer should contact the companies and let them know why they will not be receiving bids or consignments from them. This is a large enough membership/community that I would think it could have a major impact on ending sales prices. I know there are flaws in this ideology. However, I believe that it is the only logical and reasonable response if people feel as strongly as some have stated, on this site. I personally believe most will not take such a stand that Joann took. Reasons I'm sure are varied. They might include that it is too hard not to bid when my favorite player's items are up for auction, or I've done the research and believe it is authentic, etc. Those are all great reasons, but just remember that we are voting with each and every bid.
    "We need rebirth of the American tradition of leadership ... in private life as well." "'Trust me' government asks that we concentrate our hopes and dreams on one man; that we trust him to do what's best for us. My view of government places trust not in one person or one party, but in those values that transcend persons and parties. The trust is where it belongs--in the people." - Ronald Reagan"

http://www.freewebs.com/chrishwish/

here's some random food for thought:

- at a minimum, i think a lot of people appreciate what d. grob is trying to do. i don't think it was anyone's intent though to suggest that, because mears' new policies have noble aims, that anyone who doesn't sign on must therefore automatically be doing so because they're corrupt. in order to judge why an auction house has or hasn't signed on with mears, you have to know their specific reasons. i don't know any of their specific reasons so i can't judge any of them. i do think there are some valid reasons not to use them. unfortunately, i don't see any of the auction house owners coming out and publically announcing their honest reasons for not using them so we'll never know.

however, i do understand why an auction houses' decision to use lampson automatically causes people to regard them with suspicion and disdain. if lampson wasn't in the game and an auction house chose not to use mears, would people still feel the same way? if, for example, an auction house chose meigray's crew over mears, would people still feel the auction house wasn't taking the high road? probably not.

- immediately after mears announced their new policies, mastro announced their new "code of ethics" or whatever. the writing was on the wall. i don't believe the timing was coincidental. mastro apparently had been satisfied with the quality of mears' work and their costs and yet immediately after mears announced their rigorous new policies, mastro decides they can do without them and decides to stick with lampson. speaking of sticking with lampson, any bets on whether mastro's error rate will skyrocket in 2008?

- unfortunately, i believe that eric is correct when he says this will mean more work for lampson. it's incredible that you can be the worst in the industry and yet continue to rack up more business simply because you're the cheapest. one of these days some of the auction houses are going to regret using lampson and see that there's more to it than simply getting the cheapest authenticator. paying for inferior building materials isn't worth it if they cause the building to collapse. those lawsuits are going to cost a lot more than the money saved in cheap materials. the gravy train always stops eventually.

- mears' accepts submissions from auctions houses and private collectors. i'm curious why lampson only services auction houses. clearly the man enjoys making money so why not really open up the revenue stream and service the public? is it because the auction houses provide a shield that would suddenly disappear when forced to deal directly with collectors? afterall, when lampson errs on an auction item, there are no consequences. he still gets paid. the auction house says "sorry all sales final" and lampson goes merrily on his way. he's paid, the auction house is paid, and the buyer is SOL. lampson doesn't even lose the contract. i've seen mears lose two contracts. i haven't seen lampson lose one. if lampson erred on an item with a private collector, the collector would demand a refund. i've seen mears offer refunds. i've seen them buy items back that they've gotten wrong. what's lampson's refund policy? despite this, auction houses stick with lampson and continue to drop mears. 40% fees and their focus is still on hiring the cheapest around. a part of me wonders if i offered to authenticate items for $1 a pop, if i'd suddenly get all of lampson's contracts. it might almost be worth it.

rudy.

Rudy...what's your e-mail again?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lund6771 View Post
    Rudy...what's your e-mail again?
    Thanks
    petrucious2000@yahoo.com

rudy.