Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Why does this Packers jersey have custom tags from L.A.?

Quote Originally Posted by ekin27 View Post
    Just A Guess!!
    In 1973 Ernest Borgnine played Vince Lombardi in a TV Movie Called "Legend In Granite".
    It profiled Lombardi's career from college to his days leading the Pack to glory.
    Actors played members of the 60's Packers.
    Given this is a 60's looking jersey with early 70's tagging plus a tag from a California company that supplied sporting goods to movies perhaps this is a Boyd Dowler prop from this movie.
    Again...Just a guess.
    Jack
    Wow, that is a very interesting thread. I wonder if a video is available?

Quote Originally Posted by ekin27 View Post
    Just A Guess!!
    In 1973 Ernest Borgnine played Vince Lombardi in a TV Movie Called "Legend In Granite".
    It profiled Lombardi's career from college to his days leading the Pack to glory.
    Actors played members of the 60's Packers.
    Given this is a 60's looking jersey with early 70's tagging plus a tag from a California company that supplied sporting goods to movies perhaps this is a Boyd Dowler prop from this movie.
    Again...Just a guess.
    Jack
    Ekin
    O.K. man, how did you read my mind?
    On my desk, are the words: Legend in Granite. I did this research last night. There is no video or dvd available. I could go to the Museum of TV and radio. You can schedule a viewing in there viewing room, of anything that has ever aired on network television. I am enjoying this discussion, but taking a four mile trip (40 minutes in L.A. traffic) is a commitment. MEARS sold a road white. Beantown has a home green. We'd have to see the movie to rate the production value. Two sets of jerseys for a TV movie? How many football "action" scenes are there? Ekin- do you have information that William Fredericks Company supplied movie production companies? If so, that would help. Remember readers- this movie thing is pure speculation. As it stands: MEARS' jersey and Beantown's jersey are BOTH gamers. Even if they were used in a movie, they could have quite possibly been recycled from the team. I have seen some Rams jerseys distributed by Fredericks, and some early 70s Pro Bowl jerseys (when the game was played in L.A. for a few years). Has anyone seen any other NFL jerseys or non-west coast teams, or other Packers jerseys with Fredericks tags?

Guys,

I am sorry about the way I worded my post. I have no knowledge of Fredericks supplying movies.

It makes no sense why the Packers based in Green Bay would be buying Sand Knit jerseys made in Berlin Wi. from a Culver City Ca. distributor.

Googled Packer Movies and found the Legend in Granite name and looked it up on imdb.com. It listed actors who portrayed players and the rest is a guess.

My apologies if my previous post made it look I had knowledge of this dealer supplying movies.

Pure Speculation on my part.

Jack

In an earlier post Mark (Hayne) provided some good information regarding early '70s Sand Knit tagging. I'd like to elaborate a little further regarding Packers jersey tagging.

The dual Sand Knit tagging on this Packers jersey is generally found on post-1970 shirts. Packers jerseys from 1970 sported only the size/washing instrctions tag only, and not the "exclusive" tag.

Also, someone had asked about the red size tag in the collar. You will find Packers jerseys through the mid-'70s with this tag. I'm still trying to find solid information re: the Fredericks Co. connection w/that tag.

Something to consider: In the early part of the 1973 preseason (late July-early August), the Packers carried two tight ends on the roster that were issued number 86. One of them, Mike Donohoe, made the team for the '73 regular season. The other had his number switched to 82 after the first preseason game vs. the Bears and was cut before the regular season began. He was a rookie free agent named Bob Christiansen (B.C.?).

Does this jersey have any sign that a nameplate was ever affixed? That info would help.

The Packers played an intra-squad scrimmage game in late July of '73. The jerseys they wore in this game did not have nameplates attached, and some players wore durene jerseys like this in the game, along with mesh. The possibility exists that Christiansen wore this jersey in that game. He was still assigned 86 for the first preseason game, but did not catch a pass, although he could've seen some action.

My guess is that this was a '71 or '72 stock jersey issued to Christiansen for '73 training camp through the beginning of the '73 preseason.

Guy

Quote Originally Posted by gwh11 View Post
    In an earlier post Mark (Hayne) provided some good information regarding early '70s Sand Knit tagging. I'd like to elaborate a little further regarding Packers jersey tagging.

The dual Sand Knit tagging on this Packers jersey is generally found on post-1970 shirts. Packers jerseys from 1970 sported only the size/washing instrctions tag only, and not the "exclusive" tag.

Also, someone had asked about the red size tag in the collar. You will find Packers jerseys through the mid-'70s with this tag. I'm still trying to find solid information re: the Fredericks Co. connection w/that tag.

Something to consider: In the early part of the 1973 preseason (late July-early August), the Packers carried two tight ends on the roster that were issued number 86. One of them, Mike Donohoe, made the team for the '73 regular season. The other had his number switched to 82 after the first preseason game vs. the Bears and was cut before the regular season began. He was a rookie free agent named Bob Christiansen (B.C.?).

Does this jersey have any sign that a nameplate was ever affixed? That info would help.

The Packers played an intra-squad scrimmage game in late July of '73. The jerseys they wore in this game did not have nameplates attached, and some players wore durene jerseys like this in the game, along with mesh. The possibility exists that Christiansen wore this jersey in that game. He was still assigned 86 for the first preseason game, but did not catch a pass, although he could've seen some action.

My guess is that this was a '71 or '72 stock jersey issued to Christiansen for '73 training camp through the beginning of the '73 preseason.

Guy

Guy....some great information! As for your inquiry if the jersey ever had a nameplate afffixed, there is no evidence/damage to the jersey indicating one was ever applied....

same fredericks tagging on this pro bowl jersey (post # 74)\
    http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...t=12255&page=8
    WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Quote Originally Posted by cjw View Post
    same fredericks tagging on this pro bowl jersey (post # 74)\
    http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...t=12255&page=8
    Thanks for pointing this out. Easy explanation. 1979 Pro Bowl played in Los Angeles. Still would like to know the Packers/Fredericks connection.

any other information?

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    any other information?
    Hey, it's only been four years. Don't rush us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Banned

Another Frederick's Packers jersey has shown-up on eBay.

Looks like early to mid-1970's Sand-Knit tagging (Black ribbon and black size and no lines under the washing instructions) and in looking at the back of the jersey, there doesn't appear to be enough spacing between the collar and numbers to accommodate a nameplate.

It's interesting that this is the 2nd Packers jersey to show-up with Frederick's tagging and that's why I linked this jersey to our earlier discussions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330697970878...84.m1423.l2649

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net