Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Why does this Packers jersey have custom tags from L.A.?

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out. Easy explanation. 1979 Pro Bowl played in Los Angeles. Still would like to know the Packers/Fredericks connection.
    I don't think that Greenwood Pro Bowl jersey is from 1979. Those jerseys look like the Sand Knit, one-tone-number style worn also in 1980 in Honolulu: http://www.mmbolding.com/BSR/The_1979_Pro_Bowl.htm

More likely the jersey was from the Seattle Pro Bowl in January 1977 (Greenwood made the team):

http://www.mmbolding.com/BSR/The_1977_Pro_Bowl.htm

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    Another Frederick's Packers jersey has shown-up on eBay.

Looks like early to mid-1970's Sand-Knit tagging (Black ribbon and black size and no lines under the washing instructions) and in looking at the back of the jersey, there doesn't appear to be enough spacing between the collar and numbers to accommodate a nameplate.

It's interesting that this is the 2nd Packers jersey to show-up with Frederick's tagging and that's why I linked this jersey to our earlier discussions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330697970878...84.m1423.l2649

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net
    Jim,
    This jersey is a 1974 game issued Dave Pureifory jersey. I had sold this on ebay some months ago, and made it clear in my description that I could not find evidence that it saw any game action. I also included the nameplate that would've gone on the back (the plate would've covered part of the transverse seam on the back, so there was enough room), but I don't know what the seller did with that. 1973 was the last year the Packers utilized these 3/4" sleeved durenes for certain cold-weather games. Before the '74 season, the team had durene jerseys made in anticipation of using them later in the season as they had done previously. However, they stuck with the short-sleeved mesh jerseys for the entire year, and beyond. In the '80s they used short-sleeved durene's from time to time.
    -Guy

Forgot to add this bit of info:
    One might (should) ask "Why couldn't this jersey have been used in 1973, when they were still using the durenes, or even earlier?"
    The answer is in the font style.
    The classic "diamond" 5 font changed after 1973, and was flattened out, so to speak. The diamond 5's were brought back again in 1995.
    The Sandknit tagging is appropriate for a 1974 Packers jersey.
    I also have a theory on the Frederick's tag, which I'll get to shortly.
    -Guy

These two photos illustrate the changes to the #5 font between 1973 and 1974. Compare the 5 on Tom MacLeod's jersey in the 1973 photo with the 5 on Larry McCarren's jersey in the 1974 shot.
    -Guy
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Informative thread.
    New members should read this...