X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RKGIBSON
    • Mar 2006

Re: Show Me your NFL stuff

Aeneas,

This helmet has a letter from the Oiler Equipment manager at the time, Red Batty. I tried to do my homework, with my limited knowledge of helmets. The collector that owned it had already photo matched it, I just validated what he had done.

Thanks for the work that you did further validating it, I had not seen the Pro bowl picture. If there is anything else on it that is important let me know and I will photo it. When it come to helmets, you are the man in my opinion.

I got Earl's jersey from the 84 season also. I'll post it over the weekend.

Roger

Comment

• DrJ
      • Nov 2005

RK - that is THE sweetest helmet I've ever seen. I had no doubts about it even before aeneas pictures - but they prove it. WOW WOW WOW

Commando - FYI, I used to own the Groth helmet - it's a nice one.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO WORE THE FOLLOWING HELMETS? Thanks for any help you can give...

Cardinals circa 1987 # 34
      Saints circa 1994 #67
      Broncos circa 1987 #51

Comment

• R. C. Walker
        • Nov 2005

Pulled this from the recesses of my collection. The last Chargers jersey which survived my NFL blowout a few years back.

1984 Drew Gissinger. Repairs. Scuffs. Nice jersey. Originally purchased from Hartel Sports many moons ago. There were a few nice examples out their of the late ’70’s to mid ’80’s Chargers jersey on the market around 1994-1996. Most are probably locked in collections, like this one!

PS: Eric, you got my #66 Billy Shields. Maybe someday I’ll let this one go.
        Attached Files
        R. C. Walker
        sigpic

treborreklaw@hotmail.com

Comment

• commando
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by DrJ
          RK - that is THE sweetest helmet I've ever seen. I had no doubts about it even before aeneas pictures - but they prove it. WOW WOW WOW

Commando - FYI, I used to own the Groth helmet - it's a nice one.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO WORE THE FOLLOWING HELMETS? Thanks for any help you can give...

Cardinals circa 1987 # 34
          Saints circa 1994 #67
          Broncos circa 1987 #51

Not sure about the Cards or Broncos, but Stan Brock wore #67 for the Saints from 1980-92, then Andy McCollum wore #67 from 1995-98.
          sigpic
          Anthony Nunez
          Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
          www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Comment

• lisicki
            • Dec 2005

Here are some of my Jets gamers....

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

• RKGIBSON
              • Mar 2006

Nice jets stuff. I also really like the Charger throwback.

Thanks for the good comments on the Campbell helmet.

Here is my 1984 Earl Campbell jersey. The tagging is different than other Oiler jerseys that I have. The sleeves have spandex sewn in the bottom. The numbers are screened on and the name is sewn.

Roger
              Attached Files

Comment

• 34swtns
                • Apr 2006

Nice Campbell, Roger!

Those spandex inserts remind me of my 1987 Shaun Gayle. Only a couple of the Bears were having spandex added to their jerseys, even as late as 1990. This is one of the first. It's still got the remnant of a makeshift crotchpiece that was evidently cut off. I'd like to photo match it but good clear shots of Shaun from this period are tough to come by. I've still got some game footage to go through so hopefully I'll spot it somewhere.

Comment

• The Titan
                  • Aug 2007

The Holy Grail of jerseys for me! Nice one Roger. Love that jersey. Great pick up!

Nice Bears jersey swtns34.

Comment

• warheel
                    • Nov 2006

Does anyone know if the the Lions jerseys of the 70s used rubberized numbers with glitter or were they just screened on? Anyone have any late 70s era Lions stuff?

Super nice Groth helmet (I got his autograph after an Oiler practice one day in 1979) and Campbell stuff. He's my all time favorite NFL player.

Comment

• RKGIBSON
                      • Mar 2006

Commando,
                      The Groth helmet is a nice piece.
                      Being from Missouri, I was always a Cardinal fan, I know your feeling sorry for me now. Anyway, according to Media guides and game programs, In '87 there was no #34. I do not have the '86. In '84 & '85 they list John Walker, runningback out of Texas. He was drafted in '84 in the 9th round. The ESPN Football Encyclopedia, or Total Football, does not list him so he must have been on the practice squad. I have no book for '83. The '82 media guide list Walter Poole, runningback, rookie from SIU. The '81 media guide list Ben McCall, runningback, rookie from Purdue. Those guys are not listed as players either in the Encyclopedia. Hope this helps.

There has not been a fishnet jersey shown here yet. This is a Robert Brazile from the '82 or '83, I believe. I have not been able to match it yet.
                      It is a Sand-Knit size 50, tags in the collar, with sewn numbers and a screened on name. The diameter of the fishnet is surprising.
                      Roger
                      Attached Files

Comment

• saftey45
                        • Jan 2006

Chicago Bears early 1970's Bob Hale. Mike
                        Attached Files

Comment

• saftey45
                          • Jan 2006

Also an early Rives?? M :-)
                          Attached Files

Comment

• JunkYardDogs5450
                            • Dec 2007

Nice Bears jerseys. Let me know if you ever want to get rid of any. I am always in the market for Chicago jerseys

Comment

• The Titan
                              • Aug 2007

Goodness! Amazing jerseys. Love the Brazile jersey Roger.

The Durene Bears jerseys are extremely nice too!

I love this thread.

Comment

• gwh11
                                • Aug 2005

Nice to see those old Bears jerseys.

For my money, Earl Campbell should still be considered one of the greatest running backs ever, maybe just below Brown, Payton, Sanders, Sayers and Motley.

Anyway, another Packers jersey--1980 Lynn Dickey. This one has the NOB removed, but shows a few nice hit marks, one repair on the back, and appropriate interior pilling. The markered number "8" on the tail tagging refers not to 1978, but rather a size 48, as opposed to the size 46 indicated on the tag. Dickey suffered through some nasty injuries through much of his career (including a leg broken in two places), but eventually blossomed as one of the best quarterbacks by the early eighties. The right sleeve has been cut open and customized, a few years before another largely immobile but deadly accurate deep pocket passer would do the same: Dan Marino.
                                Guy
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...