Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • genius
    • Aug 2007

Re: Show Me your NFL stuff

I don't see much if any Danny boy in here so thought I would post this even though it's college. A photo has proven very elusive, Marino supposedly only wore tearaways in his freshman year and there are few photos of any Pitt road games that season, plus he split time with Rick Trocano making for even less opportunity for photos, and on top of that this particular style has been difficult to style match for any player at all. Heat-pressed numerals, different font than normally seen on Pitt, very distinctive "1" shape, same size numerals front and back, no sleeve numbers.

In fact the road version with the unique "1" font is likely the single toughest style match of all the many variations of Pitt jerseys from 1973-83 or so, some of which went 7 or 8 years between issues (such as the one Marino wore in the 82 opener against North Carolina, with the reversed sleeve stripes showing that jersey was likely recycled from 1974 or 1975).

It's been a frustrating search because when this jersey first popped up several years ago I distinctly remembered seeing it when I was a kid, and I thought I remembered Marino wearing it.

However there is a photo-op shot of Marino wearing a blue version of this style on Getty (image 158372317). And, recently I did finally find a shot of another player wearing a road version in an actual game, ironically with Marino in the photo as well (Gator Bowl, sophomore year). So at least my memory of the style is vindicated though a style match of Marino wearing it in a game or at least on the sideline with Trocano playing is likely still a long way off.
    Attached Files

Comment

• MIAMIGARY
      • Mar 2012

Genius can you email me at dolfins1@rochester.rr.com ? My name is Gary I have some more info on that Marino tear away jersey for you. I have his Blue one he wore at Pitt along with his cleats.Thanks

Comment

• thesteelcurtain58
        • Nov 2013

And here was a tough decision...adding Ray Lewis. Whats cool is the 9/11 game was against the ravens so the rips, tears, markings in Rays jersey was caused by these same Pitt jerseys. I posted game screen shots to match it which came out well if you havent seen them yet. Worth the look up.
        Attached Images

Comment

• thesteelcurtain58
          • Nov 2013

Ok. Time to get back on point and lock it down. I think I got all the Steelers GU 9/11 jerseys except one. According to the registry.

Its actually my favorite groupings and prob went overboard in bidding. But considering the scaricity of Pitt GU jerseys out there, the 9/11's are def worth it. Took about 4 months to accumulate them all.

Here they are without Ray Lewis...
          Attached Images

Comment

• perlman9
            • Dec 2007

Just picked up 2003 Travis Hall Atlanta Falcons helmet. Was listed as Jamal Anderson, the current #98. i was hoping would be an Ike Reese but love the helmet anyway. First Falcons gamer I have seen in person.

Jason Perlman
            jperlman@ohaflcio.org

Comment

• perlman9
              • Dec 2007

Two more helmets
              2010 Antwan Barnes Throwback Eagles

2011 Eugene Sims Throwback Rams

Jason Perlman
              jperlman@ohaflcio.org

Comment

• jhunt28
                • Oct 2008

Love the helmets Perleman! The wear on the Falcons lid is terrific! And I never get tired of those throwbacks! The Rams helmets will always be a beauty in my eyes...it's amazing to think of the detail involved in getting those horn decals in place on each and every helmet. I have heard that back in the day when don Hewitt was the equipment manager, he would almost replace the ram decals weekly, depending on the wear.

Comment

• perlman9
                  • Dec 2007

Thanks! Was iffy on the Falcons when listed on ebay and when I got it first Travis Hall photos I saw from 2003 showed a snap chin guard, but found few pix as season's end with the screw-in chin guard so felt better. Not sure why he switched from snap to screw but was nice to find.
                  Jason Perlman
                  jperlman@ohaflcio.org

Comment

• helmets
                    • Mar 2008

Nice helmets Jason!

Didn't know Sims and Barnes attended MSU
                    Buying game used helmets of Packers - all eras as well as game used helmets of HOFers or future HOFers.

Comment

• perlman9
                      • Dec 2007

They didn't. Just were cool helmets and pulled the trigger. I would always use them as trade bait for former MSU alum but I have a helmet collection of non-MSU players that hopefully some day can be turned around into MSU alum. I am always a sucker from throwbacks, too for some reason
                      Jason Perlman
                      jperlman@ohaflcio.org

Comment

• tom1315
                        • Mar 2008

Jason, I echo 'jhunt28' and 'helmets' - several very nice pickups. I've a 2010 Eagles throwback of Jorrick Calvin #38 I added to my NFL collection a year or so ago from a fellow member. Pictures in my opinion do not do justice to the 2010 Eagle throwbacks. Again nice pickups and I too, love the wear on the Falcons helmet.

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 alumni
                        Attached Files

Comment

• perlman9
                          • Dec 2007

Picked up a few more MSU alum items
                          1994 Greg Montgomery Detroit Lions helmet (anyone know a good place to buy a facemask to match?)

Carlos Jenkins Minnesota Vikings Throwback

Philadelphia Eagles Mark Ingram Helmet (Thanks to Larry P!)

Jason Perlman
                          jperlman@ohaflcio.org

Comment

• solarlottry
                            • Jan 2009

Great stuff Jason!!! Your collection is getting quite large and must be one of the best there is with regards to MSU grads.

I have been lazy about taking pictures of my new additions but I have been adding things slowly including

1994 away Ricky Watters throwback worn vs the Chargers
                            1994 home Ricky Watters non throwback worn in pre-season
                            1995 away Steve Young gamer with nice use
                            1984 SB worn Russ Francis pants and equipment bag
                            1989 John Taylor Pro Bowl worn jersey with nice use
                            1999 Steve Bono Rams gamer
                            1994 Deion Sanders SF Giants uniform with Dick Dobbins LOA
                            2013 Donte Whitner International Series gamer
                            2012 Colin Kapearnick home jersey worn in multiple games
                            2012 Michael Crabtree home gamer vs Rams

I may have missed a couple or listed a few previously but am always looking for quality 49er game worn items.

Will get off my ass and post some images soon!

Paul
                            garciajones@yahoo.com

Comment

• sjsinohio
                              • Sep 2010

Soooo I have come across this game used Bengals helmet. The guy is telling me its an Archie Griffin game used helmet. Its got all the makings of a game used Cinci helmet with comparisons of others online and pictures, but is it Griffins? The pictures I have seen he has a different mask. maybe it broke or something. Anyway please help me out before I buy this helmet.Click image for larger version

Name:	00t0t_iWtnw4DhQtv_600x450.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	697575

Click image for larger version

Name:	00F0F_e84CanWNnlO_600x450.jpg
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	697576

Name:	01212_kPr0sUP51Je_600x450.jpg
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	697577

Name:	00404_4oKb9zkvroR_600x450.jpg
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	697578

Comment

• sjsinohio
                                • Sep 2010

Hello again, Just want to post some new helmets I picked up. Any thoughts on them would be cool.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...