Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 218 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Re: Show Me your NFL stuff

One of my favorite jerseys.... New Orleans Saints home jersey used in 1980 by Henry Childs and in 1981 by rookie Hoby Brenner. Childs was a tight end who like his sleeves customized to be skin-tight, and when Brenner was given the jersey in 1981, spandex was added to widen the sleeves back out. The thread from the original "Childs" nameplate is still found on the jersey.

I enjoy owning this piece, which was worn by both tight ends on the All-Time Saints team!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Roger,

Thanks. I have to give credit where credit is due, the Tombstone was orginally Patrick's and I picked it up in some of the 'horse trading' that he and I do.

The repairs are pretty amazing on it, the thought is that it was a gamer in 1967 & 1968 and then was recycled by the Broncos as a practice jersey for sometime thereafter - they didn't have much $ so they made do - which undoubtedly added a few repairs. Rich Jackson commented that it was indeed his and he has the nameplate for it in his trophy case. One thing the pictures could not convey is the feel of that backing material they used, it is almost like cloth dipped in varnish to make it hard. Very odd.

To the helmets, yep, all gamers with the exception of the old-school orange one. That was, by all I can uncover, a helmet given to Goose Gonsoulin in 1963 for making the All-AFL team. It has sweat stains inside but wasn't drilled for a mask so I am making an assumption it was used in practice only. The decals are all original as well as the paint on the shell - it has a very faint stenciled 'GOOSE' on the back and the history of it, as I was told by the person who picked it up from Goose, is that Goose had it with him at a post-season party in 1963 and it was there that Goose gave it to him.

The other Broncos helmets are [L to R] Jerry Inman gamer, The Goose, Elway gamer, Rulon Jones gamer. I'll post close up pics of the Inman later tonight - has some odd rust spots on it as well as the old dunguard mask which I think are pretty cool.

By the way, your NFL collection is amazing! Love to see more pics of what you have!

GWH11 - Love that old center jersey!! Linemen jerseys are my favorites!

Thanks,

Tom

Sorry Roger, didn't fully answer your question. No tags - they were cut out but you can see where they had been.

Thanks for the comment on the display but it is patchwork at best right now. The carpenter is coming out in January to build some full wood display cases. Can I ask, did you have your display cases built or did you find them stock? They are very cool!

Thanks,

Tom

Jake51,

The orange crush jerseys are great. The first game used piece I bought was a '93 Robert Delpino (#39) home Bronco jersey. It was well used, the tail had been shortened, sleeve had been shortened and elastic sewn in, no tags either. I got it from Murf Denny at a Tri-Star show in St. Louis. I had a nice Simon Fletcher away also. Both sold during a divorce along with about 100 other jerseys. That depresses me to talk about. I have a 96 Romo that is the most modified jersey I have.

Patrick has nice Bronco stuff also. I wish I would have bought the Morton when they were available a few years ago. I would like to have a Terrell Davis too.

I have got into trying to duplicate the players equipment, pads, neck rolls, collars, rib protectors, etc. in my display. It is a little expensive but I think it adds a lot and is worth it. It keeps me occupied which is what a hobby is suppose to do.

Rose14,
    I picked up the metal stand at a antique mall. I was surprised how well they work on the smaller jerseys. I don't really like the way the real big jerseys hang. Picture attached.

GWH11,
    Great Packer jersey. Nice photo match.

Commando,
    Good to see a older Saints jersey. Its got several modifications for a older jersey.

Indyred,
    Thanks, here are some different photos of the Urlacker. This is one game wear vs the 49ers 10/29/06.

Roger

not nearly as high end or vintage as most of the other stuff in this thread, but I'll throw one of my jerseys on board the thread:

1999 Bobby Taylor Eagles Jersey

-Mike

Always looking for Notre Dame memorabilia
    Private messages ARE enabled

Roger - Great stuff! Love to see pictures of the Romo modifications [and if you ever want to part with it, keep me in mind. ]

Cool idea on replicating the equipment.

Speaking of modifications, here are some pictures of a Dennis Smith gamer. He wore the oversized shoulder pads so he would have the under side of his sleeves cut out and replaced with a stretchy material.

Also some pictures of the Inman helmet.

Beavis - Cool Eagles jersey.

Thanks,

Tom

The 96 Romo has tucks taken on the shoulders and front and back of each sleeve. The back mesh is cut up into the dazzle cloth shoulders. It has eyelets under each arm. A crouch piece is added. This jersey was made so you could not grab hold of it. Plus is has numerous repairs and sewn in repair pieces.

Check out the grill on that helmet. That helmet is one nice piece

Beavis, thanks for posting the Taylor. What else you got?

Roger

Roger,

You've got some amazing jerseys.

Ok, here's another one of my "common" jerseys.

1997 Willie Clark Eagles jersey (acquired from Meigray)
    - has a bunch of marks, few holes/tears, and a couple of repairs

If you're wondering why in the world I would have a Willie Clark jersey (or even who the heck Willie Clark was), the answer lies in what he and Bobby Taylor have in common (besides the obvious fact that they both played for the Eagles).
    -Mike

Always looking for Notre Dame memorabilia
    Private messages ARE enabled

Quote Originally Posted by RKGIBSON View Post
    Jake51,

The orange crush jerseys are great. The first game used piece I bought was a '93 Robert Delpino (#39) home Bronco jersey. It was well used, the tail had been shortened, sleeve had been shortened and elastic sewn in, no tags either. I got it from Murf Denny at a Tri-Star show in St. Louis. I had a nice Simon Fletcher away also. Both sold during a divorce along with about 100 other jerseys. That depresses me to talk about. I have a 96 Romo that is the most modified jersey I have.

Patrick has nice Bronco stuff also. I wish I would have bought the Morton when they were available a few years ago. I would like to have a Terrell Davis too.

Roger
    Roger:

For enough $$ all are available... The only caveat being that, due to gentleman's agreement, Tom (Jake51) has the right of first refusal and since his pockets are pretty deep, bid big or stay home. Now, all kidding aside...

If you're after a Morton jersey, I advise that caution be exercised should one become available. I've seen a few that have been pretty questionable. One in particular offered at auction a few years ago came with Craig's letter stating that it was game worn in SB XII (played Jan 1978), the only problem is that the Russell tagging on this jersey dated post-1983, a year (or more) after Morton's '82 retirement. In a twist of just irony, the winning bidder (who paid way too much IMO @ > $2K), turned out to be Donruss/Playoff who cut this up into 3/4" squares for application to "game-worn" insert cards. In another instance, the same auction house offered what was advertised as Craig's final game-worn jersey from 1982--also accompanied by a letter from Craig--however, again the Russell tagging was from '83 or after, and the jersey's style was not one was in place until circa 1986-'88 period. Caveat emptor!

Regards,
    Patrick W. Scoggin
    Endzone Sports Charities
    www.EndzoneSportsCharities.org

I wouldn't wear this one in Pittsburgh...I have gotten over Super Bowl XXX though, I always liked O'Donnell when he was with the Steelers.

Any other Steeler jerseys out there??? Love to see the gamers...