Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 49 of 218 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Re: Show Me your NFL stuff

aeneas01,
    Recently found the site and appreciate all the fantastic pics and info. I don't want to step on any toes but I wanted to clarify that Earl Campbell actually wore the Rawlings HND 9 during his 2nd (1979) and 3rd (1980) year with the Oilers. I have numerous pics from those seasons (mostly SI) as well as numerous video clips that would confirm it. Campbell did switch to the Rawlings RTS 'noodle' helmet but it was after wearing the HND 9 for at least two years as the RTS was introduced in 1981.

Roger,
    I am new to the forum but I have recently been viewing some of the old postings when I came across your fantastic Roger Wehrli / Rawlings helmet. At the time you thought it was from 73-75 and I would confirm that it definitely is from 1975. The HND 9 had 8 horizontal screws run in line and that placement is unique to 1975. (Bradshaw also wore that particular style HND 9 from Super Bowl X until Super Bowl XIII. His previous HND 9 had the 'normal' offset (high/low) screw placement.)

Quote Originally Posted by yosef777 View Post
    Roger,
    I am new to the forum but I have recently been viewing some of the old postings when I came across your fantastic Roger Wehrli / Rawlings helmet. At the time you thought it was from 73-75 and I would confirm that it definitely is from 1975. The HND 9 had 8 horizontal screws run in line and that placement is unique to 1975. (Bradshaw also wore that particular style HND 9 from Super Bowl X until Super Bowl XIII. His previous HND 9 had the 'normal' offset (high/low) screw placement.)
    cool....another helmet guy on here!!!!!

Yosef777,

Thanks for the info. I have come to think that it was from 75 also, photo attached. It came from a good source in St Louis.

I live south of St Louis so was a Cardinal fan as a kid watching players like, John David Crow, Bobby Joe Conrad, Larry Wilson, Jackie Smith, Larry Stallings, Pat Fisher and Wehrli. That is where I heard my first cuss word as my dad watched the Cards. The Wehrli helmet is one of my favorites. Bring back good memories.

Roger
    irestorecars@sbcglobal.net
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by yoseff777
    aeneas01, Recently found the site and appreciate all the fantastic pics and info. I don't want to step on any toes but I wanted to clarify that Earl Campbell actually wore the Rawlings HND 9 during his 2nd (1979) and 3rd (1980) year with the Oilers. I have numerous pics from those seasons (mostly SI) as well as numerous video clips that would confirm it. Campbell did switch to the Rawlings RTS 'noodle' helmet but it was after wearing the HND 9 for at least two years as the RTS was introduced in 1981.
    there's no doubt campbell wore an hnd9 (the same style as dorsett) - in fact i don't think he ever wore an rts. did i have a brain fart and say that he wore an rts and not an hnd9 somewhere along the way? i ask because i was actually contacted by a couple of auction houses that wanted me to take a look at a good looking campbell hnd9 they had - the first time was a couple of years ago and the second time was last year. given that it was the same lid i pretty much emailed them the same thing...

Quote Originally Posted by "yoseff777
    Roger, I am new to the forum but I have recently been viewing some of the old postings when I came across your fantastic Roger Wehrli / Rawlings helmet. At the time you thought it was from 73-75 and I would confirm that it definitely is from 1975. The HND 9 had 8 horizontal screws run in line and that placement is unique to 1975. (Bradshaw also wore that particular style HND 9 from Super Bowl X until Super Bowl XIII. His previous HND 9 had the 'normal' offset (high/low) screw placement.)
    i'm not sure you have the dates right on the "8 horizontal screw" approach/style. below are some photos including sonny jurgensen (1974), bill curry (1973), a redskins player (1973) and bradshaw (1974).

as far as hnd9 models are concerned (ridge models and non-ridge models), two different types of 8-point crown pad configurations were used as you probably know. one type of crown pad concentrated the attachment points in close groups of two (two at the front, two at the back and two on each side of the shell) while the other type (wherli helmet) distributed the attachment points more evenly (one at the front, one at the rear and three per each side of the shell). beyond the crown pad styles, nape and forehead attachment configurations varied as well. in the case of the wherli helmet model, rawlings did not use separate screws for these paddings as they did with other models. on a side note, one thing i've always found interesting is that on some of the rawlings' hnd9 models with the more evenly distributed crown pads, the crown pad is only attached at 6 points while two points (center side points) were left unattached.

here's a look at various hnd9 model styles including a look at the two different styles of crown pads used....

here are a few shots of wehrli sporting his hnd9. the top right photo shows him after he added a riddell wildcat bumper to his helmet (as can be seen with roger's lid). not only does this shot show him with the wildcat bumper but it also looks like a new hnd9 given that his previous hnd9 had side facemask holes drilled....

and i concur with the rest of the gang - great to have another helmet afficianado onboard! as far as stepping on toes is concerned, nonesense! i don't think anyone here is a paid authenticators claiming that he/she is the world's foremost expert on an item and therefore has final word in the matter! what fun would that be? thankfully it's all about learning as much as we can around here!

robert

Lions Helmets

Ok got a few out. Am trying to reorganize jersies right now. 1ST is a 1950's Jug Girard(1955?) It matches pretty well with a photo I've seen. Don't know the style on this one. 2nd one is supposedly a late 70's Gary Danielson. I'm not a helmet expert but it matches up fairly well with a few pics I've seen including the weird way the facemask is attached. But did they wear blue guards? I don'y know what kind of helmet this is or if it could even be real. Last 2 are Crocket and Blades and they are Riddel WD 1's. Any comments on the 1st 2 helmets? Thanks Kirk

Rest of pics...Crockett and BBlades

Danielson pics with weirdly attached face mask.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkb View Post
    Rest of pics...Crockett and BBlades
    Psst...
    Robert...
    More of the Royal blue WD1 helmets from 1990 or 1991 - just like the Sanders that I have.

Kirk:

Where did you pick up the Blades helmet. It was a royal blue WD1 helmet that was painted silver. I bought a Lions helmet that also was a royal blue helmet - painted silver - WD1. I am curious where you picked up the Blades, as I can not find a photo of any Lions helmet that were royal - painted silver. It requires finding a photo of the interior of a helmet used during these years, which I can't find. There was also a "Sanders" rookie helmet on ebay that sold last year through an auction house, that was also royal blue on the interior. No one seems to agree that the Lions ever used any royal helmets that were painted.