Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aeneas01
    • May 2007

Re: Show Me your NFL stuff

good grief - and the gems continue to roll in! what do you think the collective dollar value is for all of the items pictured in this thread? a small mint, to be sure!

nice to to see your hnd9 again beantown! man, i wish i would have been a little braver with my cash on that auction! you got a great deal on that one! although, i have to say, it seems to have changed just a wee bit !

and drj, that's a beauty of a collection as well! your steeler helmet looks like a classic hnd9 as well? speaking of classic rawlings helmets, can you tell me what model rawlings your cards helmet is gm80? it would be very much appreciated!
    robert

Comment

• bigklu18
      • Apr 2006

DrJ,

Can you tell me what Bengals helmets you have ?

Comment

• The Titan
        • Aug 2007

DrJ,
        Love the helmet collection you have. Especially the Oilers helmets.
        Amazing collection, I never thought of getting into collecting helmets or wouldn't even know the first place to start. But I sure love your collection of Oilers helmets.

Comment

• DrJ
          • Nov 2005

Thanks for everyones responses and I'll try to put a list together later with player names to answer everyones questions.

Titan - I like the Oilers helmets too. I limit myself to 2 per style, but with the Oilers being defunct I picked up a couple extras.

P.S. - As a person who recently moved East, I can say that you jersey collectors definately have an advantage when it comes time to pack up and move. I almost changed hobby niches right there and then...

Comment

• RKGIBSON
            • Mar 2006

Do any of you helmet guys have any red face mask clips for a 80's Oiler helmet?

irestorecars@sbcglobal.net

Roger

Comment

• DrJ
              • Nov 2005

RK - You can buy them from helmethut for $25 for a set of four w/ screws. I just checked, they have Red, Yellow, etc.

Comment

• bigklu18
                • Apr 2006

Here are my two Bengals helmets - a Corey Dillon and a Rudi Johnson. I just met Rudi and had him sign the helmet.
                Attached Files

Comment

• MichaelofSF
                  • Apr 2007

1997 Dave Meggett Patriots jersey
                  Meggett was my favorite football player growing up. I know he may have been a jerk to women, but I loved watching him play football and will never forget him giving me his jersey at the 97 pro bowl afc practice. Just got this from Grey Flannel's Holiday auction. Jersey has two team repairs on the back and comes with a PSA/DNA authentication sticker, as well as team stamp on inside (all not included in GFA item description).

Comment

• MichaelofSF
                    • Apr 2007

actually three repairs

Comment

• commando
                      • Nov 2007

You may not remember Jeff Groth unless you're a Saints fan. Groth was a wide receiver for the Dolphins, Oilers and Saints from 1979-85, and caught Ken Stabler's last NFL completion. Here is Mr. Groth's helmet from the 1982-85 era, a Riddell WD1 with the thick fleur de lis logos. Pictured are the original rear numbers, proper for the early to mid 1980s.
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic
                      Anthony Nunez
                      Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
                      www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Comment

• saftey45
                        • Jan 2006

I have acouple of Chicago Bears jerseys from the Super Bowl team. But I think these are the best jerseys. Not the best or biggest players but those cost tons and are questionable at best in my opinion. Thanks for asking for pictures. Anyone else have Bears or the 3/4 sleeve jerseys?? Mike

Comment

• 34swtns
                          • Apr 2006

I think I might have a couple laying around......

Comment

• RKGIBSON
                            • Mar 2006

Nice Saints helmet, and Meggett jersey.
                            I think 34swtns and safety45 between them have all the Bear jerseys.

Here is my Earl Campbell helmet. DrJ this is the one I need the facemask clips for.

Roger
                            Attached Files

Comment

• commando
                              • Nov 2007

That's a heck of a Campbell lid... I'm sure it would be very easy to photo match, if you haven't already.
                              sigpic
                              Anthony Nunez
                              Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
                              www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Comment

• aeneas01
                                • May 2007

roger, imo your campbell helmet epitomizes the type of thing that makes lid collecting so interesting given that it's not just a lid that once belonged to one of the best ever, but it's also a lid that tells an interesting story.

like many players from his era, campbell wore a clearshell helmet (a macgregor in his case) during his college playing days, but because most pro teams didn't use clearshell lids he switched to a riddell when he joined the oilers. dan marino, tony dorsett and hugh green were other stars that wore clearshells throughout their college days but who also switched to non-clearshell lids when they hit the pros. only a handful of players, such as billy simms, continued to sport a clearshell when they joined the pros.

but back to campbell - after wearing a riddell during his first year with the oilers, rawlings offered him a contract to wear one of their models; from the photos available it appears that he exclusively wore a rawlings rts "surgical tube" model even though the rawlings hnd9 model was by far the most popular rawlings helmet worn by the pros at the time. but, for whatever reason, campbell switched back to a riddell after 4 years of wearing a rawlings - perhaps he just favored the fit of riddell's new af2.

but what makes this switch in helmet models so interesting is that apparently campbell's deal with rawlings had not expired. as such, campbell had a famous rawlings "r" (which easily identified rawlings helmets) taped to his riddell helmet and also had the "riddell" forehead pad logo appearing above the facemask replaced with the "rawlings" forehead pad logo. classic!

i've only seen this sort of thing a couple of times before - for a while jack lambert used a riddell "wildcat" forehead pad on his rawlings suspnsion helmet but used white tape to cover the "riddell" logo and tony dorsett used a "wilson" forehead logo on his clearshell macgregor for a time when at pitt (did wilson float tony some cash for this?).

as far as your helmet is concerned roger, i've seen a boatload of authentic game used oilers af2 helmets sold at auction through the years including two "earl campbell"s that i doubted immediately, but imo yours looks great. below are some photos of the 1983 pro bowl in which you can clearly see campbell wearing a riddell with rawlings logos...

robert

Comment

Working...