Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you prefer Natural Ability (Own) or Enhanced Ability (Steroids)?

Looking over many past threads about steroid use, some are against it and some don't have a problem with it.

Myself, I prefer natual ability.

What do you prefer?

Re: Do you prefer Natural Ability (Own) or Enhanced Ability (Steroids)?

As a sportswriter recently said, "Barry Bonds is the best player ever who used steroids."

More curious to see, say if MLB was considering making steriods and/or enhancers legal for ball players to use, would you prefer natural ability or would you like to see players use things to enhance their power?

I agree with the President of the Tour de France when he said, "I have no interest in watching a pharmeceuticals race."

I like watching humans compete. I'm not interested in seeing which steroid hit the longest home run and which blood transfusion came in first.

If baseball allows players to artificially enhance their stats with drugs, why shouldn't baseball just give up the ghost and pad the stats statistically. If a player hits a 500 home run, MLB might as well add 20 percent and say he hit a 600 home run. If a player hits 40 home runs in a season, why shouldn't MLB just automatically add 20 percent and write down that he hit 48? How's would this be any less artificial than adding 20 percent by human growth hormone?

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I agree with the President of the Tour de France when he said, "I have no interest in watching a pharmeceuticals race."

I like watching humans compete. I'm not interested in seeing which steroid hit the longest home run and which blood transfusion came in first.
    I agree with this. Heck, if you're going to allow steroids, why not just allow people to make robots to hit the ball 1,000 feet or pitch 250 mph? I like to watch natural athletes, because you can better appreciate what they are doing. With a natural athlete, you think to yourself: Could I do that? Versus thinking: Could I do that if I juiced enough or had enough illegal substances coursing through my veins?

Hows this for a compromise? MLB allow players to use any drugs they want, but automatically cuts everyone's stats by 50 percent? This way players can have the joys of HGH booster shots and shrunken testicles and fans can have realistic statistics.

The important thing to note is that most MLB players wish there was some way to completely eliminate steroids/HGH/et al from baseball forever, as they are well aware how potentially dangerous and perhaps even deadly these drugs are.

I should add that the only players who wouldn't dream of steroids being eliminated are the players who know they have the natural talent to complete-- which illustrates what a sham a sport based on steroid use is. Steroid use ensures that many of the players you watch don't even have the natural ability to be there. You aren't watching big leaguers, you're watching AA with a butt injection.

This issue will be very complicated in the future as human beings master gene therapy/gene selection.

Once we figure out out to order a-la-carte the genetic "stuff" that makes athletes so magical we will have problems.

I'd like to order a son with Shaq's size, Jordans vertical, Bo speed and explosiveness, and Barry's elusiveness.