Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can a display add value or bring down value to a game used piece?

Hello all,

So I managed to pickup two game used balls that were actually from hits in the 2007 Futures game. They are the only game used balls I have seen circulated from this game.

Because I have them I was thinking about getting a display made custom that would hold both along with a aerial picture of the field during that game and a copy of the boxscore, all in a one piece display. (I could have gotten the aerial shot with autos all over it from the players of the game, but it would have cost me $200!).

However, its going to be pricey, and I don't want to put money into this if it isn't going to help resale in the future.

Your thoughts?

Brian B.

Re: Can a display add value or bring down value to a game used piece?

Sounds like a neat idea. I find that putting certain items in an attractive display brings more interest and a slightly better price. You can keep your cost down by hitting your local craft store. You should be able to find a deep enough shadow box that will hold the baseballs. Just an idea.
    Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !

If the object is resale, an attractive display always helps. I like it even if for myself!!!

RK

Banned

I've found personally that I never recover my investment into my display cases. Why? People usually want the item to fit into a room that holds their collection, and your display may very well not blend with their other displays. I've spent thousands on Caseworks display cases and when I sell items with cases I see very little bump in value.

if dont think displays add to value of an item. people want the item not the added shipping cost for the display.

also make sure that the item can be removed from the display without getting damaged. nothing like some adhesive tape or glue should touch the game used item.

then again something really attractive may peak a collectors interests. its all a matter of taste.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Here are my thoughts...

1. The display would make a good piece a great piece; however, don't expect that the value of the item will increase by the cost of the display.

2. The display is generally done to the specifications of the owner's room (for example, it would be made to custom fit yourwall, not the wall of the next prospective buyer... hence, it is more valuable to you than the next guy.

3. Make sure that the display does not affect the integrity of your item in any way... that would be detrimental. For example, I have seen game used jerseys mounted with glue and/or pins. I have seen game used balls attached to shadowboxes with screws through them. There are plenty of bad ways to display your items. They may look nice when displayed, but should you ever need to take the item out, the item should be 100% in tact.

Excellent points. I know when I take certain items in to be framed that might contain valued signatures - by all means, know your frame shop - feel safe and comfortable leaving the items there...

Good point aboutthe displays to. I make my own to fit my room, as do most people. I highly doubt that if i sell an item that the display would go with it. Always plan on the display being not part of the program...

For a 50 lb glass displayed jersey, many collectors won't pay extra for the display and may not even want it. This is in particular when they don't plan on displaying it. After they fold and put the jersey in the closet, what are they going to do with 50 lbs of of empty glass?

If it's for something smaller and more handleable, like a baseball or golf ball with photo, then more might like a display.

I should add that if a big poster in a Mastro or Lelands is framed in glass, I know they're going to charge like $100-$200 for shipping, so I don't bid unless it's something I really want.

A couple of years ago REA sold a bunch of paintings. They removed all the paintings from the frames, so they wouldn't have to deal with shipping, glass cracking, carrying packages the size and weight of bed cushions, etc. Lifson said that, with the saved shipping cost, the winner could purchased his own frame.

Unless its a display that I'm specifically looking for, I would prefer to buy an item w/o a display and deal with it in a way to my liking.
    kelly