Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Re: Mickey Mantle UDA Ball

Sammy, I don't know how you pick them out but eBay ended this auction!

When I used to buy and sell thousands of UDA autographed items a year (which was about 7-10 years ago) I never doubted things, but it appears the new game is to put the wrong holograms on bad baseballs or something like that because this is not the first one you have found.

Aren't those holograms supposed to come apart if you were to take them off. Isn't or wasn't that the point of putting holograms on these items.

-PJK

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PJK
    Aren't those holograms supposed to come apart if you were to take them off. Isn't or wasn't that the point of putting holograms on these items.
    I believe holograms on felt were easy to remove. They may have originally not used tamper resistant holograms and Mantle signed in the early historical days of Upper Deck Authenticated.

I agree; I won a ball through Coach's Corner (Don't all yell at me, I know what I'm doing, sorta) that was a Mantle with the UDA sticker on it. When i got it, the sticker was practically falling off and the ball was horrible. They gave me my money back, but that was my lesson in not believing UDA holograms.

Ken

The UDA hologram, even the current ones, is not tamper-proof meaning it does not fall apart when it is removed. As a UDA distributor myself, I have often times received jerseys without the hologram in the right spot only to find the hologram stuck fully intact on the inside of the jersey or elsewhere.

So the thought of finding a UDA hologram on a fake item is fathomable, especially on UDA items pre-2001 where the picture of the autograph cannot be found online.

Simply calling UDA and asking if the hologram # matches the player may not be good enough for vintage UDA stuff.

Hope this helps somebody

Goh

I did not know that. Pretty dumb on UDA part not to use the tamper resistant stickers. Are these still the rock solid investment baseballs that they were before? Doesn't this lead to a level of authenticy anarachay. Who can you believe?

Banned

Even with the very few questionable items with UDA holograms I have seen, I would still take a UDA Mickey Mantle or UDA Ted Williams autographed baseball over any other.

In regard to the baseballs with UDA stickers that I found questionable, my concerns were based on the autograph.

As with all items, know your business. Do not depend on the COA for 100 percent assurance.