Anybody familiar with these Sandknit tags?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 33bird
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Re: Anybody familiar with these Sandknit tags?

Grey flannel sent it to Mears and Mears gave it an A10 grade. Said the tagging is from 1981/82 because it matches some baseball tagging from those years and they found a McHale jersey that has the same tagging. Here's the jersey and info from Mears. What do you guys think now?
    Greg
    Attached Files

Comment

• 10thMan
      • Dec 2006

I bought a Chargers practice Jersey from Eric S. our forum admin. Here`s the tagging.
      Sean
      Attached Files

Comment

• jdr3
        • Nov 2005

It makes me wonder why Grey Flannel needs to send their own merchandise out if they are "the standard of the industry." If the industry is providing crap, then they certainly are the standard.

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by 33bird
          Grey flannel sent it to Mears and Mears gave it an A10 grade. Said the tagging is from 1981/82 because it matches some baseball tagging from those years and they found a McHale jersey that has the same tagging. Here's the jersey and info from Mears. What do you guys think now?
          Greg
          What do we guys think now? Who said MEARS is the end all-be all? Who is to say this baseball jersey and McHale jersey are legit?
          In my opinion, I believe MEARS is wrong. If we could see photos of the McHale and baseball jersey, then I will admit I am wrong. I think the tags are forged. However, this is my opinion, and I am not an expert or authenticator. Why are there so many BIRDS out there?

The Chargers jersey from Eric is MacGregor Sandknit. It could not be older than 1985.

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
            • Nov 2005

Greg
            I thought MEARS gave A10s to Pre-1987 shirts with team provenance? Am I wrong?

Comment

• 33bird
              Banned
              • Nov 2005

I didn't mean it that way. I'm with you. I was offered the jersey again after it was graded-and I don't have the money to buy it anyway-but to me it just doesn't seem exactly right, still. Plus, I checked the 3 images that Mears used to photo style match and I don't think any of the 3 are dead on. It's possible, I guess, that Sandknit might have tagged it that way, apparently they did it on some baseball jerseys that way in 1981/82, but......Too many buts for me. Just my 2 cents.
              Greg

Comment

• 33bird
                Banned
                • Nov 2005

This jersey didn't have team prov. Is that what you're asking. Basically, everything has to be just right for a pre-87 jersey to get an A10. After 1987 it needs perfect prov. or team prov. to get an A10.
                Greg

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                  • Nov 2005

I didn't mean it that way. I'm with you. I was offered the jersey again after it was graded-and I don't have the money to buy it anyway-but to me it just doesn't seem exactly right, still. Plus, I checked the 3 images that Mears used to photo style match and I don't think any of the 3 are dead on. It's possible, I guess, that Sandknit might have tagged it that way, apparently they did it on some baseball jerseys that way in 1981/82, but......Too many buts for me. Just my 2 cents.
                  Greg
                  Is MEARS trying to win an authenticating account from Grey Flannel? The authenticators for the Hall of Fame need help? I think we should all ask for help in researching a jersey. No one knows everything. If you claim you do, you are setting yourself up for failure.

Comment

• 33bird
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2005

The thing about it that bugged me too, is look at that medalist tag, doesn't it look brand new? The one of above it looks older, looks like it's been washed a number of times, but the bottom one looks brand new to me-and that is that one that was normally a 1983 and after tag, right?
                    Greg

Comment

• otismalibu
                      • Nov 2005

Here's some auction pics that include shots of the tagging.

Bird
                      http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4081329

Ainge
                      http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/2368160

DJ
                      http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4081338

Cowens
                      http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4081275

Hondo (road)
                      http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/2368147

Hondo (home)
                      http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4081263

White
                      http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4081314
                      Greg
                      DrJStuff.com

Comment

• jdr3
                        • Nov 2005

[quote=both-teams-played-hard;69303]What do we guys think now? Who said MEARS is the end all-be all? Who is to say this baseball jersey and McHale jersey are legit?
                        In my opinion, I believe MEARS is wrong. If we could see photos of the McHale and baseball jersey, then I will admit I am wrong. I think the tags are forged. However, this is my opinion, and I am not an expert or authenticator. Why are there so many BIRDS out there?

quote]

Very well said, Warren.

Comment

Working...