Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Don Mattingly Game Used Bat on Ebay

Re: Don Mattingly Game Used Bat on Ebay

I'm no expert on Matty but I've never seen a Cooper Mattingly bat before and I've never seen Mattingly write his #23 on the knob.......any of the more familar Matty collectors have any input?

Yes, Mattingly used Cooper bats, and I believe the bat is legit. Mattingly has written #23 on the bottom of his bats...I have one myself. To me, this bat is the real deal and am debating on whether to bid on this one myself. I think George and Jim would agree. Hope this helps Tony.

Mike

[quote=Vintagedeputy;62535 I've never seen Mattingly write his #23 on the knob.......any of the more familar Matty collectors have any input?[/quote]

I' ve seen plenty of photographic eveidence of Mattingly using Cooper bats

Don Mattingly used both blonde and two tone Cooper bats in the early 90's. The model number is correct for Mattingly and I have seen both Louisville and Cooper examples with tape on the handle from this period in the fashion that you see on this bat. His #23 on the knob is also consistent with other examples from this era. All in all - I would say this Cooper seems to be a nice example from this era........Jim

There's photos in his new hitting book of him using Coopers. Jim's blog shows a Cooper that he owned (now in George's possession). Check ebay's baseball card and photo collections and you'll see Donnie using Coopers in the 90's. Again, hope this helps everyone...now stay away from the bat, its mine !!!

Mike

I'd have to weigh in affirmatively on this one as well. I have a 2-tone Cooper from this era that came to me by way of Jim C.

I've also picked up a few nice items from Jim Popham over the years - which is where this bat apparently came from per the seller's description.
    R.J. Hinners

Always looking for Don Mattingly and other Yankees' game-used items and quality memorabilia.

Good info! I guess the only ones that I've seen come up for sale recently were LS. You guys are on the ball!