Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Is it just me or......

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post
    hi nate

2 identical bats would sell for completely different prices due solely to how many times each one was bought and sold.

rudy.
    Rudy -

Probably one of the most important rules to collecting memorabilia. Excellent point.

Dave

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post
    hi nate

while i think a finders fee is fair, i don't think it should be rolled into the cost of the item. i think it should be separate. if it's automatically rolled in, then it completely messes with any notion of a "market price". 2 identical bats would sell for completely different prices due solely to how many times each one was bought and sold.

rudy.
    KingJammy and BigTruck I disagree, How can you say it is solely sold on how many times it has switched hands??? Yes I understand your theory but its just that, a theory.

If I have a bat that switched hands 2 times and I bought it for $200 and I feel the bat is worth a lot I may want to list it for $1000
    When someone else who maybe the the 6th person to buy a similar bat may have bought it for $600 and is looking to make a minimum profit and sell it for $700

So you can't say market value on something soley goes by how many hands it has exchanged through. Also 2 people wanting the same item at the same time can cause market value to change on an item. There are many reasons.

Suave
    I think you misunderstood KingJammy's point. Not the SAME item being sold more than once, but a SIMILAR or LIKE item being sold on another occasion.

I think people are lazy and don't do detailed searches on eBay. If you only search the "Game Used" section, you won't get the best deals nor will you see all of the actual game used items. The best items are poorly listed without proper key words.
    Did anyone see this Game Used Johnny Podres Dodgers Flannel?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=020
    You might have missed it, if you only search Game Used-Major League Baseball-Jerseys...

Banned

Both Teams Play hard holy moly my hats off to ya now that was a buried treasure , i hope you won that item.

I wasnt talking about jerseys for 10 to 40 I am talking about bats. I am not going to name anyone but here is an example of what I was talking about:

Not to long ago I purchased I Jay Payton game used bat on ebay for like 25 bucks. I have seen people on here trying to sell a game used bat of him for 125 bucks. I am not sure if it was purchased or not for 125 but when did Jay Payton become worth 125? Just an example of what I am talking about.

I'll chime in...

I was about to buy a Bernard Gilkey bat from a site called Boombats.com - I tried to reserve it, but the site seems dead (?) and the email was returned to me. Maybe you will have better luck!

Anyway, since that did not work out, and I needed a Gilkey Cards era bat, I bid $25 for one last week on eBay. I am sure the seller would have liked to get more, but (fortunately for me), I was the only taker.

NOW, I would have been perfectly happy paying $70 for a nearly identical bat that was unsigned (the $25 bat was signed)...but I ended up paying far less. What is the market value? Hmmmm. I might list it here for $100 and if no takers - I would accept offers, etc. If no bids one week, there is always a possiblity that someone else might be looking for a Gilkey bat the next. They are not the most common of Cardinal bats. This one happens to be a rookie bat - maybe someone in his family is looking for it. It was not listed as a rookie gamer...

There are those who are simply in it to flip them and turn a profit too...it is the American way. We do it with real estate, cars, etc. Not sure what is wrong with it.
    If someone is willing to buy it, and you can make a buck - Go for it.

Dave