Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Peyton Manning GU UDA Helmet

http://cgi.ebay.com/UDA-GAME-WORN-PE...QQcmdZViewItem

I've contacted the seller on this and I'm awaiting a response. My concern is after looking at photos of Manning from the 2002 NFL season, he is not wearing this style helmet. In photos, Manning is wearing a Revolution helmet with a different style blue facemask...thoughts anyone?

Re: Peyton Manning GU UDA Helmet

The only photo I found that came close was this from January 02 but still no match. I checked a photo from every game from 02 on Getty, Could not find a match.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !

When did they start making the revolution helmet?

Jojo

Quote Originally Posted by Texans View Post
    When did they start making the revolution helmet?

Jojo

NDSU has worn them for the last two seasons. So, we got them for fall of 2006.
    Broncos middle linebacker.....Joe Mays!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Collecting - Tyrone Braxton (Broncos 87-93 Dolphins 94 Broncos 95-99), Phil Hansen (Bills 91-01), Steve Nelson (Patriots 74-87), Stacy Robinson (Giants 85-90), Kevin Donnalley (Patriots 1981), Lamar Gordon (Rams 02-03, Dolphins 04, Eagles 05, Lions 06), Jared Peck (Falcons 2004), Craig Dahl (Giants 2007-08, Rams 2009-10), Joe Mays (Eagles 2008-09, Broncos 2010), & Dick Hanson (Giants 1971) among others. :rolleyes:

What more can the guy provide as proof that it's authentic??????

Quote Originally Posted by beantown View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/UDA-GAME-WORN-PE...QQcmdZViewItem

I've contacted the seller on this and I'm awaiting a response. My concern is after looking at photos of Manning from the 2002 NFL season, he is not wearing this style helmet. In photos, Manning is wearing a Revolution helmet with a different style blue facemask...thoughts anyone?
    Broncos middle linebacker.....Joe Mays!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Collecting - Tyrone Braxton (Broncos 87-93 Dolphins 94 Broncos 95-99), Phil Hansen (Bills 91-01), Steve Nelson (Patriots 74-87), Stacy Robinson (Giants 85-90), Kevin Donnalley (Patriots 1981), Lamar Gordon (Rams 02-03, Dolphins 04, Eagles 05, Lions 06), Jared Peck (Falcons 2004), Craig Dahl (Giants 2007-08, Rams 2009-10), Joe Mays (Eagles 2008-09, Broncos 2010), & Dick Hanson (Giants 1971) among others. :rolleyes:

Banned

It matches from my memory what Manning wore before switching to the Revolution which would have been around that time, and the Upper Deck paperwork looks solid. Of course, UD has been known to make errors and a standard Riddell isn't hard to fake.

manning switched to a revolution in 2002, prior to that he wore a vsr4 which is what's currently being sold on ebay. and, fwiw, there are many things about the ebay helmet that are consistent with the vsr4 manning wore but, imo, that doesn't mean it ever belonged to manning.

i would ask the seller for the manufacturer's date stamp appearing on the helmet - if it's later than 2002 i would think that would be very telling. i would also ask the seller for facemask clip and facemask date info.

another "game used manning helmet" with upper deck paperwork was listed on ebay a while back and discussed on the following thread. the seller ended up removing it from ebay before auction's end.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ead.php?t=9708

Quote Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
    manning switched to a revolution in 2002, prior to that he wore a vsr4 which is what's currently being sold on ebay. and, fwiw, there are many things about the ebay helmet that are consistent with the vsr4 manning wore but, imo, that doesn't mean it ever belonged to manning.

i would ask the seller for the manufacturer's date stamp appearing on the helmet - if it's later than 2002 i would think that would be very telling. i would also ask the seller for facemask clip and facemask date info.

another "game used manning helmet" with upper deck paperwork was listed on ebay a while back and discussed on the following thread. the seller ended up removing it from ebay before auction's end.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ead.php?t=9708
    Sellers response to questions about date stamp and face mask clip dates.....

this helmet is from eraly in peyton's career pre 2002 so unlike the newer hekmets there are no date stamps on the helmet or face mask.

if you're up to it, tell the seller that it's required by law that all of these items are date stamped in order to provide an audit trail in the event of equipment failure - in short, his helmet, facemask and clips are all date stamped.

tell him he can find the helmet's date stamp on the inside of the shell near the top/center (crown area) and can find the facemask clip and facemask dates as well by looking for a series of numbers and/or letters.

here are a couple of threads which show what to look for:

helmet date code for this era helmet:
    http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...highlight=date

facemask and facemask clips dae codes:
    http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...highlight=date