Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
    Banned

Celtics 1960 game used shorts? Help.

Anybody know anything about Celtics game used shorts in the 1960s? I'm looking at a pair but don't know much. They're wilson with a number tag, but the size is written in. I checked mears and they have a couple pairs and they're Wilson but the numbers are written on, not sewn on. Here's the pictures. LMK if know ANYTHING about shorts for the 60's. Thanks,
    Greg
    biggamebird@yahoo.com
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: Celtics 1960 game used shorts? Help.

I have seen a San Francisco Warriors jersey where the size and extra length were written on the tag.These shorts were in two of Lelands prior auctions.I would think size 38 would be a bit large for Bill Russell unless the wrong size was written on the tag.I have seen a warm up of his and the pants were size 36.

The handwritten size and extra length on the tagging was a standard for Wilson. I have owned and still own many. The tagging from the Celtics shorts was used in 1960. These photos are from a warm-up, DEFINITELY from 1960:

I have seen some Wilson pieces from the early 60s with similar chain-stitched uniform number for identification purposes. I am not sure about the Celtics. The size? Who can be sure? However it would be nice to see a common player with the same uniform number swatch.

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    I have seen some Wilson pieces from the early 60s with similar chain-stitched uniform number for identification purposes.
    A similar uniform number swatch on a late 50-early 60s Wilson basketball shooting shirt:

Banned

I won these Russell shorts on ebay. Thanks for the help guys. Everything looked right from all the research I did on them. This same pair went for 3000.00 on Lelands a few years ago-and I got them for 860.00! Russell was 6'10-230 pounds by the mid-60s. I think size 38 is just right-even though he did wear a size 36 too-that's pretty close. I'm 6 foot 190 and I wear a 36. Thanks again.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 33bird View Post
    I won these Russell shorts on ebay. Thanks for the help guys. Everything looked right from all the research I did on them. This same pair went for 3000.00 on Lelands a few years ago-and I got them for 860.00! Russell was 6'10-230 pounds by the mid-60s. I think size 38 is just right-even though he did wear a size 36 too-that's pretty close. I'm 6 foot 190 and I wear a 36. Thanks again.
    Greg
    Seems like you got a good deal. They look good. I hope they turn out to be the real thing!

Banned

Thanks BTPH. If you could, and anybody else, email me pictures of your items that our tagged similar to the Russell shorts, I would really appreciate it. I'm sending them to Mears so I'll include photos for them to look at when I send. Thanks,
    Greg
    biggamebird@yahoo.com

Banned

Yea, I saw that. Both lost money reselling them.
    Greg

Banned

That's why auction houses are always a crapshoot. Could go high, could go low. In what auction they go for 3200.00 and a year later they go for 900.00? I feel bad for the guy that paid 3200.00 and then sold them and got 900.00. Wow! Plus, if you're selling, you're gonna lose another 20% or so more when they grab their fee.
    Greg