I've been looking at an ebay auction for the past few days that is titled: "291 HR Game Used Bat 1/1 George Brett G Gossage." I find this auction interesting not just because I am a Royals and George Brett fan, but because of the inscription and letter that comes with the bat. The bat is a Brent Mayne model Cooper C271 bat that is inscribed

"George Brett #291 vs. Goose Gossage 4-6-92." It also comes with a letter on Royals letterhead and signed by George Brett that states: "This letter will serve as authenticity for the following item: Brent Mayne model bat used by me to hit Home Run #291 vs. Goose Gossage. I did not have a contract w/L.S. and used Brent Mayne bats (Mine all have pine tar). My Best, George Brett"

What is interesting about this is that according to baseball records, George Brett hit his first homer of the year off Goose Gossage on 4-8-92 (a game that he went 1-6) and that was homer #292. Now both the letter signature and inscription look to be in Brett's pen although I have no credentials behind that statement, but there are differences between the LOA/inscription and the history books.

I asked the seller about the differences and he responded, "In the photos you will see the signed letter and it states the facts. Also on the bat you will see Brett signed, dated the day and the HR number all in his handwriting." This response didn't really help me much as I already knew that.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this as I am interested in the bat. Do you think that it was a mistake on Brett's part, or if you think I should stay away. Below I believe is a picture of Brett actually hitting that HR. It's hard to photo match as the detail of the bat in the picture isn't great.