Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toddhead
    • Sep 2006

Why Do You Collect What You Collect?

I was reading some of the collector ads in SCD and I came across one that was... well, odd to me. This particular collector collected cards of players with names starting with Z... first, last or middle name. I started wondering what made him decide to collect Z players and that got me to thinking what made collectors collect certain items.

Personally, I started collecting 49ers stuff from the 80' and early 90's because it brings back a lot of good memories of times shared with my dad watching games. When I hung my John Taylor jersey I was actually overcome with emotion because it just took me back to when I was a kid.

I know most reasons are pretty simple, but is there something specific you collect and why do you collect that particular thing?
    Always on the lookout for Garin Cecchini game used items especially Greenville Drive and Salem Red Sox jerseys.
    I accept PM's so shoot me a message.
  • bigtruck260
    • Sep 2007

Re: Why Do You Collect What You Collect?

I have this thing with the mid-90's Cardinals...pre Big Mac or Pujols. The teams were OK, but we had a few guys that were quietly putting up MVP numbers...and really nice guys to boot.

My buddies and I stood in the third base stands at the old Busch for an entire season. About the middle of April 1996, I struck up a conversation with Ray Lankford - at the time, he was peaking, and was a very good, underrated player. Next thing you know, he stops by before nearly every game - over the next two summers, I made nice with Brian Jordan and Ron Gant, and this chunky rookie named Dimitri Young .

As a high school ballplayer, there was nothing better. I think those few guys are the cornerstones of my collection - not that they were the biggest stars, but they gave me some awesome memories. Mac came in the next season and really buried Ray Ray in his shadow - even though Lankford had an outstanding season that would have put him in the MVP running. Jordan had his successful career and D'Meathook is still productive as a National, and Ray ended up with a Cardinals NLCS ring in '04 before calling it a day.

Dave
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• nomarmauerfan
      • Apr 2007

Don Mattingly was my boyhood hero. I remember watching him on WPIX Channel 11 in NY in 1984 and thinking, "this guy is the best hitter I've ever seeen". He has been my favorite player ever since that day. My grandmother (who got me into this whole hobby) took me to a few games and tried to get me one of his bats, but was unsuccessful. I fell out of the card collecting/autograph collecting in the mid-90's. My son, who is now 7, loves baseball as much as I do. He started getting into autographs after meeting Joe Mauer in August 2006. Well, all of the excitement of seeing him collect autographs has taken me back to my childhood. I started collecting Mattingly stuff again in the late-Summer of this year. I purchased my first Mattingly bat last month and I, too, was overtaken with emotion. It just takes me back to when my grandmother and I would go to baseball card shows. I remember how good I felt when she met Joe Dimaggio and Mickey Mantle because they were her heroes. I hope my son sees that same look on my face when I meet mine.

Mike

Comment

• kylehess10
        • Feb 2006

I love to collect anything that will make a person go "WOW!" when they see my room. This means something with a perfect photomatch and even things that some would consider "nasty." A few weeks ago, I had some friends come over and they looked at some of my stuff, and when one of them looked in my case and saw my Carlos Guillen locker-room worn shower sandle, he just had the most confused look on his face and asks me "Where the hell did you get this?" I love reactions like that.
        kylehess941@hotmail.com

My Game Used Collection:
        http://www.wix.com/kylehess941/gameused

http://www.kylehessphotography.com/

Comment

• geoff
          • Nov 2005

I collect my favorite team the Orioles because they are my hometown team and I love them no matter what.I also collect a few of my favorite players because I love the way they play the greatest game ever played.
          The game of Baseball and my Father taught me how to play the game and I grew up loving the game.So why not start collecting Game used of the Game I love.

Comment

• harpt
            • May 2007

I was nine years old when the "hometown" Brewers were in the World Series (1982). Guys like Gorman Thomas and Ben Oglivie seemed like gods to me then.

Looking back now, I realize that Gorman Thomas has a lifetime batting average of .225, and Ben Oglivie has MANY more career stikeouts than walks. Still, those guys remain a major part of my childhood, and they are every bit as huge to me as guys like Ripken, Reggie, or Rose are to kids in other areas of the country.

GO BREWERS!!
            Scott Harpt
            scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
            Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

Comment

• thomecollector
              • May 2006

I collect Jim Thome stuff. As you can tell by my name. I first started to collect him in the early 90's . Not too much interest in him back then. I cleaned up on his game used, etc. He's a very underrated player. His stuff is still relatively cheap. Considering that the guy is probably a HOF'er. Just joined the 500 HR club. In an era clouded with steroids. It's good to see a stand up guy in baseball. He will always be in my collection.
              Roger Ward- Thomecollector
              thomecollector@verizon.net

Comment

• skyking26
                • Dec 2005

I was a kid when I would come home from school and watch the afternoon Cubs games on cable. Kingman and Sutter were the only stars the Cubs had back then. Kingman became larger than life to me and I followed him from team to team thru retirement, and his career before I started watching him. Anything that has to do with him I want it. Game used jersey, have 7, have about 20 bats. I met Dave 15 years ago and spoke with him last Wednesday. I also collect other sluggers like McGwire and Jim Thome. Beyond that, I collect bats from any championship Tigers club...

Bob Koppel
                ROBERT KOPPEL
                Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
                and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• 3arod13
                  • Apr 2006

I collect Carmelo Anthony because I'm from Syracuse, NY, and he gave us our 1st NCAA Championship (although we should have beaten Indiana in 1987. Damn that Keith Smart).

I collect Alex Rodriguez because of his NATURAL (non-steroid taking) ABILITY!
                  Attached Files
                  Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• B1SON
                    • May 2007

I collect NDSU grads who have gone on to play in the majors. The number of potential jerseys is just right and I spend more time searching then I do buying which why I do what I do! Merry Christmas!
                    Broncos middle linebacker.....Joe Mays!
                    sigpic

Collecting - Tyrone Braxton (Broncos 87-93 Dolphins 94 Broncos 95-99), Phil Hansen (Bills 91-01), Steve Nelson (Patriots 74-87), Stacy Robinson (Giants 85-90), Kevin Donnalley (Patriots 1981), Lamar Gordon (Rams 02-03, Dolphins 04, Eagles 05, Lions 06), Jared Peck (Falcons 2004), Craig Dahl (Giants 2007-08, Rams 2009-10), Joe Mays (Eagles 2008-09, Broncos 2010), & Dick Hanson (Giants 1971) among others. :rolleyes:

Comment

• 3arod13
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by 3arod13
                      I collect Carmelo Anthony because I'm from Syracuse, NY, and he gave us our 1st NCAA Championship (although we should have beaten Indiana in 1987. Damn that Keith Smart).

I collect Alex Rodriguez because of his NATURAL (non-steroid taking) ABILITY!

Another additon to my Carmelo Anthony Collection. 2005-06 SP Game Used Authentic Fabrics Logo 1/1

Yes, it was a nice Christmas gift!
                      Attached Files
                      Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• sicollector1954@insightbb.com
                        • Oct 2005

I collect my vintage game used bats because in 3 years they are going to help start paying for my daughters college education.

Comment

• TNTtoys
                          • Aug 2006

I collect...

1986 Mets memorabilia (signed balls, game used bats, pennants, etc.) because as a Mets fan, 1986 was "our year."

1987 Mets jerseys for two reasons...
                          I commonly refer to the Mets "glory years" as 1986-1988, as they won it all in 1986 and won their division in 1988. Both years were pennant years, but there was that one year in the middle that they didn't quite get there. This year, hence, was in between the glory years but comes without the premium that the playoff and World Series years command. Most of the same players & coaches were on the squad as well.
                          I also like the new styles that were introduced in 1987. The road jerseys and both versions of the BP were redesigned that year, featuring racing stripes from the neck to the ends of the sleeves. "New York" was written in script on the road jersey and road BP for the first & only time. The road jersey in particular became a favorite/classic throwback style amongst fans -- so much that it has been remade several times by current jersey manufacturers (often badly).

-Nick
                          Looking for ...
                          Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
                          Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
                          Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Comment

• nycsports
                            • Nov 2005

I collect game used baseballs, mainly because I like the history behind the balls, and I like when they can be linked to a certain player, or historic game. For example, I have a Barry Bonds home run ball from his days with the Pirates, along with baseballs hit by Roberto Clemente, Derek Jeter, and Don Mattingly among others. I also have baseballs that were used in historic games such as the 6th game of the 1996 World Series, the 1999 World Series, and the 1976 All Star Game.

I also enjoy collecting game used college footballs. I started collecting them about 2 years ago and so far have about 10 in my collection. Among my favorites are a USC practice ball signed by Pete Carroll used in 2001 or 2002, a ball used in the 10/9/76 game between Maryland and N.C. that was owned by Coach Claiborne, and a game used Rutgers ball (because I graduated from there).

Comment

• plt4008usmc
                              • Nov 2006

I started to collect minor league jerseys after I won two of players that were living with me for the 2006 potomac nationals season. I mainly collect semi-prospects to prospects or if I know the player personally I will get there jersey.

Comment

Working...