Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thread: Game Use

Game Use

In absence of tell-tale signs of game use like grass and dirt stains, tears, etc. what should one look for on a baseball jersey?

Re: Game Use

You should look for wash wear which causes the tagging to not be so crisp and the lettering and numbering to pucker. There also may be signs of pilling on some jerseys.

1. wash wear on tagging and numbers
    2. loose buttons from buttoning/unbuttoning dozens of times. (not applicable to modern jerseys worn +-3 times total).
    3. faded sleeve trim, numbers, front team wordmark (from washing + sun)
    4. position specific wear - for catches, pilling under arms/around back from chestpad straps, for shortstops i'd like to see abrasion on front
    5. the "feel" of the jersey. over time/use/washing, it'll loose the crisp roughness it had as a new jersey and become noticeably softer to the touch.

rudy.

Rudy nailed it. Godd luck looking!
    Broncos middle linebacker.....Joe Mays!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Collecting - Tyrone Braxton (Broncos 87-93 Dolphins 94 Broncos 95-99), Phil Hansen (Bills 91-01), Steve Nelson (Patriots 74-87), Stacy Robinson (Giants 85-90), Kevin Donnalley (Patriots 1981), Lamar Gordon (Rams 02-03, Dolphins 04, Eagles 05, Lions 06), Jared Peck (Falcons 2004), Craig Dahl (Giants 2007-08, Rams 2009-10), Joe Mays (Eagles 2008-09, Broncos 2010), & Dick Hanson (Giants 1971) among others. :rolleyes:

thanks guys- i really appreciate the generosity of this group and your willingness to share your knowledge on the hobby. it's been a great learning lesson for me

Quote Originally Posted by jwasserman View Post
    thanks guys- i really appreciate the generosity of this group and your willingness to share your knowledge on the hobby. it's been a great learning lesson for me

Glad your enjoying yourself! Merry Christmas!
    Broncos middle linebacker.....Joe Mays!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Collecting - Tyrone Braxton (Broncos 87-93 Dolphins 94 Broncos 95-99), Phil Hansen (Bills 91-01), Steve Nelson (Patriots 74-87), Stacy Robinson (Giants 85-90), Kevin Donnalley (Patriots 1981), Lamar Gordon (Rams 02-03, Dolphins 04, Eagles 05, Lions 06), Jared Peck (Falcons 2004), Craig Dahl (Giants 2007-08, Rams 2009-10), Joe Mays (Eagles 2008-09, Broncos 2010), & Dick Hanson (Giants 1971) among others. :rolleyes: