Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did Mattingly ever use Pat Kelly/Cooper bats?

The reason I ask is that I have a Pat Kelly bat with the number "3" on the bottom. I am aware Mattingly would put numbers of retired Yankees on his handles.

It may be a bit of a stretch, but I was wondering if Mattingly ever used other players bats, specifically Pat Kelly.

Thanks for any help

Tom

Re: Did Mattingly ever use Pat Kelly/Cooper bats?

TFig,
    Can you post a picture of the bat? I have numerous photos of Mattingly with Coopers, but they all have his name on it. Let me see a pic, then I'll go to work for you. I think its a stretch, but I can look. If my memory serves me correctly, wasn't Pat Kelly a right-handed batter? If so, the ball marks probably wouldn't be to the right of the label (as for Mattingly). But, I'll check after I see the pic.

Mike

I could be wrong, but I believe Kelly wore #3 in the minor leagues.........let me dig through some old files............

Thank you both for the replies. I am going to take some pics and get them posted shortly. I do agree it is a stretch, but that's what makes it fun.

He may have worn number 3 in the minors. I wasn't able to find anything to verify this yet.

I appreciate the help.

Tom

Here are some pics. I am going to try to take some better ones that show more detail.

Here's a picture of Mattingly using a similar bat. Obviously, you can't see the name on the bat.

TFig,
    Where are the ball marks in relation to the label? I checked all of my Mattingly photos and have yet to see him use a Cooper with a #3 on the bottom. But, the ball marks will help. Thanks.

Mike

Mike,

I was able to pull the bat out. The ball marks are fairly evenly distributed around the barrel. There doesn't appear to be a prominent side. I appreciate you looking through your pictures.

Do you have any bats/photos of his bats with the "3" on the bottom?

Does anyone know if Cooper bats are able to be narrowed down to a year, or year range. This would help in knowing if it is a Kelly minor league bat.

Thanks
    Tom

TFig,
    I'll look through the pics again for a #3 on the knob. However, I think Jim, George, and RJ, would confirm this, ALL of Mattingly's ball marks are to the right of the barrel. George can really be of help here with him having 8-9 Mattingly bats in his collection (vs. my one). However, I've yet to see one of Donnie's bats with ball marks anywhere else.

Mike

Here are 2 pics of Mattingly's black Cooper's. The second one is absolutely pounded...wish I would've been collecting back when that was in the Leland's auction!!!

Mike