Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need opinions on getting a base signed

I need some opinions on getting a game used base signed. I have a base that was used during the first game that Tom Glavine and John Smoltz faced eachother, and being that Glavine is back with the Braves, I was thinking about having both Smoltz & Glavine sign the base, but I'm a little worried because of the bumpy surface. So does anybody here have a signed base? Does it look any bit messy? Let me know what your opinion is

Re: Need opinions on getting a base signed

Kyle..I think having them both sign it would be awesome. I recently had Cal Ripken Jr. sign two GU bases for me and it came out great. I'll post a picture of the pair in the next day or so.

I used a sharpie paint pen on this one, it turned out alright. I have heard DecoColor is a good paint pen to use. You might want to buy one of those cheap mini bases and try several different types.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I recently saw a base signed by Jeter and Mariano Rivera, I think on Steiner and it looked awesome. It would be cool if you could get the pitching rubber from that same game.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerhidden View Post
    I used a sharpie paint pen on this one, it turned out alright. I have heard DecoColor is a good paint pen to use. You might want to buy one of those cheap mini bases and try several different types.

The signature actually doesn't look bad on that. I remember seeing a Jeter signed base awhile back on eBay I think and the signature looked horrible from the bumps. I guess it all depends on the marker you use like you said. Here is the base that I want signed and the positions where I want Smoltz & Glavine to sign at:

I think it would look great signed but if your going to get it signed I would definetly use a silver or gold paint pen. Blue and black sharpies always seem to fade on bases especially game used ones that have a lot of use.

I've got a 2001 Opening Day base from Chase Field (then Bank One Ballpark), which I've so far managed to get signed by five Diamondbacks players from that year's roster, using a black Sharpie with a slightly used tip, to ensure that the line is not too fine and is broad enough to be seen.

So far, all of the guys who've signed it - Luis Gonzalez, Mark Grace, Craig Counsell, Miguel Batista and Matt Williams - have had no problem doing so. They all seemed pretty practiced at it, and knew exactly how to sign so that their signatures look good, despite the uneven surface.

What makes me nuts is that I didn't have the base earlier...when I met 26 other guys who played for the DBacks that year.

AROD313 I think it would look great signed but if your going to get it signed I would definetly use a silver or gold paint pen. Blue and black sharpies always seem to fade on bases especially game used ones that have a lot of use.
    My favorite bases are the ones with the top logos like on Opening Day, All Star game, HR Derby, or special events such as Fathers Day, July 4th, etc. Casworks makes cases now for them too so they display real nice.

Name:  ripken_game_used_base_case.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  60.1 KB

This base below I got signed by Cal Ripken. His advice to me was use a Gold Paint Pen as it will never bleed. The only problem with a Gold Paint Pen is it is harder to see the sig & inscription on a muddied up base.

Name:  ripken_game_used_camden_base_3170_a.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  67.0 KB

I have a collection of Soriano game used bases from his 3 milestone games of 40 stolen bases (at RFK), 40 HRs (at Citizens/Philly) and the actual 40th Double 2nd base (at Shea/Mets). I look forward to getting it signed one day by Alfonso.

Name:  soriano_40th_stolen_base_9-16-06a.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  47.9 KB

Ryan Zimmerman HR base in 2006 at Busch Stadium.
    Name:  ryan_zimmerman_HR_Base_Cards.JPG
Views: 352
Size:  432.9 KB

Andrew

Banned

Kyle,

Here are three bases signed in different pens.

5/8/2004 Base from Atlanta Biggio's 2500th Hit Game
    Signed in Black Sharpie that was well broken in. Turned out pretty good and remains same after 3.5 years.

Name:  DSCN7132.JPG
Views: 306
Size:  80.9 KB

Name:  DSCN7137.JPG
Views: 321
Size:  67.8 KB

Opening Day 2005 Astros Base signed by Roy Oswalt
    Signed in Black Deco Color. Turned out great! I think this is my favorite.

Name:  DSCN7131.JPG
Views: 308
Size:  84.8 KB

Name:  DSCN7133.JPG
Views: 316
Size:  92.1 KB

2005 NLCS Game 3 Base signed by Roger Clemens
    Signed in something between a Deco and Sharpie. Didn't turn out the best, but still stays strong.

Name:  DSCN7134.JPG
Views: 312
Size:  78.4 KB

Name:  DSCN7136.JPG
Views: 315
Size:  59.2 KB

I would go with a Deco Color or a well broken in sharpie if you can! As mentioned, players have done this before, so they should be able to handle it.

Thanks,

Gotta love the Oswalt! That is a really nice item; enjoy it!