Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

STL Cardinals Winter Warm Up

please humor me .

reading time is: 1 minute 20 seconds

im just sitting here thinking about years past (and more specifically last year) about the Warm Up (Jan 19,20 and 21).

a couple of things have been swirling around in the empty space that should be occupied by my brain.

looking through the auction list : http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/stl..._warmup_08.pdf

i couldnt help but think that there seems to be a lack of quality items. to me it looks like a collection of lower end items from sub star players and a bunch of filler left over from previous years. there are a handful of premium GU items that will be availible for the live "stage" auction, but the silent auction doesnt wow me as a fan or a collector.

i somehow remember feeling that in the first several years, that the organization offered much better items and more of it.

who knows, just my two cents

part 2 of ramblefest:

ive been nearly every year. and every year it seems that the GU supply is much lower than it should be considering what other teams offer during their "garage sale" type of events.

last year i arrived a couple of hours early and was still standing in a line that seemed to have a couple of hundred people in front of me. i chalked this up to the World Series excitement and a lot of bandwagon fans trying to be part of the hoopla.

when i finally made my way to the GU store there was little to be had.

i noticed one guy had about 15 jerseys and a handful of other things (hats, bats etc...) and i remember thinking "wow, shouldnt there be a limit of some sort?". of course im being a little selfish and only half joking.

i also have a good friend that was given a dealers pass (from a nationally known dealer) to enter early and he was able to get into the store . hardly seems fair to allow dealers to pick through everything before hand.

my question is, to anyone that can shed some light on this, is do they allow dealers and other pre-opening admissions to go through the GU section?

i will be there again, as always, trying to add to my ever growing collection.
    however its getting harder and harder to shell out the cash for the over inflated stuff the team is hocking in the name of charity.

some of the prices have simply gotten out of hand.

Re: STL Cardinals Winter Warm Up

I hear ya Don.

Even if you go to the Cards authentics store in the stadium, you will be astounded at the prices of gear - especially what they get for commons. Heck, a Skip Schumaker jersey was selling for $500 and I saw a Preston Wilson BP jersey at $500.

The Warmup is a place for the real fans to meet up and hang out for a few days (see you there, call me.) It is also a place for those with LARGE pocketbooks and wallets to shell out a fortune for Cardinals Care...what the event is really about. Honestly, I don't think there are that many high end items in the silent auction because Cards brass wants to appeal to the guy with a family too. That's me in a nutshell.

See, I am interested in a bat from Aaron Miles or Ryan Ludwick...or a hat from Anthony Reyes. If I see something like that, I'll pay $50 for it and feel pretty good that I got something. A few others that attend will not feel satisfied without parading around with a hammered Colby Rasmus or Pujols bat in tow. Those guys can sit at the live auction and have a little fun.

I think the Cards are trying to lure some of the newer collectors into the hobby with some entry level items - and possibly get them to shell out some duckets during the season for the Cesar Izturis opening day jersey that will go for close to $1,000 in late May.

You collect Lankford - and fortunately you are in a good place. His items are mid to low range and you got many of them very cheap probably. If Ray Ray was playing in 2008 with 1998 numbers...you might be collecting Aaron Miles or Ryan Ludwick. See - you got me ranting Donnie.

Dave

yeah, im not a high end guy either (maybe in spirit but not with the check book) i only bring a few hundred dollars with me and hope that its enough to land an item im interested in.

i dont have to have an Edmonds jersey to feel like i scored something but at the same time i generally wont waste my money on a Braden Looper sunday cap. id like ,like you said, maybe a Reyes cap or a Duncan bat (which, i think, they are offering). doesnt have to be a $2,000 Pujols bat or whatever.

i enjoy the middle of the road items (as im sure most collectors do) because of cost and player popularity. semi star players that are affordable. again, im sure most legit collectors fall into this catagory.

id just like to see more BP jerseys , common bats, pants, etc..(past and present). surely the team has a ton of these items that dont make it out of the clubhouse (by the player or taken to other charity events). i may be assuming too much however.

you are correct about Rays items. i am fortunate in amny regards that his items have stayed "relatively cheap" for him being an above average player. he, along with several others, are often overlooked and are affordable star type players.

i totally get it when it comes to the hobby and teams/ memorabillia powerhouses try to get every last cent they can for a certain item, however, what i dont get is when "XYZ" item is normally $50 in the open market and you demand 6X that amount. it doesnt add up.....but someone with a large amount of disposable income will come along and justify it. .......thats all a different story for another thread.

all in all i really enjoy the WWU and look forward to it each year.

Dave i will definately get in touch and see you there.

i encourage anyone else with WWU stories to chime in. it doesnt have to be a soapbox stand like mine. im just very passionate about the hobby. sorry.

Past WWU scores and outbids:

Bobby Bonilla GU bat - $50
    Matt Morris signed GU Road hat 0 $50?
    Brian Jordan GU bat - $110

Edmonds GU bat - outbid at $400...I think it went for $1300 - Nutty, right?

1982 WS signed ball - outbid at $200

a few other minor stars, most were traded or sold long ago....

Dave

Don,

Dealers don't get to go into the store before the show, but they are allowed to line up outside the store before it opens. In the old days, dealers got to go through the store on set-up day (Friday night). In recent years, they haven't been allowed in until 9 a.m. Saturday. In fact, they will let the fans into the store and keep the dealers at bay a few seconds. So, they do have some advantage over the people at the back of the line... but it's not like they're picking over everything before the show begins. If you're one of the first 20 people in line, you'll likely get into the store before the waiting dealers.

prime example of what is sort'a a turn off , for me at least, at this event.

$1300 for a Jim Edmonds GU bat. awsome piece to have, but not for my house payment.

its very discouraging to place a bid that you feel is a damn good bid, only to have Joe crazy fan blow you straight out of the damn water with an absurd number.

again, for those (and not to say that anyone has or will) that say its for charity. yes, i understand that, but there are those dealers and collectors that use those figures and try to apply them to the hobby as a general rule.

i had a guy try to sell me (on Monday) a Brian Jordan bat he purchased/ won (via silent auction) on saturday. the wierd thing was, i had actually bid on this and knew what the final bid was. he claimed that "all" of BJ's bats were going for (what he was asking for) and that it was a bargin.

....i declained and told him he was crazy. im generally only as friendly/ honest as the dealer is to me. many, i find, are quite brash and arrogant.

Dave, are you going all three days? Just Saturday? Sunday? im definately up for meeting for lunch or something. if anyone else is interested, please feel free to invite yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbats View Post
    Don,

Dealers don't get to go into the store before the show, but they are allowed to line up outside the store before it opens. In the old days, dealers got to go through the store on set-up day (Friday night). In recent years, they haven't been allowed in until 9 a.m. Saturday. In fact, they will let the fans into the store and keep the dealers at bay a few seconds. So, they do have some advantage over the people at the back of the line... but it's not like they're picking over everything before the show begins. If you're one of the first 20 people in line, you'll likely get into the store before the waiting dealers.
    thanks for the info Jeff.

i kind of had you in mind when i was asking that question and hoped that you'd respond.

i seriously may camp out this year just to see what it brings me (if the hotel will allow it). ...they'll probably have nothing more than a Dave McKay road jersey. i'll take my chances i suppose.

I'll probably go on Saturday. My blood pressure is not up for 3 full days bandwagon fans and overpriced memorabilia. I would like to see the LaRussa/Mozeliak Q& A session...and maybe get in line to have a few bats signed.

Call me anytime Don. You have my email addy too. I'll get my number to you before the Warmup.

Oh - and the Edmonds bat? Split in two pieces. I'll bet Jeff Remembers it - I think it was 2003. I know that a Rolen bat went for $1200 too. Like I said, it's not about the value or collectability of an item...it is the thrill some people get out of spending a big chunk of cash on something that not many people can afford on the spot.

I think I am taking $200 and leaving the credit cards at home.

Might be a good idea to leave the wife home too!

Dave

Oh - and I just sold a Brian Jordan bat to a forum member for $50...and it was a nice one. He was a great player, really uderrated in STL, and his stuff should go for more, but there is no market here. Most of the game used people here now want 2004-now stuff, not guys like Lankford, Gant, Jordan, Deshields or Pagnozzi. That's fine - I'll take 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post
    Like I said, it's not about the value or collectability of an item...it is the thrill some people get out of spending a big chunk of cash on something that not many people can afford on the spot.

Might be a good idea to leave the wife home too!

Dave
    i personally do not subscribe to this brand of excitement

my wife doesnt attend many...or any shows or auctions anymore. she'd rather watch paint dry (she claims).

she use to go (about 10-15 years ago, we were in our early twenties). Tom Urbani and and Jeff Parrett had her cornered at the Ritnour High charity deal one time and i thought id never see her again. she also had a huge crush on a young Matt Morris and Mark Sweeney. again, i thought Morris was going to abduct her. in hind sight, i couldve scored a ton of Lankford stuff from the whole deal.

awsome.