Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Uniform/Jersey Collections - store or display?

I'm looking for some feedback on what some of the others are doing with their collections of jerseys and uniforms. I know many of you have many jerseys and uniforms in your collections. Do you display all of them or have them in the closet? I'm trying to find out what others are doing. I've got a few jerseys hanging in a locker display, but have gotten worried about dust ruining or staining the tops of the shoulders where they hang on the hanger for long periods of time.

I also have one nice flannel Yankee pinstripe. Do I need to worry about moths? Does anyone store their jerseys in clear garmet bags? Does artificial lighting fade the jerseys? Does UV lighting damage jerseys like they do autographs?

Any ideas and solutions?

Re: Uniform/Jersey Collections - store or display?

Untill I figure out how to properly download photos,here's what I did with items I had belonging to one player. With no real intent ,I found myself with a g/u jersey and then two g/u bats belonging to robin ventura. You now become on the lookout for additional items that can round out a shadowbox collection. I have a 4' x 4' x 5" homemade shadowbox,,hinged at the top(plexiglass and pine to keep it as light as possible.) I then acquired white g/u pants w/ripped dirt stain. Pants hanging vertically on the left w/2 bats also vertically in front of them.Jersey on the right with 4 PSA rookie cards at the bottom right with a newspaper article on foamboard. Now a game used batting glove or Topps signed contract will finish this presentation off perfectly.
    I have a similar accumulation of items for Viola,Burntitz,Payton. But sadly,all too few walls in the downstairs family room

Quote Originally Posted by hiramman View Post
    I'm looking for some feedback on what some of the others are doing with their collections of jerseys and uniforms. I know many of you have many jerseys and uniforms in your collections. Do you display all of them or have them in the closet? I'm trying to find out what others are doing. I've got a few jerseys hanging in a locker display, but have gotten worried about dust ruining or staining the tops of the shoulders where they hang on the hanger for long periods of time.

I also have one nice flannel Yankee pinstripe. Do I need to worry about moths? Does anyone store their jerseys in clear garmet bags? Does artificial lighting fade the jerseys? Does UV lighting damage jerseys like they do autographs?

Any ideas and solutions?

If there isn't any more room for jersey's in my cases, I first get a thick plastic clothes hanger (I get mine at Big Lots for $2 each). They give it a small 3-D look. Second, I get a plastic cover which I get for free at my local dry cleaners. I put a few pieces of clear tape on the bottom to close it up so no dust gets in and it's a great alternative holder:

Space is also a problem that I have, that's why I was wondering what some of the other collectors are doing. I know some collectors have 10, 20, 30+ jerseys and was wondering what they do. I've got maybe 10-12 jerseys with some just being common players, but a few are really nice and I'm just worroed about maintaining their quality and value.

Quote Originally Posted by hiramman View Post
    Space is also a problem that I have, that's why I was wondering what some of the other collectors are doing. I know some collectors have 10, 20, 30+ jerseys and was wondering what they do. I've got maybe 10-12 jerseys with some just being common players, but a few are really nice and I'm just worroed about maintaining their quality and value.

Good question. Well here's a pic from another thread from darylv1. He puts them on what looks to be a simple straight clothes rack. Seems perfect for someone who has a lot of jersey's.

I keep about 50 of my favorites displayed, folded, in a upright case with a sliding door. I usually have 6 maniquins on display that I change the jerseys on pretty regular. The remainder of my jerseys I keep in a cedar chest. I do not leave this room exposed to outside light very often.

Everything that I have mounted in picture frames are behind UV protective glass. I don't worry a lot about dust. As long as they are clean and dry that come off easy

The maniquins can be bought from National Equipment in Kansas City, MO. They sent me a catalog and were easy to do business with.

Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Mine were in the closet until I took over the bonus room upstairs a few months ago. Baseball and basketball on one side, football on the other.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Some very nice displays. Thanks for the photos Kyle, Roger, & gatorcollector. I'm sure everyone loves seeing how other collectors display their collections. Anymore ides and/or photos?

Jerseys are the most difficult to display because of display space and the large amount of room they take up. I have 4 individual jersey cases on the wall for 4 fav's, the rest unfortunately are in a plastic bag in my closet until I come up with some alternatives...

Here is mine all Mets.I have since aquired more and yes space is a problem