(this thread is a bit off-topic and surely belongs in the autograph forum, but i think it's a fun nugget to chew on for fun. I'm probably not the first to bring this up, but...)

Is it me or do the young baseball players of today seem to have ever-shrinking signatures?

What's up with the kids these days?

I have noticed that some of the game's "future stars" have signatures that are not only barely legible, but are just initials, at best.

Just two examples: SF Giants pitcher Tim Lincecum and Mets prospect Fernando Martinez.

Could this be a result of the heavy demands of off-season "sticker signings" for all the "autographed" baseball cards made today?

I think of old-timers like Killebrew, Ted Williams, Koufax, DiMaggio, Mantle even... these guys signed their names. Legibly.

Imagine a Ted Williams signed ball, bat or jersey that just had a sloppy "TW" scribbled on it.

Imagine if Mickey Mantle just signed "MM."

Even old Babe Ruth signatures appear carefully written. The Babe even included legible quote marks (" ") around his moniker.

Now, I'm only picking on a handful of people. Many modern star players and rookies sign their complete name, legibly.

And no doubt modern ballplayers have greater signing demands.

But did any old-time ballplayer ever just sign their initials?

I can't think of one, offhand.

Finally, have you ever NOT purchased a game-used item because it had a sloppy or unappealing autograph?

I think of a recent post showing a Gary Sheffield bat with his scribble all over the barrel. I wouldn't want that bat. But at least Gary signs his full name.

-bscott.