Anybody on Here Collect Baseball Cards?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigtruck260
    • Sep 2007

Re: Anybody on Here Collect Baseball Cards?

I used to collect cards as a hobby...

I went to a local show in about 1998 in STL and I saw a dealer lowballing a kid trying to trade/sell his stuff. I mean, it was HORRIBLE. I understand having to make a profit...but this guy was stealing from the kid. Around the same time, I was in college trying to graduate the first time around. The professor was a card collector to the point that it was nerdy. PSA had really just come into its own grading cards...and all this guy would talk about in between lectures was his PSA GEM 10 1971 Topps near-complete set (with black borders prone to chipping). I immediately started selling my cards to local shops at bulk rates of $10/1000 cards. I saved the better ones, and still have a few. I put them on the BAY when I want something and need a little cash.

Every now and then I buy a higher end pack or box just to rip it open on a rainy day. I also decided that I would collect the Topps Allen and Ginter sets since Set 1 came out in 2006 - the year my son was born. I want him to enjoy collecting cards too - but not to take it too seriously. It's more to teach him how to take care of things. I don't care about inserts...I just want the base cards.

Started collecting game used bats in 2002 and I buy about 5 every year depending on the price. Much more to game used stuff...it costs more, so I feel like it is a more grown-up hobby with "investment potential". I can show my friends bats and they think it's cool as opposed to the "serial numbered, bat/jersey/spikes/hat autographed uncirculated refractor parallel" cards that Beckett seems to glorify these days.

Remember the '84 Mattingly? THAT was the peak of collecting for me.

Dave
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

Working...