Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Jackie Robinson game used bat

Im just hoping its the real deal. I dont think it can be authenticated by just posting pictures but will be able to get some better info than I have now from some of the members here

Quote Originally Posted by hurlanator View Post
    Im just hoping its the real deal. I dont think it can be authenticated by just posting pictures but will be able to get some better info than I have now from some of the members here

By posting pictures here, experts can give you a good opinion on it's authenticity. If they say it looks authentic, then that's your que to send it in. If you can't go in driving distance to an authenticator, then just get insurance and the basic needs to know your bat is going to the right place in the mail (ex: signature confirmation)

here's the pics... they arent the best quality because the camera sucked. On the knob 'J.R 3' is engraved. What do you all think?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Well that was just a bid downer.

The bat experts on this forum will tell you this is a store model bat due to the Flame Tempered stamp next to the barrel and the JR3 on the knob. It's not worth much

Mike

Hello
    That bat is from the 60's to the 1970's.

Store bat, 1977-79 vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by hurlanator View Post
    My grandfather gave me a bat about 10 years ago. The bat was given to my grandfather when he was a kid directly from Jackie Robinson. The bat has a crack from a ball he fouled off during the game. The bat was given to him in the 1940's after a game in Boston.

Does anyone know what something like this would be worth? I was also curious how I could get this authenticated and appraised without having to send it away to someone?

thanks
    So then what's the deal with this story? How does any of this connect?

Dave

I

As correctly stated above, this bat is clearly a retail, store bat manufactured post-1976.

There is little rhyme or reason to stories that often seem to surround family "hand-me-downs," and get repeated to subsequent generations. A guy brought me two bats last week that had been in his family "forever" and "had been obtained from the players themselves." One turned out to ba a 1930's Spalding store model Earl Averill bat (not a bad bat actually) and the other a late-1960s H & B replica Nap Lajoie bat.

The result of this Jackie Robinson bat was unfortunate, but at least you were able to receive correct information in a timely and inexpensive manner.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Thanks for posting the pics.

I agree with Mike. While the outcome is probably extremely disappointing, at least you didn't spend the money to insure it (thinking it was a $50,000 bat) and ship it to an authenticator only to find out what you now know.
    SCOTT
    scottjrepking at gmail.com

Always looking for game used bats from Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Jody Davis, Shawon Dunston, Jerome Walton, Rick Sutcliffe, and Greg Maddux. Preferably CUBS era bats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]