Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Ami Larry Wilson Jersey

What leads you to believe this is a Champion jersey? If it is, then why is the number 8 a completely different style font than that on the jersey offerd by AMI?

The fonts on all the numerals are the same as Champion used, and still uses on some college & high school jerseys.

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    Lund6771:

Take a look at the other items on the following thread that Lou also must have "liked a lot", as he wrote LOA's:
    http://www.gameuseduniverse.net/vb_f...lampson+ripken

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Howard,

Please don't change or flip the topic in this thread as it is against the forum rules. We are discusssing the Wilson cardinals jersey in this thread....

Thanks,
    Dave

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post
    Howard,

Please don't change or flip the topic in this thread as it is against the forum rules. We are discusssing the Wilson cardinals jersey in this thread....

Thanks,
    Dave

Dave-

The jersey in question has issues that need to be addressed by AMI. I sent an email to Vic, which as usual, was not answered.

Another forum reader indicated he spoke with Vic about this jersey, and was told, "Victors says " Lou likes it a lot". Looks like Lou knows what he is talking about here."

Based on prior equipment in AMI's auctions having Lampson's "blessing" with his 100% Authentic LOA, my post confirms that major mistakes have been made in the past by Lampson, and also by Vic for not removing the items once notified. T

You indicated previously that you speak with Vic. If it's possible for him to forward Lampson's work sheet or supporting informaiton on how this shirt was determined to be Wilson's from 1971, it will allow us to possibly make an informed decision. Until then, Lampson's history with his LOA's speaks volumes, and my post confirms that this may possibly be yet another mistake.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

I have no comment about this particular jersey, but I would like to clarify a few matters to be sure that everyone has an understanding of what they should be looking for in an early 1970s St. Louis Cardinals jersey.
    1. As has been shown in this thread, the Cardinals at one point did indeed wear red jerseys that had white numbers trimmed in black. I did some extensive research on this issue over the past few days and am convinced that this style was worn in 1970. I cannot confirm if these were worn after that season.
    2. The Cardinals appear to have worn Champion jerseys at some point during that era based on the number and lettering font seen on several photos posted in this thread and other photos I observed from that era. (The unique Champion font of the 1970s-to-1990s era is recognizable to those who collect older NFL jerseys).
    3. The Cardinals wore mesh jerseys as early as 1970 based on photo observation. A good example can be seen in the Cardinals section of the 1971 NFL Street & Smith Annual (page 52, if I remember correctly).
    4. Some teams such as the Bears put lettering straight on the back of jerseys circa 1970. Champion was still doing this as late as 1975 on some of its professional jerseys (WFL Memphis Southmen, for example).

Hope this is helpful in clearing up some of the questions about early 1970s Cardinals jerseys.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

"Wilson" font looks similar to the Bills jerseys of the early 70s, which were made by Champion if I'm not mistaken.

Genius,

Yes, you are correct about the letter font (the Jets are another example from that era). Note the photo in a previous post where Wilson is being tackled by #59-Colman of the New Orleans Saints. It is from a game played on October 11, 1970. You can see the "O" and the "N", and it appears to be the typical Champion lettering font of that era.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

G1X, genuis & jdr3,

I appreciate the information and your efforts to find it. As I stated before, I had never noticed the outlined font.

I do want to say a couple of things here about this jersey and dealing with AMI. I have done a lot of business with Beans then Victor at AMI since they started. I have found that the best way to get a answer on anything is to pick up the phone and call, any company not just AMI. Email is a easy way out to say, I got no response. You are not going to get a response if you are not a registered bidder. I wonder how many of the negative posters here are registered bidders and were actually interested in this Wilson jersey? I called because I had questions on the Wilson as well as about 10 other items. I talk very frankly with Victor on items and recieve the same back. I usually know who the consignor is and the history as they know it. On this jersey I ask those two things and recieved answers. The fact that I had never seen this type font was the main topic. Lou says they did use it breifly, is the answer I got and he appears, basically, to be right this time. Anyone that thinks Lou knows nothing is very uninformed. He does need to limit what he writes letters on to his expertise. I do not buy anything based on any companies LOA, period. I believe these companies, or people, are one of the main problems with this hobby today as they write letters on things without proper research or knowledge. That aside, there is no compelling evidence that this jersey is not real. I am not convinced it is real either. At this point I will not bid as I am not comfortable owning it. Someone may be. I do not understand why anyone would think, any auction company should not sell a item like this if it cannot absolutely be proved a fraud. A Larry Wilson jersey with rock solid provenace would be worth 6K to 8K to me. I do not want one like this, but I'm sure someone will take a chance on it and be happy with it for something less.

I know I have left myself open here to be jumped on by everyone who dislikes Lou or AMI, I do not like everything they do either. I get tired of people that act like they have tried to get answers when they really do not. Pick up the phone. Now let me have it.

Roger

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RKGIBSON View Post
    Now let me have it.
    I will tell you I strongly disagree that you should have to go "Flintstone" and pick up a phone to get an answer from any business in this day and age. E-mail has become as accepted a part of today's business world as faxes. If AMI or any auction house fails to respond in a timely manner to inquiries from prospective bidders, then they are NOT representing their client, the consignor, professionally IMHO. If I were to consign something to them, I would be quite upset to find that they weren't properly nurturing every prospective bid opportunity.

As for Sweet Lou, no rebuttal necessary. The old "even a blind squirrel finds an acorn occassionally" addage comes to mind.

Mvandor,
    The key word in your post is "client". If you are not a registered bidder they are not going to waste time with you. What company does?

Roger

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RKGIBSON View Post
    Mvandor,
    The key word in your post is "client". If you are not a registered bidder they are not going to waste time with you. What company does?

Roger
    Roger-

Before registering, many prospective bidders desire specific answers to their questions, first. If the provided answer is acceptable and a comfort level is met, then the next step of registering often takes place.

Based on your post, would a Ford car salesman turn away an individual who pulls into the lot in a Honda, and explains he's never owned a Ford in the past? Once the Honda owner feels comfortable, and his questions are answered, there is a great chance a sale may take place. When I visited the Apple computer store over the weekend and informed the sales person that I've never used their brand of computer, do you think they turned their back to me and walked away?

I seriously doubt any successful business that depends on new customers has the mindset of "this possible new user/customer is just a complete waste of time"

If what you note is true, it’s hard to believe this “business model” could be found in any Wharton text books or practiced by any of the other major auction houses.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net