Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Helmet

Steelers Helmet

Hi Guys. I am just wondering what I have here. I picked up this Steelers helmet at a rummage sale.
    Name:  SleetHelmet 002.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  139.3 KB

Name:  SleetHelmet 003.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  137.3 KB

Name:  SleetHelmet 004.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  115.7 KB

Under the word Rawlings on the back it says
    HNFL-N
    Medium
    U.S.A

On the back right there is a box with a helmet. The words inside that box are:
    Meets NOC SAE
    Standard

Under the box reads 6-80

I figure the helmet is from a youth league, though I wear a size 7 3/8 hat, and this helmet fits me well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Scott Harpt
    scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
    Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

Re: Steelers Helmet

it's a common kid's helmet (not for competiitve use); although not bad as a display piece

Doesn't the nocsae mean it's approved for competitive use?

Quote Originally Posted by TFig27 View Post
    Doesn't the nocsae mean it's approved for competitive use?
    That's what I thught too. It's not a plastic helmet like they sell at Wal-Mart or something.
    Scott Harpt
    scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
    Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

I agree that it's a nice display helmet, especially considering that real Steelers equipment is hard to come by. It's better than some of the knockoff Steeler helmets I've seen with the clear borders around the logo. A nice pickup for a rummage sale.

I have a Rawlings with that Noc-Sae that fits my 4 year old pretty snug(size Small). Also have one that has that logo along with See Warning Label inside, size medium with another decal on the back of the helmet that reads "Warning do not use this helmet to butt, ram or spear an opposing player. This is in violation of the fooball rules and such use can result in severe head or neck injuries, paralysis or death to you and possible injury to your opponent, There is a risk these injuries may also occur as a result of accidental contat without intent to butt, ram or spear. This helmet cannot prevent all such injuries". Another label inside "Warning Do Not clean or shine with any agent except plain soap and water. The prolonged use of other chemicals may cause serious shell degradaion".
    Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !

The NOCSAE certification means that it's approved for competitive football use. In the case of the HNFL-N designation, it means that the helmet is approved for youth football.

Understand that as far as size goes, there isn't any difference between youth and adult helmets; the difference is that the adult helmet shell is thicker and more dense, while the youth is a bit thinner and not as dense. Basically, squeezing into a youth helmet doesn't mean you have a pea-sized head.

it's a rawlings youth helmet - never worn at the college or pro level. lots of hnfl models in circulation (all teams) and they tend to fetch between $20-$40 at auction. here's one currently for sale on ebay - probably more valuable than yours (to most) given that it's a size large. keep an eye on it and see what it goes for; might give you an idea of both interest and value...