Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Your BEST Experience Dealing with an Athlete

About 10 years ago, Yogi Berra signed a bat for me. When I thanked him, and I'll never forget it, he actually said, "No,---thank YOU". You don't get that from the modern day celebrity.

Among the good guys would be Dave Kingman in 92 when I met him the first time, and many times after that. He has always been very cordial with my wife and children as well.

Honorable mention good guys:
    *Frank Howard. Have not met another gem like this other than B. Robby maybe.

*Lance Parrish
    *Bert Blyleven
    *Darrel Evans
    *Sparky Anderson
    *Virgil Trucks

Anyone who has ever had the pleasure of meeting Buck O'Neil will tell you he was one of the greatest human beings ever.

Bert Blyleven: Drove to Pittsburgh to get him; when I told him I came down from Cleveland, since he never comes here, he gave me a sincere thanks and took my ball and proceeded to FILL it with stats.

Bill Madlock: Sat and flirted with my wife while signing my ball (in a nice way, not creepy or rude or anything). The best was her walking away afterward having absolutely no clue who he was.

Met Chuck Bednarik and his spider-web fingers in an outdoor setting. Not only did he sign for everyone, he was downright hysterical as he held court. I'll never forget him saying how Deion Sanders couldn't tackle his wife, let alone a real football player.

Ken

This year at Citizens Bank Park, Phillies vs. Nationals

Jonathan Albaladejo came over by third base and signed autographs and chatted with the fans really nice guy. Before BP was over I went down to the visiting dugout and when Jonathan came in from BP I asked him for his hat and he tossed it up to me.

My Nice list:

Willie McGee - the humblest human to walk the earth. Great smile.

John Rodriguez - Talked boxing for 15 minutes.

Issac Bruce - Was at a Christian marraige seminar sitting with his wife next to me and my wife. The Rams were terrible this year, but he was very cordial to us, and acted like a regular joe. Nice for a guy of his status - especially when his team is so terrible.

John Burkett - Had a nice experience at Busch. I saw him walk past a crowd of autograph seekers during his rookie season...and right to a group of Boy Scouts. He spent 15 minutes with them on the field pre-game.

Will Clark - GREAT with fans at home, and while on the road. I saw him with the Giants...signing TONS - even tossed some balls into the UD. When he was in STL - no different. A real classy guy.

Evander Holyfield - met twice, very polite - and by himself both times.

Adam Wainwright - Came into work one day and nobody knew who he was except me, but they stared anyway (he is 6'7"). We had our children a few weeks apart, and we BS'ed about being new daddies. Then he was nails in the series...awesome.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by bubbrubb25 View Post

I don't even know who that is, but that's really nice. How do you get players to just give you BP-used items? Wish I knew your trick.

In my previous Post, I mostly described my favorite signors. I would be remiss if I didn't re-post my story about the best gift I received at the ballpark from Brian Schneider (Washington Nationals 2007) who handed me a signed game used chest protector.

I didn't ask for it and it was very much a great surprise as I have collected Brian's gear in the past!

Name:  brian_schchneider_chest_protector2.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  83.3 KB

Andrew

I have had the pleasure of meeting Chone Figgins a few times and everytime he has been great. One time we joked around that I could beat him in a foot race (which could never happen) and he said that we should give it a try as he looked faster on TV then in real life. He is always humble and has a smile for everyone.

Dave Z

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    I don't even know who that is, but that's really nice. How do you get players to just give you BP-used items? Wish I knew your trick.
    He hasnt been in the majors long when I got the hat he was in the majors like 7 days so its likely his first mlb hat. I just ask for stuff, allstarsplus that chest protector is awsome! Is it for sale?

In '99 a buddy and I headed out to Cooperstown to see Robin Yount get inducted. We had a 2-hour delay in Cincinnatti. Heading over to the waiting area we noticed a familiar face...Robin Yount.

Our intent was to just say hi quickly and get a ball signed. He was with his family, and we didn't want to bug him...But he kept asking us questions: "What part of Wisconsin are you from? Where are you staying in Cooperstown?" etc. The next thing we knew, we were boarding plane having talked with Robin through the entire delay.

About two months later the Brewers were honoring Yount at a game. They had a presentation, and fans received HOF posters. After the game I was by the clubhouse waiting for a friend who was pitching for the crew at the time. Sure enough, there was Robin. Since I had the poster, I figured I'd ask him to sign it. As he was signing it he says "so how did that campground outside of Cooperstown work out?"

He was always one of my heroes, but this really solidified it for me. What a great guy.
    Scott Harpt
    scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
    Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas