Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: Your BEST Experience Dealing with an Athlete

I have one other experience I thought I'd share on the thread after reading about Josh Hamilton who has had is share of problems. Former NBA player Isaiah "J.R." Rider is a friend of mine who I know from my hometown of Alameda, CA. I once went to a Timberwolves game when I was in Minnesota for work and decided I'd say hi before the game. We chatted for a bit and then after the game he got me a family pass to come back into the lockerroom area. Got to meet a few of the players then we hung out for a little while after the game. This was all totally unexpected and was a nice gesture on his part. The funny part was as we were driving around he told me to look in the backseat of his car and there was his NBA Slam Dunk Championship trophy just sitting there. Now that would be a nice piece of memorabilia to have for the collection.

Anyhow, despite his on and off the court problems I just got to say that J.R. is a really nice guy who I hope gets his life in order. It's funny I never asked him for any game used stuff but have recently purchased a couple of his jerseys for keepsakes. Gotta rep the hometown guys!!

We were attending a Texas Rangers function during Pudge Rodriguez's last season in Texas. It was pretty clear then the Rangers wouldn't be bringing him back. He came in and sat down and was signing autographs and having his picture taken. My wife is a big fan of his and we went through the line and got an autograph and took her picture with him. After we went through the line I told her that you've had your picture taken with him before and I never have. So we got back in line. When we reached him I said we were back because I had never had my picture taken with him and my wife had. He was happy to have our picture taken together. Then he turned to my wife and said, "Would you like another picture?" And I took another picture of them. He had a lot of people lined up and yet he was very gracious in taking his time with us twice. Its really rare for an athlete to ask someone if they would like a second picture when they have already taken one. I think he could tell we really were fans of his and he knew the Rangers wouldn't bring him back and that was his way of saying goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by cjclong View Post
    We were attending a Texas Rangers function during Pudge Rodriguez's last season in Texas. It was pretty clear then the Rangers wouldn't be bringing him back. He came in and sat down and was signing autographs and having his picture taken. My wife is a big fan of his and we went through the line and got an autograph and took her picture with him. After we went through the line I told her that you've had your picture taken with him before and I never have. So we got back in line. When we reached him I said we were back because I had never had my picture taken with him and my wife had. He was happy to have our picture taken together. Then he turned to my wife and said, "Would you like another picture?" And I took another picture of them. He had a lot of people lined up and yet he was very gracious in taking his time with us twice. Its really rare for an athlete to ask someone if they would like a second picture when they have already taken one. I think he could tell we really were fans of his and he knew the Rangers wouldn't bring him back and that was his way of saying goodbye.
    or, she is good looking

Jeff you were right on about Jack Clark, met him this week at a signing and he was a great guy. Offered to do a picture, signed my bat with THE RIPPER and 340 HRs on it. Nice to see the older guys still care about the fans and just showing up for the money.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post
    Jeff you were right on about Jack Clark, met him this week at a signing and he was a great guy. Offered to do a picture, signed my bat with THE RIPPER and 340 HRs on it. Nice to see the older guys still care about the fans and just showing up for the money.
    Odd, I recall the guy being a class A jerk when he played. He couldn't even get along with Tony Gwynn when he was with the Pads here in SD, and that's saying something.

Quote Originally Posted by mvandor View Post
    Odd, I recall the guy being a class A jerk when he played. He couldn't even get along with Tony Gwynn when he was with the Pads here in SD, and that's saying something.
    I have seen many turn on the charm when money is involved...

Quote Originally Posted by bubbrubb25 View Post
    Great story! Do you have a pic of the bat?

Ask and you shall receive!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Wow, nice Hamilton bat. Pretty cool story to go with the bat by the way.

I actually have two GREAT experiences, one was a pleasant suprise. That would be Ted Williams. I had met Mr. Williams as a kid and he was not the most pleasant person, but that is a story for another day (although he did give me his autograugh that time). The great experience was in the year 2000 (I believe) and George Bush Jr. was in a very tight race with John McCain in the New Hampshire Primary. Williams was very sick at the time but flew up from Florida to give a speech for Bush. Prior to the speech my wife and I were able to spend some time in Ted's hotel room and meet and talk with him. The people in the room were amazing also, HOFers etc. It was a small hotel room and not the suite that I would have pictured. Ted was extremly pleasant to both of us asking me questions on my job and flirting with my wife. He was in a wheelchair and I believe this was his second to last public appearance before he died. He was in such great spirits, laughing etc, it will be how I always remember him.

The other great experience was with Luis Tiant. Tiant was in my hometown on vacation when he ran into a couple of my coworkers. The coworkers asked Tiant if they wanted to meet his "number 1" fan" (me). Tiant said sure and he actually drove 6 miles to my office and meet with me for an hour in my office! Tiant was such a nice guy and I could not believe I was talking to one of my boyhood heroes. His wife was just as pleasant. Of course I gave him my card and said if he ever wanted to sell any of his old game used uniforms etc.....He did say he had some of his old gloves but he did not save a lot of his stuff. He autographed one of his cigars for me and after an hour of talking about his major league career he left. A great experience...

Name:  IMG_0881.JPG
Views: 591
Size:  455.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0877.JPG
Views: 465
Size:  579.7 KB

If I had to pick the BEST experience dealing with an athlete I'd have to say it was Jack Lambert. When I was 18, I got an tattoo of Lambert's 1984 Sports Illustrated cover on my back. You can actually see it at this link: http://www.lambert58.com/Jackedup/Jackedup.html Anyways, I met a dealer in Cleveland who lives close to me in Central NY. After talkin' to him for a while he got me in the back when Lambert was signing mail order stuff for all the vendors. He wasn't very talkative. Then I decided I drove over 6hrs to meet him and I had nothing to lose. So I showed him my tattoo. He loved it. He told me I was "f**kin' nuts" when he found out it was real. Anyways, I've had the priviledge of seeing Lambert multiple times. But everytime he sees my son, he picks him up and talks to him. Which means the most of anything he's done.