Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Your BEST Experience Dealing with an Athlete

I wanted to start a thread to offset the worst experience thread because it seems most of what we hear lately is bad about athletes. Don't get me wrong, the other thread has some incredible stories in it and I am really enjoying it. But I would also like to hear the good about the guys we collect. Some of my favorite players I collect because they are NICE guys which makes it easier for me to spend my hard earned money on their items. And for the record, I am a guy going on 40 who collects autographs for the enjoyment, I won't sell an autograph I got for free.

For instance, I am a huge Adam Vinatieri fan (even though he went to the Colts ). I have met Adam on 3 occasions, each time after a game. Every time he has taken the time to sign, shake hands, take pictures with and talk to EVERYONE who wanted to. The first time I met him, I thanked him for being a good guy and caring about us fans. He then thanked me for being a great fan and for comming to the game. That left an impression on me.

So the third time I met him, I had on his jersey I bought just because I knew he would sign it for me. Well after 2 plus hours of trying to catch him outside Foxboro stadium, I was about to give up. By chance I stopped in the parking lot and asked some other collectors if they had seen Adam. One said he was just about to leave and drive by right where we were standing. When he drove by I ripped open my jacket and hollered "PLEASE SIGN MY JERSEY!" He drove by, saw me in the side mirror, and stopped. He signed for a few others through the window of his truck, but when it came to me, he got out of the truck, signed my jersey, asked if I would like a picture with him, shook my hand and thanked me for being a fan of his. My best friend who was with me and is a Dolphins fan thought I was crazy wanting a kickers autograph. Well, about 4 weeks later, he kicked the game winner in the SB against the Rams.

Because Adam has been so nice to me everytime I have met him, I have tried to collect what cards and autographs I could of his. One of my prized possessions are his game used gloves from the AFC Championship against Pittsburgh in 2005. No, they are no helmet or jersey (I'm small time compared to most of you), but still something game used and something that brings me a ton of enjoyment because I know what a good guy Adam is.

So please share any good experiences you have had with athletes.

Re: Your BEST Experience Dealing with an Athlete

Today at one of the rangers caravan stops i got jarrod saltalamachia and ian kinslers autographs on game used bats and they wrote game used on them. i have met jim sundberg several times and he has been realy great. one time at an event steve carlton and jim sundberg were there and my brother had his catchers glove. my brother is 12. jim picked it up and talked to my brother about catching for a few minutes and steve carlton threw him a ball. jim made a big deal about my brothers glove being the only one ever used in a pitch by steve carlton and caught by jim sundberg. my brother was pretty excited. jim sundberg is a great guy. also too ian kinsler has signed every time i have seen him.

Talking Re: Your BEST Experience Dealing with an Athlete

Best experience with an athlete is far and away Jeff Bagwell. I met him once in Houston, and held up a sign proclaiming how many miles we flew to see him. We had to get the security guard to point it out to him, but once Bagwell saw the sign, he came over to sign everything, including a game used bat, which he doesn't like doing apparently. My Dad explained to Bagwell how this was my 13th birthday present - coming to see him - and Bagwell even wished me a happy birthday.

The story gets better, though. We have a home in Arizona, and later that season, the Astros were playing the D-Backs in Phoenix. Jeff Bagwell hits the game-winning HR in extra innings. Then we go out to a steak restaurant, and there is Bagwell with Brad Ausmus. My Dad again takes me up to meet Jeff Bagwell and tells him how big of a fan I am. I get to high-five Bagwell, and he treats me like any other human being. The next day at the ballpark, we called over to him, and he signed my jersey and my brother's t-shirt. My favorite experience by far. Bagwell was my favorite player before meeting him, but the way he treated me really made a big impression.

Banned

For many years I collected autographs at the ballpark and team hotels. These are the guys who pop to mind when I think of great guys to deal with in person:

Dikembe Mutombo...total class act, and surprisingly funny
    Torii Hunter...talked for quite a while about my fantasy team
    Juan Gonzalez...bought me a coffee at Starbucks
    Jermaine O'Neal...will sign as many autos as you have
    Paul Molitor...real nice down to earth guy
    Tyron Lue...so hung over prior to morning shootaround, almost threw up on me, but still signed
    Desagana Diop....Great guy..super nice
    Richie Sexson
    Rod Beck....offered to share a cab with me to the Skydome
    Bo Outlaw
    David Robinson
    Sandy Alomar Jr
    Mike Modano
    Jason Terry...hilarious
    Bob McAdoo...super great signed, adds MVP inscription and always willing to chat
    Ed Sprague

The other side of the discussion inlcude:

Allen Iverson...far and away
    Othella Harrington
    Felipe Alou...total jerk...was walking to the Skydome carrying a 26'er of Rum in a brown paper bag (it was 10:00 in the morning)
    Kevin Bacon...the actor and his wife...don't get me started
    Alonzo Mourning...won't acknowledge a soul
    Kevin Garnett...so many guys in his entourage, acted like he was king

Those are just some that jump to mind

My best expereince with any pro athlete has to be Mike Sweeney of the Royals. Although the guy gets a bad rep for all of his injuries he is an amazing guy. He was on a rehab assignment a year or two ago in Burlington Iowa, with the Burlington Bees (single A team) He was near an old barn/ batting cage and saw a few younger kids and 3 college guys which happened to be me and my buddies. He stopped what he was doing and came out and signed for everyone. When I got up there he talked with me about last time he was in Burlington, the future of the Royals and one of my favorite players Alex Gordon. He saw my girlfriend taking a picture of him signing and asked if I wanted a picture together of him and I. Put his arm around me and just proved to be one of the classiest guys I have ever met. The next day he set aside a couple of hours to do an autograph signing for any fans before the game and than treated his entire new teammates to a steak dinner.

I know Mike has battled many many injuries and sometimes gets nagged by Royals fans, but Mike Sweeney will far and away always stand out in my mind.

Cal Ripken is great whether you are paying for the autograph or not. He talks to everyone seeking his autograph and will often break his own "rules" set for the signing and do a customized auto.

Roger Clemens is also great to deal with. Very engaging into discussions about items and let's you know that he collects too for his family and Charity.

Best at an out-of-town stadium was Shawn Green who signed multiple items and signed every item for every fan until the last one was signed.

Funnest autograph to try to get at the stadium was Mark McGwire who signed at every game while none of his teammates did.

Craziest to meet (not at a game) is Clinton Portis as you never know what he will say or what he will be wearing.

Best in a private signing is Mike Bacsik (gave up Bonds HR #715) who will take his time signing and tell some great stories.

Favorite young player is Ryan Zimmerman who signed autographs last year for my entire 13 year old baseball team. A class act and great kid.

Andrew

Among the nicest people I've ever met:

Matt Williams - One of the most hardnosed and serious ballplayers ever, and off the field a huge teddy bear. Treats everybody with total respect, and makes you feel like a friend.

Luis Gonzalez - Known in the Phoenix area as one of the most genuinely nice guys around town. Took the time to instruct me in how to get a baseball signed, when I was a novice autograph hound.

Mike Morgan - Will talk a blue streak about whatever pops into his mind, while he's putting 57 lines of inscription around his signature - everything but a weather report. Highly entertaining.

Steve Finley - Just like a big kid at signings, loving every minute. Loves to see his old bats.

Bobby Witt - Saw him shortly after his retirement, after the '01 season, and had a nice conversation. Put a nice signature on one of my favorite game-used items - a beautiful, dark-green A's jersey from 1994 - and gave me a run-down on all the stuff the docs had done to keep his worn-out body in one piece.

Miguel Batista - A very sweet, funny guy. Used to flirt with my teenaged daughter all the time, starting when she was twelve. Hide your women, but a nice guy, nonetheless.

Bob Brenly, Conor Jackson, David Dellucci, Greg Colbrunn, Jim Traber...all great.

My best experience was meeting Mohammed Ali at a Show in Pomona. It is the same show I meet Alex Rodriguez for the first time. Although he was difficult to understand because of his past heart attack, he just made everyone feel comfortable and brought energy to the room. I took the package that allowed photos and autograph. In one pose he threw a pose as if he was gonna uppercut me. He was really funny. A real character. He is The Greatest.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Banned

Best ever for me is Frank Hondo Howard. He will hold court and tell stories and treat each person like a personal friend. Class act all the way. Brooks Robinson is up there as well.
    My modern day player is Roberto Alomar who I asked for an autograph in Detroit when he got his 2000th hit. He was on the team bus and told me to come back tomorrow - (he had gotten beaned in the head that night). Sure enough, he saw me in the crowd the next day and waved me down to the front run to sign for me.

I met Sandy Alomar at a signing in the late 90's. He was so incredibly nice and talked to me and my son for a while and also signed several items. He was so appreciative of everyone who came out that it made the experience that much better- a real class act!!!