Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Autographs on a Game Used Jersey?

In the Japanese market, having any game-used item signed by the respective player is a HUGE plus. The collectors think somehow the autograph "endorses" the authenticity of the item, which may or may not be the case depending on the player.

I, myself, for resale purposes always prefer a signed gamer, with no preference on where as long as the autograph doesn't draw too much attention away from the jersey itself.

For display purposes for myself, if the jersey has name+number on the back, definately a thin silver paintpen on the number. If there is no name on the back, but a number on the front and back, I would prefer to get the front signed near the bottom.

Goh

Banned

Goodeyesports as I mentioned to bulbus I am not a big fan of the silver marker on a jersey bcuz over time the autograph will fade and there goes your money out the window.

I dont know Suave, I have a Mattingly (non g/u) jersey that I had him sign the blue number in siver. Its been about 5 1/2 years and there is no evidence of fading. You just never know when an autograph is going to fade or bleed. That being said, I think it is wise NOT to have an expensive piece autographed.

I don't have any gamers, but I did have a team issued jersey signed by Iverson quite a few years ago. What a horrible looking auto! If I'd have known what his signature looked like, I would have not had the jersey signed. Had a potential buyer ask if I thought the auto would wash out

I'm not really big on autos that most people can't read.

Greg

Thats another consideration when getting an autograph. If the players signature is scribble, then I wont even waste my money or time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BULBUS
    Thats another consideration when getting an autograph. If the players signature is scribble, then I wont even waste my money or time.
    me too. Why put something on there that when viewed by others receives a "What the heck is that?" question. As for silver markers, I believe there are some permanent paint pens that won't fade. Having said that, avoid silver Sharpies, IMO.

Banned

Thanks for all the opinions!!!

Banned

I have a 1987-88 game used Larry Bird jersey. He donated it to Ted Turner's Charity Auction and before he gave it to Ted he autographed it pretty large on the back in black sharpie "Best Wishes Larry Bird". It looks good, but if I had my druthers it wouldn't be autographed. Really hasn't faded and it's going on 20 years.
    Greg

Cool Re: Autographs on a Game Used Jersey?

Not sure I can add much more to this other than it is just personal preference.

I am curious however as to the number of people that say "was it signed when the player wore it?" are the same ones that wear gamers around the house, running errands, going to the games. I'm not going to assume anyone here is doing that but some hockey guys I've talked to wear the gamers yet insist on no autos cause it wasn't signed when the player wore it, well is the beer spill or mustard stain from the player too? Was your sweat in the jersey when the player wore it?

I have a few gamers that are signed and they were signed before I bought them. It doesn't matter to me if it's signed or not, as long as the auto is real(as is the jersey). If I want a jersey an auto or no auto won't change my mind.

For autographs on a jersey, I started this;

It's a spring training used jersey with no name/number on it. I bought it with 1 auto on it and now have 39 player/manager/coach autographs on it. It was started with a blue pen, which has kept me going using a blue pen but it has faded because of this. Some are a bright blue(most recent) while others are a dark blue(oldest). It's even kept in a dark closet when I'm not having it signed.

I'm thinking about starting another one and using a black pen instead, so the fading isn't an issue.

It is, of course, a matter of personal preference for owners of the jerseys. To me, autographs on jerseys are rarely desirable. If they are on a jersey, I prefer that they be a reasonable size, legible, and on the tail next to the tags. I think an auto should not be visible on a part of the jersey that was visible to the fans while playing. Bottom line is that legit game worn jerseys are as personal as it gets and adding an auto adds nothing and runs a risk of making the jersey look bad. Autos on a game ISSUED jersey: that's completely different as autos do add personalization to what would otherwise be a piece off cloth that the player had no contact with.

In this hobby, sometimes less is more. I hope dealers in legit gamers will realize that there are a lot of people who feel the way I do.