Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Criticism of this forum

Quote Originally Posted by bigtime59 View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I miss our former member...you know, the one with the Woodstock avatar. It was always amusing to wind him up by inquiring about all those superstar jerseys he would offer for sale on eBay, and the surprising lack of commons in his inventory...
    Or to be regaled with ribald tales of playing Texas Hold 'Em at 4 a.m. w/ 5 Playmates, King Kong and the poker playing dogs...
    Every neighborhood should have at least one guy who lives in a sub-spec glass house and "has a large rock collection" and too much time on his hands!
    I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting a little wet around the eyes right now...

the guy collects rocks?

Banned

Well I am not going to say anything about Mr. Alpert I think everyone here already knows the wars we been through and how I feel about him and I will leave it at that.

I am disaapointed with Mr. Medeimas as to the best of my knowledge he is respected in most circles of this hobby ( I could be wrong) / and and dont know why he would put down a related hobby site trying to educate????

This forum has numerous - and I mean - numerous times - exposed questionable and sometimes outright fake jerseys being sold on ebay, and most egregiously, at the major auction houses. Amazingly, after forum members point out problems/inconsistencies/problems with jerseys that are being sold for sometimes THOUSANDS of dollars, auction houses often ignore them or blow them off or disregard them. Also amazingly, jerseys are "authenticated" by "professionals" who write letters of authenticity based on no provenence or evidence of game use and write "shows evidence of game use" (explain that one to me).

This forum is great, it's enjoyable to read and sometimes interact with people who are interested and knowledgeable about the hobby, and if the auction houses are mad it probably means the forum is catching them too often in their shoddy research.

I still miss James Rast, though.

Quote Originally Posted by topekabob View Post
    This forum has numerous - and I mean - numerous times - exposed questionable and sometimes outright fake jerseys being sold on ebay, and most egregiously, at the major auction houses. Amazingly, after forum members point out problems/inconsistencies/problems with jerseys that are being sold for sometimes THOUSANDS of dollars, auction houses often ignore them or blow them off or disregard them. Also amazingly, jerseys are "authenticated" by "professionals" who write letters of authenticity based on no provenence or evidence of game use and write "shows evidence of game use" (explain that one to me).

This forum is great, it's enjoyable to read and sometimes interact with people who are interested and knowledgeable about the hobby, and if the auction houses are mad it probably means the forum is catching them too often in their shoddy research.

I still miss James Rast, though.
    Topekabob - Don't forget the Forum has also surfaced blatant conflicts of interest.

It would be in some's best interest to discredit much of the analysis done here so some of the crooks could go on with their business of ripping off people.

If just one additional person is educated here and saved time, money, and embarassment from buying a fake---then mission accomplished.

I also commend people like Bob Malandro of Steiner and Barry Meisel of MeiGray who have contributed in a big way on improving the systems out there and have come on the Forum to Post. I would encourage more people to step up and do the same.

Andrew

It was because of this forum's help, and especially Mike Specht that I was able to win my paypal case against someone who sold me a "Tony Oliva game use bat" that really wasn't a Tony Oliva game used bat.

And it is because of this forum I know have enough knowledge to not make that same mistake again.

As far as I am concerned if you take shots at the overall credibility of this forum then you have something to hide. Yes, there may be a few problems or imperfections here and there but it is impossible to ignore all of the good in order to point out the bad.

Bryan
    Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

I have read through this thread with great interest, because it shows the passion that the folks here have towards this hobby and doing whatever it takes to make it a better hobby. It gives me a warm feeling and a real assurance that it is a place I am happy to belong to and want to be going forward.

I don't want to belabor the points previously made by other forum members, because I have basically the same feelings, but I would like to single out one posting within this thread -- the narrative from bscott. This was well thought out and a pleasure to read. I'd like to see more from this guy in future...

Quote Originally Posted by bigtime59 View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I miss our former member...you know, the one with the Woodstock avatar. It was always amusing to wind him up by inquiring about all those superstar jerseys he would offer for sale on eBay, and the surprising lack of commons in his inventory...
    Or to be regaled with ribald tales of playing Texas Hold 'Em at 4 a.m. w/ 5 Playmates, King Kong and the poker playing dogs...
    Every neighborhood should have at least one guy who lives in a sub-spec glass house and has a large rock collection and too much time on his hands!
    I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting a little wet around the eyes right now...
    Mark,

This may be one of the funniest things I have read in a long, long time.

Tim

So that is what happened to our favorite little bird friend. I thought that Snoopy ate him

As far as "anonymous" goes, the majority of the regulars on this site sign their name on the bottom, and even some who don't are quick to identify themselves when asked.

Ken

One thing that needs to change here is the email addresses. Some people even post want ads and dont put their email address.

If a person cannott post responsibly enough to add their email address, then maybe they shouldnt post

We need to get email addys back on here

Thanks
    Jason
    ripken8@bellsouth.net