Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Best Modern Game Used Investments?

Not that we all collect to invest, but some game used purchases end up being good investments.

With this in mind, what current (non-vintage) MLB game used items do you think have the most potential to go up in value and why?

-bscott.

Re: Best Modern Game Used Investments?

Ryan Braun's jock strap...?

I have said many times to friends over the years that So Taguchi items will blossom at some point. He lives in Japan - it's not like he's going to be coming back to the US for signings regularly when he reitres.

He is the first and only MLB Japanese Cardinal - and the only one with a WS ring and another NLCS ring. Not to mention, he was a popular player in his 6 seasons in STL. I am just glad I have a few things of his.

Edgar Renteria is another sleeper. He projects HOF numbers, but his GU stuff is still pretty inexpensive. I say, buy low and sell high like all investments...and never over-invest. I am sure that many Mark Prior collectors are kicking themsleves right now.

Dave
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Charlie Batch

Relative to other players of his era, how about Greg Maddux? Good chance that in 10, 20 years, he'll be ranked as the best pitcher of his era.

I sincerely hope that Justin Upton's minor league jerseys will prove to be a huge investment gold mine some day, since I seem to have just about cornered the market on them. I'm actually not counting on it...but it would be nice.

My list would be guys who are close to retirement but HOF bound:

Greg Maddux
    Tom Glavine
    Randy Johnson
    Ken Griffey Jr.
    Frank Thomas
    Ivan Rodriguez
    Mike Piazza

The only jockstrap that would be funny to have:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/...trap-incident/

I'm not sure if many true modern "investments" are out there. Superstar jerseys, in particular, need good documentation and/or provenance because unfortunately, lots of pro-cut unworn items are being made these days (not to mention the usual gamble of how the player will perform on the field). A good superstar jersey like this will cost you at least a couple thousand dollars, so you really have to "pay to play" when it comes to an item like this.

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    I sincerely hope that Justin Upton's minor league jerseys will prove to be a huge investment gold mine some day, since I seem to have just about cornered the market on them. I'm actually not counting on it...but it would be nice.
    Do you happen to have his South Bend one?
    "We need rebirth of the American tradition of leadership ... in private life as well." "'Trust me' government asks that we concentrate our hopes and dreams on one man; that we trust him to do what's best for us. My view of government places trust not in one person or one party, but in those values that transcend persons and parties. The trust is where it belongs--in the people." - Ronald Reagan"

http://www.freewebs.com/chrishwish/

1) Jeter
    2) Jeter
    3) Jeter
    4) Jeter
    5) Jeter