Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who will be in class of 2013 BB HOF?

I think Morris, Biggio, and Piazza will get the nod. Wish Edgar would get in, he deserves it. We'll find out today.

What do you think?

Re: Who will be in class of 2013 BB HOF?

No "roids" in HOF!

It may be no one, although Biggio has the best chance of any IMO

I thought Biggio would have gotten in.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Wow no one....Biggio for sure next year..
    Ebay seller: mancaveauctions

Collecting Marlins Game Used jerseys, Jeff Conine,
    250 HR / 250 SB Club Members.

It's a crying shame Biggio and Bagwell didn't get in...The stats are un-deniable (especially in bagwell's case when you consider his injuries and how they affected his stats)...but besides the stats there's other view points that make these guys great...their hustle and commitment that doesn't always show on the stat sheets like biggio's heart and hustle, same for bagwell as well, (he was one of the best baserunners in the league and he was a freaking first basemen)these guys were tough, hard nosed players who played the game the way it should be...and another point as well that should be considered is how much these guys have had an impact on this community. These 2 are rock stars around houston still to this day and deservedly so because of their greatness on and off the field...They brought endless excitement to the city and the community...countless days spent doing ACTUAL community work (not just setting up some fund and donating a couple of dollars to it)...I could go on all day about this but to sum it up Big and Bagpipes are the face of the Astros franchise and it's just a down-right sad day for the Houston area and baseball in general...personally I'm disgusted and I know that I'm not the only one that feels this way...shame on you voters...

I think Biggio should've gotten in especially.. he may not be baseball royalty or a typ. 1st ballot guy, but I think it would've sent a message to all the roid guys... If you'd done it right, you'd be up there with him. I think it lessens the sting to them since nobody got the nod.
    Thanks,
    Jimmy

Email:
    jamesbrandt24 at yahoo.com

What a sham and a shame that the cheaters - Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, etc - figure out a way to continue screwing baseball and the good guys - McGriff, Morris, Murphy, Biggio, Walker, etc - by 'splitting the vote' and therefore causing there to be 'no joy in Mudville' this July as there will be no MLB HOF Class of 2013.

My bigger issue is with the jackass writers who don't even use all 10 spots they are given... they will only vote for 2 or 3 because they think the induction groups need to remain small. The initial class was FIVE (5) - Ruth, Wagner, Johnson, Speaker, Cobb.

Some writers even lamented publicly that they 'hope' there is still time and room on the ballot in coming years for McGriff and Morris and such. WTF? If you'd vote for them later, vote for them NOW!

I am really and truly disappointed in the BBWAA today.

Quote Originally Posted by jwal23 View Post
    It's a crying shame Biggio and Bagwell didn't get in...The stats are un-deniable (especially in bagwell's case when you consider his injuries and how they affected his stats)...but besides the stats there's other view points that make these guys great...their hustle and commitment that doesn't always show on the stat sheets like biggio's heart and hustle, same for bagwell as well, (he was one of the best baserunners in the league and he was a freaking first basemen)these guys were tough, hard nosed players who played the game the way it should be...and another point as well that should be considered is how much these guys have had an impact on this community. These 2 are rock stars around houston still to this day and deservedly so because of their greatness on and off the field...They brought endless excitement to the city and the community...countless days spent doing ACTUAL community work (not just setting up some fund and donating a couple of dollars to it)...I could go on all day about this but to sum it up Big and Bagpipes are the face of the Astros franchise and it's just a down-right sad day for the Houston area and baseball in general...personally I'm disgusted and I know that I'm not the only one that feels this way...shame on you voters...
    I'm not anti-Bagwell or anything, but his stats aren't exactly Ruthian. Your comment "when you consider his injuries and how they affected his stats" sound like an excuse as to why his stats aren't better. Well, BB history is filled with HOF-caliber players whose stats have been adversely affected by injuries (or a war, or racism.)

Am I the only one who is really surprised by the lack of Piazza love here? The best hitting catcher of all time??

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
    I'm not anti-Bagwell or anything, but his stats aren't exactly Ruthian. Your comment "when you consider his injuries and how they affected his stats" sound like an excuse as to why his stats aren't better. Well, BB history is filled with HOF-caliber players whose stats have been adversely affected by injuries (or a war, or racism.)

Am I the only one who is really surprised by the lack of Piazza love here? The best hitting catcher of all time??

Ken

I won't argue your point about other players stats being affected by injuries, and yes of course his stats aren't "Ruthian" but this man put up some very gaudy numbers and along with Biggio was the face of the franchise and the city for many years...These writers need to step back and look at the big picture..the HOF is a musuem that shows/tells fans about the greatest players from the respective eras in baseball history and Bagwell was right up there with the rest of them from his era and should've been inducted before this year..sure there may be guys with just as good/some maybe even better statistical numbers, and I hate to go here because personally I hate all these sabermetric numbers (think I spelled that right, if not close), but even when Bill James names a player one of the top 4 or 5 best ever at his position that's gotta speak volumes if your looking at statistics alone...

...and yes im completely on your side about the Piazza debate...hands down should've been voted in this year along with several others...