Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: NFL Auctions Pricing Reaching Unreasonable Levels?

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Of course a auction lot can go way over or under market value in any auction. If auction lots across the board go way overboard, then there is serious question. A comparison is to look at lots in a REA, Lelands or Mastro Auctions-- which are the top advertised sport auction houses in the world and will presumably receive fair market value. If another auction house is trouncing these auction houses across the board, then something would appear to be amiss.

Also note that in most legitimate big auctions, the prices slowly go up as the auction proceeds. Of course some lots will legitimately start with a bang, but most proceed methodically. I've often seriously wondered about auction houses where the bids are across the board at or above market value on day one or two-- as this is abnormal compared to other auction houses.
    I agree 100% with this post

There is no question that there is shill bidding goimg on at some auction houses...sometimes I think that it's also done to try and drive up the market, not just an individual piece

I'm still trying to figure out if shill bidding is legal in Nevada

I would be shell shocked if there is shill biiding going on at NFL auctions...what would be the point?...I have not seen a real good deal on NFL, but I guess that's where a true collector goes to buy something because he wants 100% piece of mind that it's real..I do think that the Steven Jackson jersey was a good deal last night...it has upside, but that's about it IMO

There were some decent deals I thought

Jason Taylor jersey went for $1320
    http://www.nflauction.nfl.com/cgi-bi...aunbr=91182970

Julius Peppers jersey $1150
    http://www.nflauction.nfl.com/cgi-bi...aunbr=91351217

Stephen Jackson jersey $1035
    http://www.nflauction.nfl.com/cgi-bi...aunbr=91248712

John Lynch jersey $920
    http://www.nflauction.nfl.com/cgi-bi...aunbr=91186161

Shawne Merriman throwback pants $615
    http://www.nflauction.nfl.com/cgi-bi...aunbr=91381157

Lavernaeus Coles Throwback helmet $495
    http://www.nflauction.nfl.com/cgi-bi...aunbr=91359245
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Quote Originally Posted by scottanservitz View Post
    Chad Pennington for over 3K? Are you kidding me? Hall of Fame jerseys can be had for less than most of these. I am just dumbfounded on these prices.
    Scott
    Suum cuique amigo...America...what a great country...Happy Collecting!!!

I really wonder how many real collectors are on this site. Owning these items is not about the money to collectors, it is about having the item. Crying about about what others do with their money seems to be a standard here. Worrying about the collector getting their money back is a waste of your time. My stuff is not for sale unless I get what I want, when I deside to sell it. I personally make my money somewhere else, I just spend it on game used items that I want. I guess we "collectors" should just backoff and let you "investors" have the stuff so you can resale it?

The statement that the owners of the other LT jerseys could not get $14K for them is a uneducated statement. May things go on amount collectors that is not made public or seen on a auction web site. Personally, I have been offered more than that for my 2006. It's not for sale, I like it more than having the money. Its a great peice in my collection. There have been 5 sold by the NFL. I bought 3 of them, paid what it took each time. I have never lost any money on them. If I wanted to look at it in this way, deducting what I made on the two I sold, I have less than I paid for the first one, $4600.00, in my 2006.

I am sure the buyer of the 2007 LT, who I know and is a member here, did not want to pay that much but, wanted it enough to. He makes his money somewhere else too.

Collecting football game used items is something I do for enjoyment. I collect other things too, Cars, Wooden duck decoys, Old Sleepy Eye pottery, Gibson and Rickenbacher Guitars. It gets my mind off everyday things, I like the stuff. I started out on the lower end. Bought and sold, upgraded till I could own the things I really want. I looked at a Gibson guitar Saturday, the guy wanted $36K. I did not want it that bad, maybe $20K. If someone likes it that much it does not make me mad that he wants to pay that. Its his money.

Personally, I say way to step up to the plate SilverOak and Gridman80 to get what you want for your collections and the many other that got great stuff from the best place to get it.

Roger

Great post Roger - thanks for doing a great job of putting into words what I know I was thinking.

Could I get your e-mail address? I had a question for you.

Thanks,

Tom

Wow. I don't really know how to respond to that but I'm gonna give it a crack.......

We all know Roger is playing with a FAT stack....I mean fat. And more power to him for being able to spend money like that. Wish I could but I can't. Family, 2 cars, mortgage, kids' college tuition, etc., etc. make that not possible. I would imagine the vast majority of us are in the same boat. In fact I would be correct in saying the vast majority of the population, in general.....are in the same boat. Most of us can't imagine being able to drop 4K on a "shirt" or 20K on a "geetar". That just doesn't fall within the bounds of reality for most of us.
    I guess to sum it up I'd have to say to Roger and the other "fat stack" guys out there: enjoy the fact that you can do what most of us can't. I for one am happy for you and don't begrudge you for it a bit, but just remember one thing.......don't get all flabergasted and defensive when one of us "little stack" guys bitches about how much people are willing to pay for things we wish we had a shot at. 'Cuz, brother when you got bills to pay, kids to raise, and you're doing it with 1 or 2 average household incomes, a 4k jersey just isn't going to happen and a 20k guitar is a fairy tale.
    I'm 43 years old and smart enough to know that "the good stuff costs extra" but a man's right to complain about it is his, and is absolutely free.
    My 2 pesos.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 34swtns View Post
    Wow. I don't really know how to respond to that but I'm gonna give it a crack.......

We all know Roger is playing with a FAT stack....I mean fat. And more power to him for being able to spend money like that. Wish I could but I can't. Family, 2 cars, mortgage, kids' college tuition, etc., etc. make that not possible. I would imagine the vast majority of us are in the same boat. In fact I would be correct in saying the vast majority of the population, in general.....are in the same boat. Most of us can't imagine being able to drop 4K on a "shirt" or 20K on a "geetar". That just doesn't fall within the bounds of reality for most of us.
    I guess to sum it up I'd have to say to Roger and the other "fat stack" guys out there: enjoy the fact that you can do what most of us can't. I for one am happy for you and don't begrudge you for it a bit, but just remember one thing.......don't get all flabergasted and defensive when one of us "little stack" guys bitches about how much people are willing to pay for things we wish we had a shot at. 'Cuz, brother when you got bills to pay, kids to raise, and you're doing it with 1 or 2 average household incomes, a 4k jersey just isn't going to happen and a 20k guitar is a fairy tale.
    I'm 43 years old and smart enough to know that "the good stuff costs extra" but a man's right to complain about it is his, and is absolutely free.
    My 2 pesos.
    Co-sign.

I don't begrudge anyone their "stack" but when they bag on the less fortunate? C'mon Rog. When you're investing thousands, a wise man that lacks money to burn wants to know he can at least get his money out when he liquidates.

Quote Originally Posted by mvandor View Post
    Co-sign.

I don't begrudge anyone their "stack" but when they bag on the less fortunate? C'mon Rog. When you're investing thousands, a wise man that lacks money to burn wants to know he can at least get his money out when he liquidates.
    Precisely. While the true "collector" will respond with an impassioned "but my stuff will never be for sale", (and God luv ya' for feeling that way), he must realize that he is the exception and not the rule. Most of us buy with a keen eye on "the other end" of our collections: the day when us or some family member who inherits our "junk" will have to re-sell it all. I've collected many things in the past and have always lived by the "smart collector's Rule #1": never buy anything that doesn't acrue in value. (Except your car, of course).
    While it would certainly be nice to be able to pay any price under the sun for things just because you want them, most of us have no desire to be buried with our collections and so have to be more realistic in purchasing for the longhaul. I don't want my family to end up stuck trying to re-sell a bunch of stuff that I WAY overpaid for.

Lightbulb Re: NFL Auctions Pricing Reaching Unreasonable Levels?

mvandor & 34swtns, you guys are right on! Couldn't have said it better... on a side note, with regards to buying from an impecable source, last year the Toronto Argonauts (CFL) team was selling game used jerseys on eBay and their Ricky Williams jersey was no where near game used! They stated the exact game that it was worn in and it showed ZERO wear... I found several pictures from that game (an outdoor, natural grass & dirt game) and his jersey was simply covered with incredible wear (none of which was on their jersey... and washing alone wouldn't have cleaned it up that much)... I sent them the pics I had and they stopped all email communication... the jersey, oddly enough, still remained on eBay Anyway, buy what you want (and what you can afford)

Roger (the other one)

Quote Originally Posted by mvandor View Post
    Co-sign.

"Bag on the less fortunate?"...come on Mvandor, are you kidding me?????

This site has members who range from one end of the financial spectrum to the other end...it's totally cool if people want to talk about the prices that people are paying, but it has started changing in it's tone... people on here have started implying that some buyers are "stupid or idiots" for spending the money that they do on stuff...maybe you guys are starting to hit a nerve within this thread...

so a guy comes on here to defend his thinking, and when actually YOU are the ones bagging on them!!!

there has never been one time where anyone has come on here and glaoted that they can afford something when others can't...is it that you're jealous?...That's my guess!!!!

SO LET IT GO!!!!!!!!!!!