Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: NFL Auctions Pricing Reaching Unreasonable Levels?

I am not sure where the myth that I am wealth got started. I have amassed a lot of stuff in 55 years, thats the way it usually works. I do spend my extra money on game used items as I want. I restore cars for a living. I am compensated, well as I am good. www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com You can see what I do.

I do not disrespect anyone here for what the collect. You can buy big foam fingers, that were waved at a game, if that is what turns you on. I got one customer that has 6000 beer openers??????

I do have regard for the amount I spend. I wanted to buy the Simms and Harte jerseys, Heisman winners, in AMI. They just went higher than I wanted to pay. I was saving my money for the LT helmet. Am I normal by standards?

After speaking to Victor, I found out a card company was bidding was bidding up the Harte. I told myself there is no way that jersey is worth that to me, and quit. Lucky enough some collector stayed on it and won it from being cut up. I suspect that is exactly what was going on with the 07 LT.

Spirited debate here is a fine. I alway like to know how other collectors, buyers, think. There is nothing wrong with dealers or individuals buying and selling, I have done a lot of it since 1995. I am always looking for the next great peice, upgrading.

There are always two or more bidders that set the prices we have to pay in NFL Auctions, I'm not sure about others . I wish I could spend less, I might buy another guitar. I may be sitting in a nursing home wearing my Peyton Manning jersey some day, cause I can't sell it, but I'll be enjoying it.

Respectfully,
    Roger

Jake51,

My email: irestorecars@sbcglobal.net

Roger

This whole issue is simply a difference between the "haves" and the "have nots". Neither can know the reasoning behind the other's actions. Bottom line.

Rudy....spoken like a true "have".
    I'm quite sure us "have nots" will all be just fine never having had the opportunity to own some of the luxury items owned by the "haves". One thing's for sure though, when all is said and done, I will have gained infinitely more of a "return" on my investment in my kids than all the jerseys in the world.

Maybe, in life, the true measure of a man is in what he truly places value upon. That being the case, I think us "have nots" are actually the real "haves" here, come to think of it.

"This whole issue is simply a difference between the "haves" and the "have nots". Neither can know the reasoning behind the other's actions. Bottom line.
    Rudy....spoken like a true "have".
    I'm quite sure us "have nots" will all be just fine never having had the opportunity to own some of the luxury items owned by the "haves". One thing's for sure though, when all is said and done, I will have gained infinitely more of a "return" on my investment in my kids than all the jerseys in the world."

spoke like a "have" because i said that this hobby may not be for everyone's budget? or because i said that there's nothing unfair about not being able to afford an LT gamer?

we're all simultaneously 'haves' and 'have nots'. some can't afford what i can and i can't afford what others can. i'm sure that's the same for you 34swtns. you call yourself a "have not" but that's only in relation to certain others. compare yourself to another group of folks and you're a "have".

i don't believe it's necessarily a have vs have not discussion. the issues i was responding to specifically were the ones expressing dismay at being priced out, those directing criticism towards those who simply decided to pay a certain price, and those that said that game-used items should always recoup their investments.

we're all priced out of certain things. it's how you're viewing it that's the issue. fact is, i'd love to own a '92 alomar WS game-used jersey. if one came on the market, it'd be too rich for my blood. i wouldn't sit there and lament my position and how it's unfair and say "the rich idiot who bought it has more money than sense! he'll never get his money back!". i'd say good for him, i hope he enjoys it, it's a great jersey. i'm priced out of a million things in life. someone here said it's a man's right to complain and it's free to do so. if you're going to lament all the things you can't afford in life, it's going to be a long, tiring life. however, i suppose a long tiring life is also your right and it's also free.

"Maybe, in life, the true measure of a man is in what he truly places value upon. That being the case, I think us "have nots" are actually the real "haves" here, come to think of it."

i agree that the measure of a man is in what he values. that said, i'm not sure what it is about being financially wealthy that precludes a person from valuing their family or friends as much as someone who isn't wealthy.
    you speak as if the "haves" can't possibly have friends and family and appreciate them as much as the "have nots".

rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by 34swtns View Post
    when all is said and done, I will have gained infinitely more of a "return" on my investment in my kids than all the jerseys in the world.
    by the way, you've proven my point. despite how much money you've poured into your kids, the intangible rewards were worth it. the money was irrelevant and you didn't expect a financial return.

in the same way, when someone pays a huge amount for a jersey that they really treasure, they don't give a rat's ass about whether or it they'll recoup their costs because the intangible rewards are worth it to them.

if you can understand that with kids, then you can understand it with something as simple as jerseys. kids aren't financial investments and i was simply saying that neither is a hobby. both offer intangible rewards that make the financial investment worth it.

rudy.

Gentlemen, I think we're beating a dead horse.

Chiming in a bit late, as recently, I'm not frequenting this forum nearly as often...

I don't see any use in throwing in my 2c, regarding rationale for for pricing or who does/does not and can/cannot afford to play in this particular sandbox. These topics have been pretty well covered Rather I thought I'd mention a trend recently noticed regarding a new and unique "buy-high-and sell-low" business model.

For some reason, a couple of folks bought what were assumed to be "bargains" via NFL Auction... Both 2007 Broncos game jerseys, a DJ Williams purchased last Nov for $705 and Dre Bly, selling in Dec for $475. Within a couple of short week, the Bly found its way to eBay with an asking price in excess of $800; the jersey was finally sold this week after accepting an offer of $450 (including NFLA shipping, a loss of $37). The Williams having been procured sooner, was listed considerably later, but sold in the same week, for $369--a loss (including shipping) of nearly $350!

While I certainly can't comment on the reasons for or thought processes behind these transaction, it should be reasonably clear that one cannot pay a premium price to acquire an item and then subsequently offer it for sale via a venue known for its bargain-basement offerings and expect to profit from the deal.

Best regards,
    Patrick W. Scoggin
    Endzone Sports Charities
    www.EndzoneSportsCharities.org

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EndzoneSports View Post
    Chiming in a bit late, as recently, I'm not frequenting this forum nearly as often...

I don't see any use in throwing in my 2c, regarding rationale for for pricing or who does/does not and can/cannot afford to play in this particular sandbox. These topics have been pretty well covered Rather I thought I'd mention a trend recently noticed regarding a new and unique "buy-high-and sell-low" business model.

For some reason, a couple of folks bought what were assumed to be "bargains" via NFL Auction... Both 2007 Broncos game jerseys, a DJ Williams purchased last Nov for $705 and Dre Bly, selling in Dec for $475. Within a couple of short week, the Bly found its way to eBay with an asking price in excess of $800; the jersey was finally sold this week after accepting an offer of $450 (including NFLA shipping, a loss of $37). The Williams having been procured sooner, was listed considerably later, but sold in the same week, for $369--a loss (including shipping) of nearly $350!

While I certainly can't comment on the reasons for or thought processes behind these transaction, it should be reasonably clear that one cannot pay a premium price to acquire an item and then subsequently offer it for sale via a venue known for its bargain-basement offerings and expect to profit from the deal.

Best regards,
    While the auction houses seem to deliver greater prices on an undeserved superior air of legitimacy, you just documented my point, that being that even with the NFL COA, these items are being purchased at a premium that will not be supported on resale in the secondary market.

Quote Originally Posted by mvandor View Post
    .. even with the NFL COA, these items are being purchased at a premium that will not be supported on resale in the secondary market.
    i asked this earlier but failed to garner a response. a dealer can set any price they want, however realistic or unrealistic. an auction hammer price, on the other hand, is set by the market. NFL Auctions didn't sell that jersey for $X, it's collectors who bid it up to that amouint. that said, i'm genuinely curious why an item would sell for more on NFL Auctions than the same item would on Ebay (with full NFL certs). If an LT gamer sells for $10k on NFL Auctions, why would it fail to get substantially less than $10k if it were immediately flipped to ebay with full certs? both auctions are open to the same people so why are these people bidding more on the NFL website than on Ebay despite the provenance being identical?

rudy.

I purchased the DJ Williams jersey from EBay at a significantly lower price than NFL Auctions got for it. I was thinking of buying it when it was initially offered, but I thought paying over $700 was a little steep. At $369 on EBay, I thought it was a steal.

I don't think the high auction prices are limited to the NFL. I noticed a couple of years ago Suns retro jerseys on nba.com were bid way too high. The Steve Nash was over $3500 and MeiGray, at the time, had a Mavericks Nash for sale on their website for $1500. I would imagine the retro Suns was more desirable, but it certainly did not warrant a price differential of over $2,000.

In my opinion, the league websites, for the most part, draw a different type of consumer. Those of us who read and post on these boards are more knowledgeable about equipment than many of the people who might visit nfl.com or nba.com and run into an auction item that gets their attention. I think most of us have several different types of sellers that we trust and as a result, we are less inclined to spend more cash than we think is fair market value for a given item.

However, we are not the only group of consumers with the money to finance a collectible we desire. Maybe the guy that spent $3500+ on the retro Nash just brought junior to a game and junior saw the jersey while checking the NBA scores and told his dad that he really wanted that Nash jersey for Christmas. Maybe dad wasn't too aware of the different purchasing options that we're all aware of and bought it, knowing it would be real, since it came directly from the NBA.

I really think that a bargain is in the eye of the beholder. All this talk of whether someone overpaid for an item is really quite ridiculous, in my opinion. I know I have bought and sold items for a profit, as well as taking the occasional loss on something. The bottom line is I have never missed a mortgage payment as a result and have thoroughly enjoyed my experiences in this hobby. If I can find another item, like the Broncos DJ Williams jersey, that is resold by somebody at a loss, that's great. If I find something I REALLY want and have to overpay for it, that's great too. I'm just glad that I've been able to educate myself a little bit to be able to make better choices that might save me a buck, or two, in the long run.