Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

NFL Auctions Pricing Reaching Unreasonable Levels?

In the career thread I didn't see so many independently wealthy guys. Nevertheless, items on NFL Auctions I have an interest in (Chargers) are going crazy IMHO, and I know some collectors here have several LT game worn jerseys from NFL Auctions.

With a week to go the following prices are already in play:

LT GU Alternate Jersey: $4,900
    LT GU Throwback Helmet: $3,500
    Gates GU Home Jersey: $3,100

Is this where prices have been on these types of items? Am I going to be limited to collecting GU gloves, pants and shoes unless I hit the lottery?

Re: NFL Auctions Pricing Reaching Unreasonable Levels?

In my opinion, NFL auctions prices have always been way, way inflated on everything. I have never even been able to think about buying anything off of there. When you see guys like John Beck's jersey sell for over 4k (it may have been over 5k, I can't remember!), that's when I call it quits there!

I agree, the average Joe would never be able to afford items at these current price levels. I've suspected for a long time, that auction houses and even people affiliated with the player a bidding. IMO

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    I agree, the average Joe would never be able to afford items at these current price levels. I've suspected for a long time, that auction houses and even people affiliated with the player a bidding. IMO
    Really curious as to whether these prices are in line with recent prices for similar items or not. Seems high to me.

Red face Re: NFL Auctions Pricing Reaching Unreasonable Levels?

You are guys are right... if the winners ever tried to move these items on the secondary market, they'll be in for a big surprise. Over spending because you "Know it's real" isn't worth that much... I think a lot of these buyers are doctors and lawyers that have more money than sense and don't really know the items actual "value." The market will eventually bottom out and these items will start to be more realistic... it's just that the original buyers will lose a ton of money on their initial investments. Patience my friends...

Roger

Roger...

there are a lot of people that buy stuff for collecting, not purely for investment...these people couldn't really care less if the jersey that was purchased for $5,000 could only be re-sold for $3,000.00 on the secondary market today...

10 years from now, if the player has a solid career, and the original purchaser is bored with the item, I would be very suprised if they wouldn't be making up to 50% on their original purchase

I too have been in awe of some of the prices these jerseys are getting. I also totally agree with the members here that if these ever see the market again that the buyers are going to be in for a big shock at what the jerseys will bring. Again, if the bidders are not into reselling then it is no big deal to them. For the money that these buyers are spending they could very well purchase Hall of Fame jerseys that will hold their value much better in the long run. People really need to do their homework before spending that kind of money. But to each his own I guess.
    Scott

I agree with everyone's thoughts. Although, I think that the individuals bidding are not concerned with the monetary value of these auction items. I believe these bidders are either wealthy individuals (where spending this kind of cash is not a financial concern) OR auction houses/associates. In a way it's very disappointing, for me, the average individual. Spending this kind of cash on one of these auction items would rival an entire year of my GU budget. Is this what it has come to? At these rates, I can look forward to buying LT's right sock for $800! This is sad, and I'm waiting for the day it carries over to MLB auctions and NBA auctions alike. Once again, the little man loses.

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now.

If the auctions are for charity, that might account for some of the higher pricing. In charity auctions, people who can afford it often over bid as it's a donation.