Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
    Banned

Gates Ebay Jersey

There is a Gates Jersey on EBay from Historic with customary and of course useless Lampson LOA I'd be interested in opinions on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antonio-Gates-Ga...QQcmdZViewItem

My eye for detail isn't great but in comparing this 2004 to Getty Images 51363424 the tail looks longer than that particular photo. Anyone have an opinion on this one?

Banned

Re: Gates Ebay Jersey

No one? Eric?

Discounting the source and Lampson, the jersey looks good against photos, but don't know about tail/size/length...

Quote Originally Posted by mvandor View Post
    Discounting the source and Lampson...
    That's a statement.
    Anyway, the one the NFL just sold is a 48, so it's entirely possible that he could have worn a 50 in 2004.

The 2006 throwback which I bought here in the GUU auction was a size 50 and seems to be the same length of the Historic Auctions one, but the sleeves are different

I have a 2004 in my collection which I purchased from B & E Collectibles which is a size 48 and has a different cut in the length and the sleeves.

His sleeves in '04 looked pretty snug

In the Historic Auctions jersey according to Lampson, sleeve numbers and nameplate have been replaced "by the team." Might be worth emailing Historic Auctions and having them ask Lampson how he knows it was done by the team. Also it would be interesting to know how he ended up at a grade of 6. Where in Lampson's opinion does the jersey lose points?

The big question for me would be source, sleeves and questioning why the nameplate and sleeve numbers were replaced. Obviously, make your own decision. I'm interested in what you think...
    Eric
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Banned

E-mailed Historic. I don't see the sleeves being so different or the cut from your one jersey, but I'm uneasy about Lampson, the 6 grade and the shoulder numbers story. All seem red flags, as is the lack of bidding interest.

Look at the amount of fabric past the sleeve numbers. Big difference, no?

Banned

True, but I see some Getty pics from 2004 where there's more material there than your b&e for example, closer to this one (see 51879972
    19 Dec 2004 on Getty).

Reason to move the numbers on the sleeves? So sleeves can be cut shorter?

That photo you referenced shows a lot less sleeve material than the Historic Auctions Gates

Banned

Gone for $600+ - a far cry from the $3,500 on NFL Auctions.

Historic said they'd ask LL but that they wouldn't have a response before auction close...