Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any opinions on this.......

I know these pictures are not of a great quality but this is what was emailed to me. Any opinions on this game used jersey.

Re: Any opinions on this.......

so no input?????

If I remember this correctly the sleeve patch should indicate this was a 1993 jersey. In 1993 Ryan had his game jerseys tagged (front/bottom) with the corresponding game number it was worn (see attached photo). Although the buttons appear correct along with the lettering and collar tag I would be concerned about the missing set tag.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The signature is okay. The jersey is retail as Goodman never made jerseys for the team after 1980.
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

hey rob,

ryan was known to deviate from the ranger's stock and use jerseys from goodman almost exclusively. during 92 and 93, the rangers wore russell, yet you'll be hardpressed to find a single photo of ryan wearing a jersey with an "R" on the sleeve. while the rest of his teammates wore rawlings and russell, nolan stayed loyal to goodman. those looking for a ryan rangers gamer are best served looking for a goodman.

in regards to this particular jersey, i'd pay attention to the nob font. not that it matters much but it's missing the HEC memorial that the rangers wore late in the season.

rudy.

Rudy . . . what are your concerns with the NOB font?

Here are some Ryan photos for you to consider. They show him wearing Rawlings jerseys. Some of the photos may be from spring training, I'm not sure. The final photo is one that I found on Getty this morning, and Getty attributes the photo to March 10, 1992: "Nolan Ryan of the Texas Rangers throws a pitch during a game against the Chicago White Sox at Comiskey Park in Chicago, Illinios." This is not an exhaustive set of photos of Ryan wearing Rawlings, just a sample.

I have never seen a photo of Ryan wearing a jersey with the Russell "R" on the sleeve.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

This has been debated (Goodman vs Rawlings/Russell). The majority of opinions have been that when Ryan pitched he wore Goodman. I've seen photos of him wearing other brands in spring training and non pitching days. In one of his biographies he shared that he preferred the feel of Goodman jerseys going back to his days with the California Angels. Another point is the number of "Scoreboard" jerseys out there from his Rangers era that have year tagging. I believe most would agree that these were promotional and never worn by the Strikeout King. I personally would never touch a Rawlings/Russell Ryan jersey . . . my opinion.

There's a Ryan Web site that provides more information on this (see fifth question on game used): http://www.nolanryan.net/index7.htm

so do you guys think this is a legit game used or are there too many errors?

Great info guys. I stand corrected.
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com