Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Re: 1994 Bills Throwback Question

Quote Originally Posted by gobills123 View Post
    ya, seriously great stuff guys - both of you!

The very last thing I'd like to ask you guys (and i assume it just got lost in my barrage of questions)....

Were numbers done in house for your respective teams? I know the bears used champion and I think the Falcons did too (91ish?)
    Bears were sewn so it might be different. But I'd think to keep the 'champion font' correct and consistent the jerseys would come already numbered.
    I don't know if the Falcons did the numbers in-house. They used Russell from 1975 through 1996 with the exception of the 1991 season when they used Champion and the 1990 pre-season when they wore black Champion jerseys before going back to Russell for the regular season. The #81 jersey below is from the 1990 pre-season, and the #85 jersey is from the 1991 regular season (tail was hemmed, so the tags are missing).

To confuse matters a bit, in the 1990 pre-season, several players wore the same number in the early preseason due to the size of the roster. Where players wore the same number, it appears that one wore Champion and the other wore Russell. I stumbled onto this when I wound up with a Russell jersey of #73-Oliver Barnett that showed game use. He and offensive lineman Reggie Redding both wore #73 in the preseason. Barnett ended up wearing #72 in the regular season while #73 was assigned to Redding who ended up not dressing for a regular season game until the following season. Ironically, at one point I also had a white jersey assigned to Redding for the 1990 regular season.

On a side note, the Falcons names were always sewn onto the plate dating back to 1970 (when names were first placed on the back of their jerseys) except for the above mentioned Champion jerseys.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

I AM BEGGING FOR YOUR WORLD FOOTBALL LEAGUE UNIFORMS!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Good looking jerseys!!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Excellent Falcons info too, and what a great time back then. Just all these little things like you mentioned keep you on your toes and provide other things to hunt and learn. There isnt much of that now days with Nike and all lol.

If you dont know, I'm not sure I'll ever find out. At some point I'd imagine things went away from the local sports store as it was back in the day.

As I said, coming pre #'d would make sense and explain some things but conversely, if thats the case, then it would also greatly expand whats considered 'team' issued.

Regardless, your falcons post provides the icing on the cake to this thread and i appreciate it.
    There is very little to none as far as info on Bills throwbacks are concerned and googling brings one here. Hopefully the info you guys posted will help the next person trying to learn and understand how it worked with the Bills and other teams. Weird stuff.... but SUPER fun!!!

Hello, for quite a few years now I have been admiring many of you guys' collections and soaking up info when I can but other than a handful of exceptions, I mostly stick to retail authentics and team issued jerseys so I can rarely contribute.

However, in this case, I thought some of you may be interested in seeing my '94 Bears jersey after reading Samets' very informative posts early in this thread.
    This is a Shaun Gayle I acquired from the parents of Shaun's long term girlfriend, Rhoni, (you may be familiar with that unfortunate story) that he had given to them.
    Although the sleeves suggest it was not meant for use on field, the extra length and correct font seem to also rule it out as being the kind sold at retail according to the 2nd page of the thread.

Name:  gayle f.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  82.2 KB
    Name:  gayle b.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  75.0 KB

Although the Steelers '94 TBTC is a grail of mine (seemingly unattainable, please help), I always loved the look and construction of the Bears jerseys from that season.
    That, combined with the fact that Walter Payton and the '85 team made me fall in love with football and Gayle being the only member of that defense still in CHI in '94 makes this one of my favorites.
    I'm already excited to see what teams pull out of the archives for the 2019 100th ann. season.

I also had a question regarding the '91 Falcons Champion jerseys.
    Were the identifiers screen printed or heat pressed?
    I thought screened but saw a Favre rookie (GF auction, I believe) that said vinyl was used.

Mark? Anyone?

sixburgh,

You have the Pro Shop model. As you pointed out, the sleeves do not have the elastic band added and the chest numbers look too small for a gamer.

Never-the-less, it's the first Gale throwback I've personally seen!
    It's still a nice jersey and cost more than any other retail out there.

I hope you don't mind me stealing your pic for my personal files...

Thanks, Samets

Sure, feel free to copy the pics, happy to contribute.

At first, I believed the font to be the same as a gamer but now that I review the pics again I suppose they are not.

However, it has the 'EXTRA LENGTH '+4"' tag inside that I've never seen on any of my retail Champions.
    The 'C' on the sleeves are also the larger gamer version too, embroidered in I believe, rather than the smaller logo with the royal border and sewn on that is seen on retails.

Obviously, you are far more knowledgeable on the subject than I am but my theory is, because of those details and considering it came directly from Gayle, that the jersey itself may have been sourced from the locker room and the customization done at the Pro Shop, making it a hybrid of sorts?

Btw, did you see the Conway on eBay listed for 40K?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1994-C...4383.l4275.c10

sixburgh,

Here's my take on these jerseys from a previous post:

Quote Originally Posted by Samets View Post
    ...Champion jerseys were only available through mail order or teams pro shop. I'm not sure how this whole thing worked but there are jerseys of players with straight sleeves (more retail and casual wear or QB cut at the time) and some that are cuffed correctly (game wear for most players). Maybe they had multiple tiers? Maybe these were team blank leftovers and you bought based on size you wanted and received whatever they had left? I don't know...

As you can imagine, the devil is in the detail. For whatever reason, the numbers done by the pro shop (mail order/retail) seem to be slightly off sized and placed differently then what the team seamstress did...
    You own a team issued jersey owned by the team that was a blank. Pro Shop customized it within 98% of what the team seamstress would have made.

The differences are minor but consistent. Can you actually do me a favor...
    Can you take a nice photo of the 75th anniversary patch and post it...

I don't own any issued throwbacks but want to see something... I'll share my conclusion obviously...

Here you go, the biggest size I could attach...
    Name:  gayle tag (2) 50.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  729.9 KB

Here is the inside tag, I was actually mistaken about the extra length, there is just what looks like a 'B' written.
    I think the small number and vertical stripes make it look longer and I must have seen the '+4"' on one of my NBA Champion jerseys.
    This is one of the first jerseys I bought when I started truly collecting about 10 years ago and forgot/confused some details.
    Name:  gayle tag (1) 50.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  258.2 KB

So if the only difference is the "C" on the sleeve maybe it is just a Pro Shop jersey, my apologies.

Also, just to be clear I wasn't challenging your knowledge at all. I'm only trying to learn. I'd hate to think my first posts were rubbing a long time member the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by sixburgh View Post

I also had a question regarding the '91 Falcons Champion jerseys.
    Were the identifiers screen printed or heat pressed?
    I thought screened but saw a Favre rookie (GF auction, I believe) that said vinyl was used.

Mark? Anyone?
    I am not quite clear on the description that "vinyl was used". The Falcons numbers and lettering on the Champion jerseys they wore in 1991 (also wore black Champion jerseys in the 1990 preseason) are what I typically describe as being screened-on like most Champion jerseys of that era. Hope that helps.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

I AM BEGGING FOR YOUR WORLD FOOTBALL LEAGUE UNIFORMS!!!

Thanks

Most jerseys are screen printed, a process where actual ink and a stencil is used like in the pic below...
    Name:  threadbird-screen-printing-process-1-f739c1d4d5945d22f332644e8017dae5.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  65.0 KB

Depending on the technique, this can result in small holes left in numbers or not, even before use, sometimes only in certain areas as I'm sure you have noticed on jerseys before.
    Name:  bills screen.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  96.0 KB
    The ink will also bleed through the mesh and can be seen from the inside of the jersey.

Heat pressed vinyl identifiers are just that, cut out vinyl numbers/letters applied with heat, basically ironed on.
    The '80s & '90s Rams, as well as the early '80s 49er jerseys, appear to have done this, often resulting in a glossy look.
    Name:  rams close.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  164.2 KB
    Name:  bruce rams.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  231.3 KB
    Name:  49ers vinyl.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  156.8 KB

Here is actually a perfect example on this Bears jersey (not an original Wilson but a '90s reproduction made at the Sand-Knit/Ripon factory btw) as it shows both methods, with the stripes being screen printed and the letters vinyl pressed.
    Name:  bears sleeve.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  44.3 KB
    You can see here from the inside only the screen printing is visible due to it having been applied in a liquid form and seeping through the holes in the mesh.
    Name:  bears sleeve inside.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  173.3 KB

Thanks for the pics.

As I suspected it's a 100% legit jersey. The reason I asked to see the patch is because there's a hidden message on it. Many of the non team issued jerseys are missing the hidden feature.

If you look at the base of the 7 you will see 3 letters: HAY That's a nod to Ralph Hay who is credited with the creation of NFL.