Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Jersey protection?

I was wondering how members protect their game worn jerseys? If you display them on mannequins, do you rotate or put them away after so long? My wife says to not put plastic over them such as the dry cleaners covers. I am just throwing it out there to see how you guys think? By the way, I realize framing with UV glass is an option, but I prefer my jerseys not framed.
    Scott

Re: Jersey protection?

just curious about the dry cleaner bags. why not store them in those? Very curious as I have many of mine stored this way.
    Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !

Quote Originally Posted by scottanservitz View Post
    My wife says to not put plastic over them such as the dry cleaners covers.
    Scott
    Why does she say this?

Banned

To protect from fading of colors and signatures, if any, I don't see how you can avoid placing any collectible in UV protected cases of some sort.

I really don't know why she says this, but everytime I say I am going to get some dry cleaning bags she says not to. I am guessing because of mold and or moisture being held in the bags over long periods of time. I will ask when she gets home. Until then, any other suggestions? I want to enjoy them and not put them in a box and not get to look at them.
    Scott

Ok, my wife just returned. I asked her about the plastic bags from the dry cleaners and she told me she read somewhere that you are supposed to remove your garments from those and put into cloth garment bags. They do make the plastic garment bags, but supposedly cloth is better. This is all about the breathing of the material and not holding in moisture she assumed. Not very scientific evidence, but it makes sense.
    Scott

So keep the jersey on the mannequin and place the plastic bag over it, leaving the bottom open, so air can get in/out. That's what I do.

I don't know about jerseys, but I had a fancy shmancy leather jacket in the closet, inside a plastic bag and it was almost like the adhesive started to liquify and run, where second layers of leather were sewn on. That was the last time I put anything in a plastic bag.

I've got some game jerseys and some M&N and I just display them in the open. Actually just ordered one of those mannequins. If I can't display it, I see no point in owning it.

Quote Originally Posted by TFig27 View Post
    So keep the jersey on the mannequin and place the plastic bag over it, leaving the bottom open, so air can get in/out. That's what I do.

Same here, never had a problem. My one jersey has been in this plastic since 1986.

Tom,
    I would think that would be ok. I was looking to do the same. Obviously it would take quite a bit of moisture over a prolonged period of time to have mold/mildew start to set in. I would think a dehumidifier run periodically would help too. But in a nutshell, we need to see our jerseys to appreciate them!
    Scott