Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Are pitcher's bats rare?

Hello all,

I just wanted to tap into your heads to get some input on pitchers bats. Because a pitcher rarely hits, are their bats harder to find? I mean take (for example) an NL pitcher who gets moved to the AL. He may never see an at-bat for the whole season. He may never order a bat for himself. Would that make pitchers bats a better buy than a position player?

Re: Are pitcher's bats rare?

I think some pitchers bats are more rare than postion players. Some pitchers though seem to have a lot of bats out there. For example Tom Glavine, Pedro Martinez, I have seen several Mariano Riveras. It seems to me that most bullpen guys bat are more rare than starters (which makes sense). As far as more valuable, I dont see that they bring much more if any than postion players.

thanks
    Jason
    stlbats@bellsouth.net

.... I'd say those pitcher bats are definitely harder to find.Case in point,I was working on getting 1 game used bat for each Phillie who started the 1st game my older daughter ever went to.The hold up?Jon Lieber,who was still tough to find despite a mostly NL career.
    ....Now I'm attempting the same project for my younger daughter's first game.The starting pitcher?Jamie Moyer.I've seen one Moyer bat the last year,and it was an early Cubs model.I know he was mostly an AL guy,but should've still had some post season Mariners bats you'd think would've seen light of day.Anyway,here's hoping the Phils make some available at CBP this season.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...always looking for game-used JASON GIAMBI equipment!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stlbats View Post
    I think some pitchers bats are more rare than postion players. Some pitchers though seem to have a lot of bats out there. For example Tom Glavine, Pedro Martinez, I have seen several Mariano Riveras. It seems to me that most bullpen guys bat are more rare than starters (which makes sense). As far as more valuable, I dont see that they bring much more if any than postion players.

thanks
    Jason
    stlbats@bellsouth.net
    I personally specially collect pitchers bats especially AL due to the fact of rarity so I amy be some help here.

Pitchers bats are normally harder to find including NL because they do not order/use as many as position players.

NL Pitchers you will find more of because they for obvious reasons get more at bats. But they are still more rare than a postion player because they don't get up to bat as much as a position player.

AL league pitchers are the hardest since they hardly ever get an at bat unless its an interleague game.

The hardest of both is relief pitchers due to they even have the least likely chance of ever getting up to bat especially in the AL because by the time its the relief pitchers turn they usually sub in a pinch hitter for him.

Mariano Used bats stay away from, I only say this from the knowledge given to me of a direct source of the Yankees - Mariano only had one regular season at bat in his whole career and he used a Jeter bat not even his own bat.

I own to the best of my knowledge the only Used Mariano bat and it was used by Enrique Wilson.

I also own Jon Leiber's to the best of my knowledge only game used bat from the Yankees - he had only 1 at bat with them. I bought the bat shortly after the game.

Also remember Pitchers bats are 50/50 which makes them more rare, What I mean is that pitchers half the time don't order bats and will use another players bat on the team. So half the pitchers don't even have there own bat.

I also own a Yankees Game Used David Wells bat (Ricky Ledee Model)

Hope this helps!!!

From my bat collecting experience, pitchers bats are hard enough to find, but a relief pitcher's bat is just plain difficult to obtain. Then the problem is compounded, if you only collect one team as I do. I sometimes wonder if some relief pitchers just use a team model bat?? To the Jamie Moyer collector, I happen to have one of his Cardinal bats from his 1991 year with St Louis. He only appeared in eight games, with eight AB's and no hits. How many Cardinal bats did he have, couldn't be many?? I have never seen another one and have had this one since 1997. So here is an example of collecting a bat from a relief pitcher that played with a particular team for one year with the above stats....Not an easy find............

Don
    woodbat@bellsouth.net
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I only have one pitcher's bat, a 77-79 LVS Tom Underwood.

From the records I've obtained, he only ordered 12 of these total. I guess that makes them fairly rare, since he played for the Phils and Cards in that time period and then moved onto the AL.

Jim

Here are pics of my only pitchers bat:

I don't think pitchers (starters or relievers) have a shortage of bats made for them these days. Check out this photo from 2007 as the equipment is loaded into the trucks for transport to spring training from Shea. No. 48 is Mets reliever Aaron Heilman and No. 29 is Mets reliever Jorge Sosa.

I think considering the number of ABs the relievers get you will have hard time finding a gamer of a relief pitcher with legit game use.

You most likely find more bats from a starting pitchers with use.

Now bear in mind I'm referring the present (last few years or so)

Finding pitchers bats from the 70s, 80s will be more difficult to find.

It took me 14 years to find a Randy Neimann and Rick Anderson game used bat from the 80s. I personally believe I have the only two out there.

David
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    I don't think pitchers (starters or relievers) have a shortage of bats made for them these days. Check out this photo from 2007 as the equipment is loaded into the trucks for transport to spring training from Shea. No. 48 is Mets reliever Aaron Heilman and No. 29 is Mets reliever Jorge Sosa.

I think considering the number of ABs the relievers get you will have hard time finding a gamer of a relief pitcher with legit game use.

You most likely find more bats from a starting pitchers with use.

Now bear in mind I'm referring the present (last few years or so)

Finding pitchers bats from the 70s, 80s will be more difficult to find.

It took me 14 years to find a Randy Neimann and Rick Anderson game used bat from the 80s. I personally believe I have the only two out there.

David
    How rare is a Mr. Met bat?

Quote Originally Posted by TFig27 View Post
    How rare is a Mr. Met bat?

I'd have to say rarer than a pitcher's bat