Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Ebay Boycott Starts Today - Join In

Quote Originally Posted by sammy View Post
    Suave and 34sw:

You are both misinformed and under the wrong impression. This is not "my" boycott, but one I simply decided to join after I found out about it. If you would read some different message boards beside the GUF board, perhaps you would have known about this weeks ago when the boycott actually started getting organized.

I included two links from other boards where this was discussed in an earlier posting. As you may see, this started in January, not the day before it officially began.

My initial posting on here was to inform others that may not have been aware of this, not to organize a boycott.

Perhaps this boycott will not change a thing. Then again, perhaps it will have eBay reconsider their ill conceived feedback policy change.

If people quit buying and selling on eBay for a week, they will feel it eventually. Even if it is just one week every month or two.

Their revenue has already been decreasing, that is why they instituted these policy changes. If it decreases more because of these boycotts, perhaps they will revise the one policy change that most people are in disagreement with. That being the unequal playing field in regard to negative feedback.

If you never try, you will never achieve. You can accept things as other people dictate to you, or you can say "enough" and try to change the circumstances.

Every journey starts with a single step.

This boycott is the first step.
    I am not saying you directly Sammy were organizing the boycott as far as looking at other forums, I do from time to time but really have no interest too. As far as it havinf ebay reconsider or changing something IT WONT. Again your sailing to realize the absolute no impact /effect you will have towards ebay. Ebay is a million dollar a day businessthat's 7 million over a week span and your trying to hurt them by taking a loss of $1,000 to if your lucky $10,000 dollars once a month.
    Dude the owner of ebay spens that for his triple cotton sheeted with pink flower toilet paper made by Ralph Lauren.

You say its a first step, no its not. It is pissing in the wind as another member said earlier.
    Making a first step is when you can ORGANIZE a real boycott. Not send out over a few forums "Hey Everyone were gonna boycott on XYZ date"
    So if we didn't hear about it here sooner tells me its not that serious. If I was organizing a Boycott I would take time to find and locate every possible Hobby site/forum. Try to get directly in touch with people and make them aware of whats going on set up a possible website of what would be going on. Send out a spam email to people to try to attract others outside of the Hobby Industry.

I didn't see any tacttic at all then getting a word a mouth from you/sammy the daybefore the whole thing.

I am not putting any of this on you I am just saying what the person who is organizng this should have done to even become a bite on an elephants a$$ because at this point it is not even going to be a bite.

Simple math
    Lets sat at most you cause them to lose $10,000 a month
    They make around 28 mil a month

I dont think I need to go any further.

Banned

Well, accept what others dictate to you.

I don't lay down that easy.

Just wanted to throw into this argument the fact that ebay is holding a pretty big trump card...

If an organized boycott causes ebay to lose a small percentage of their fees for a given week, all they will need to do is send a broadcast out to sellers for a "20 cent listing day" or similar promotion, and the items for sale will be back on their site in droves.

For example, I run a daily search on specific game used items, which normally yields about 400-500 results. Last week, ebay ran a 20 cent listing promotion, and everyone came out of the woodwork to list their items. One day later, that same search yielded 750 items. Sure, they were listed at lower prices, but should a great number of them sell, ebay will rake it in with the final value fees.

You simply cannot compete with this kind of a move with a boycott. Let's just say for instance the boycott wipes out 10% of this category for the week. The ebay trump card will squash it tenfold.

No one forces you to buy or sell on eBay. If you are unhappy with them as a company, just stop doing business with them. One week will not do it.

I think they should offer free listings this week. That would be fun.

The only true way to take on eBay is to open or patronize another online auction site. Unfortunately, others have done exactly that, with very little success. Right here in Grants Pass, Oregon is a company called OnlineAuction.com. They were created a few years ago to do internet auctions the "right" way, and have a nice building and a few employees here in town.

But, even after five years or so, you can go to OnlineAuction.com and see that they are no threat to eBay whatsoever. I went there just now and typed in the keyword "USFL." Two auctions showed up. I typed in "used jersey" and got 32 auctions.

When all is said and done, where are sellers listing their items? eBay! Sellers list items on eBay because that's where their items get viewed and bid upon. Sure, if you list a $100 item on another site for a starting bid of $10, you'll probably get a bite. But where are the others who will bid the price higher? You have to be an insane seller to list a free-market item on a small auction site.

Hey sport,

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

"Hey sport" yourself, "chum".

That being said, if nothing is to be gained I prefer to venture nothing.

Crazy realistic me.

Enjoy your boycott.

Banned

How do all of you pessimistic people spouting all your negativity get anywhere in life? Then again, maybe this is your life.

Some concerned individuals are at least trying to right a perceived wrong and negativity is what most of you post.

Have a piece of cheese to go with your whine.

Banned

Sammy nooooooooo this is your life your the one who is whining none of us are complaining.

I am sure some, if not most, of us would be involved with a REAL boycott that was going to make some progress.

But basically making a pretend boycott that NO ONE WILL HEAR - WILL GET YOU NOTHING.

ITS LIKE YOUR TRYING TO SHOVEL SNOW UPHILL AND IT KEEPS FALLING BACK DOWN AND YOU THINK YOUR DOING SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE BECAUSE YOUR SHOVELING.

IF YOU REALLY WANTED TO MAKE HEADWAY GET A PLOW TO PUSH THE SNOW TO THE SIDE INSTEAD OF JUST PUSHING IT IN FRONT OF YOU TO JUST WATCH IT ROLL BACK DOWN.

Banned

Suave,

Being as you have 2160 posts, and basically comment on everything and anything, I would venture that this is YOUR life.

One person may only be a shovel, but many would make that plow your refer to. Guess you and many others would prefer to be just more snow getting in the way.

Perhaps in the future, if you get an undeserved negative and there isn't anything you can do, just sit back and go BAAAAAAAAA.

Last post from me on this subject.

Wishing all of you the best!

Suave,

Being as you have 2160 posts, and basically comment on everything and anything, I would venture that this is YOUR life.

One person may only be a shovel, but many would make that plow your refer to. Guess you and many others would prefer to be just more snow getting in the way.

Perhaps in the future, if you get an undeserved negative and there isn't anything you can do, just sit back and go BAAAAAAAAA.

Last post from me on this subject.

Wishing all of you the best!
    If you do the type of business where this price increase would affect you, one negative will not tarnish your feedback rating.

Think of stores like Walmart. Do you think they have a 99% or 98% customer approval?

I think they sell snow shovels there too.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAA