Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mark Grace Hall of Fame 2009???????

With all the steriod junkies out there it would be nice to see a pure hitter like Grace get into Cooperstown. He has over 2400 hits, a lifetime average of .303 and the most hits during the 90's
    What are his chances?

Re: Mark Grace Hall of Fame 2009???????

I love Grace. He was credit to the game as a player and he continues to be an ambassador to the game as a broadcaster and personality. He was a very, very good player, both offensively and defensively and was a leader on the 2001 world champion Diamondbacks team. Prior to that, he established himself as an all time Cubs great.

With all that said, Grace doesn't have a shot. He didn't hit for power and while he put up some good numbers, he was never a dominant player. When I think of a Hall of Fame type player, I think of a guy who dominated his position over a period of 5-10 years. I think milestones are somewhat overrated, that's why I am a big believer that a player like Jim Rice deserves enshrinement. He was the most feared hitter in the American League for a significant portion of his career.

Grace, on the other hand, was never considered the best player at his position. He was good, but that shouldn't get you into the Hall. Maybe in time, as he continues to work within baseball, he will get some consideration for overall contributions to the game. I'd like to see that happen. But, as a player, he falls short as a HOFer.

Mark Grace is a HOFer on the same day as I am a bikini model.

Me in a two piece?!?!
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

I'd love for Gracie to make it so that I could start off a nice HOF collection with this gamer....

I'm not campaigning for Grace, as I don't think he'll ever make the HOF. He wasn't flashy, but he was a rock solid player both offensively and defensively. It's difficult to dismiss the fact that he collected more hits during the decade of the 1990's than any other player.
    Rob Steinmetz
    www.authenticgamers.com
    authenticgamers@aol.com

Paying top dollar for Chicago Cubs game used equipment!

Banned

I really liked Mark Grace a lot. Another real classy guy. But, he has no chance. If you put him in, you have to put someone like John Olerud in as well.

I put Mark Grace in the same category as Luis Gonzales and John Olerud.

A very solid, professional player with some great years who will always be remembered as such. Can't say a bad word about Gracie's baseball career - he played to the best of his ability...which unfortunately was just shy of having enough hits to be considered as a HOF player.

He was a throwback player, and I wished for the longest time that we had him as a Cardinal. He was also funny in Mr. Destiny - Jim Belushi attacked him and blamed him for the '84 season..."I wasn't even on that team!"

Dave
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

BigTruck are you sure Mark Grace was in Mr Destiny? I don't remember that part. I remember he hit the home run Belushi caught in the movie Taking care of Business.

Banned

You're right suave, he was only in taking care of business. Along with Joe Torre and Bert Blyleven. Looks like its time to rent a movie!!

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    BigTruck are you sure Mark Grace was in Mr Destiny? I don't remember that part. I remember he hit the home run Belushi caught in the movie Taking care of Business.
    Taking Care of Biz - THAT'S IT. Thanks for correcting me Jason.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]