Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: What's the greatest item you've ever seen for sale/at auction?

Quote Originally Posted by tjm5711 View Post
    What does "+1" mean ?
    +1 is internet shorthand. It means that you agree with whatever was said previously or what you quote from a previous post.

For example, If I said that I like the Yankees and you like the Yankees too, you could quote my post and say +1

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    +1 is internet shorthand. It means that you agree with whatever was said previously or what you quote from a previous post.

For example, If I said that I like the Yankees and you like the Yankees too, you could quote my post and say +1
    Ok, thanks, I figured it was something positive at least. And it literally was. lol

IRONMANFAN-Seriously,man i am pissed i missed that.I was told that series 30 for 30 did a good show about him.But i forgot to watch it.I would have loved to have heard what the owner got for it.And the story behind it.And who ended up getting it.As me and my brother assummed a auction house would buy that for themselves.Would you have bought something like that? I know it sounds morbid but if i had the money i would have.
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    I remember that..In fact in the the ESPN "30 for 30" series, there is a documentary about Bias and they actually interview the Liquor Store owner and show the signed receipt.

Hey tjm-I am with you as i don't speak "text".I guess i am old school.Because if i agree with someone i just say i agree with you.I know,thats a great story grandpa.Now what does "lol" mean? Just kidding.Or should i just type "j/k".
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm5711 View Post
    Ok, thanks, I figured it was something positive at least. And it literally was. lol

Rudy,

I couldn't respond when you posted this thread, but one item immediately popped into my head when I read this.

A few years back, there was a discovery in the hobby that I was really excited about.

For years, no one knew what the fait was of the jersey Roger Maris wore when he broke Babe Ruth's 60 home runs in a season record in '61. The few '61 jerseys known of Roger's had been checked over and over but none matched any of the ample photographs of the occasion. Remember, there were tons of pictures taken of Roger Maris hitting the home run, rounding the bases, celebrating on the field, in the locker room, etc.

Then one day, a collector who happened to have a 1960 Maris jersey decided it was time to part with it. Long story short, the sleeves appeared "short", kind of like the ones on the jersey Maris was wearing when he hit the monstrously historic 61st homer. After comtemplating the possibilities, subsequent photo checks produced an exact match. The jersey Roger Maris was wearing the day he hit that famous bomb in 1961 was in fact a 1960 jersey held over to the next year as a "back-up" jersey, an "extra" so to speak, by the equipment manager.

That always struck me as being one of the greatest finds in our hobby, and one of the greatest items I have ever seen in auction. If I recall correctly, it sold somewhere in the mid $300,000's before the buyers juice was added. Nice discovery.

Back at a 2007 auction at Shea Stadium they had a GU Lastings Milledge "Los Mets" jersey with a huge grass stain on it. The opening bid was a fortune because it was back when he still had potential. I have no idea if or how much it sold for, lucky me walked away with a Guillermo Mota half zip jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    Rudy,

I couldn't respond when you posted this thread, but one item immediately popped into my head when I read this.

A few years back, there was a discovery in the hobby that I was really excited about.

For years, no one knew what the fait was of the jersey Roger Maris wore when he broke Babe Ruth's 60 home runs in a season record in '61. The few '61 jerseys known of Roger's had been checked over and over but none matched any of the ample photographs of the occasion. Remember, there were tons of pictures taken of Roger Maris hitting the home run, rounding the bases, celebrating on the field, in the locker room, etc.

Then one day, a collector who happened to have a 1960 Maris jersey decided it was time to part with it. Long story short, the sleeves appeared "short", kind of like the ones on the jersey Maris was wearing when he hit the monstrously historic 61st homer. After comtemplating the possibilities, subsequent photo checks produced an exact match. The jersey Roger Maris was wearing the day he hit that famous bomb in 1961 was in fact a 1960 jersey held over to the next year as a "back-up" jersey, an "extra" so to speak, by the equipment manager.

That always struck me as being one of the greatest finds in our hobby, and one of the greatest items I have ever seen in auction. If I recall correctly, it sold somewhere in the mid $300,000's before the buyers juice was added. Nice discovery.
    good memory. here it is online. easier to read if you have the book smithsonian baseball.

http://books.google.com/books?id=_ZZ...age&q=&f=false
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post

Joel and Steve -

I'll have to look - and I'll scan the pages if I remember it right - but I believe the 'collector' they were referring to in the Smithsonian article is the late Barry Halper. I have the Auction Catalogs from the Halper Collection Auction and if memory serves, I believe Barry actually owned that Maris jersey for a time.

I'll check and get back to you.

- Chris

I would say for the biggest item to go up for sale was the jersey Lou Gehrig used during his famous speech.

Banned

Shoeless Joe Jackson's game used black Betsy bat. It has since made its way to Ebay where it was for sale for a small fortune by Mitchell Marketing the Philly company that used to have Ryan Howard's exclusive autograph rights.