What's the greatest item you've ever seen for sale/at auction?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingjammy24
    • Nov 2005

What's the greatest item you've ever seen for sale/at auction?

what's the greatest item you've ever seen for sale/at auction? i mean it in a purely subjective sense. ie: it was the greatest to you personally. i don't intend for this to be a discussion of the highest dollar item ever or objectively the rarest. post pics if possible!

for me, it's hard to decide but the one that keeps coming up is a 1993 World Series game-used Rickey Henderson jersey with custom-hemmed front tail. i'll post pics of it later tonight.

i look forward to seeing others "greatest items ever".

rudy.
  • eGameUsed
    Banned
    • Jan 2006

Re: What's the greatest item you've ever seen for sale/at auction?

Rudy,

Here is a recent item I was very interested in. I knew it would go high, but dropped out of the bidding once it crossed the 5 figure mark. This is most "complete" 1962 Colt .45s Home "Smoking Pistol" Flannel I have ever seen. Just sold at AMI for $17,915 + BP.

I even saw this jersey right before Christmas at the Finger's Furniture Store display in Houston, right on top of the site of the old Buff Stadium. As a side note, if ever in Houston, go to the Fingers on I-45 South near the University of Houston, just south of downtown and Minute Maid Park. They have on display some of the most historic game used Houston Sports items around.

Thanks,

Comment

• otismalibu
      • Nov 2005

The first one was Bernie Parent's 2 logo mask from the 73-74 season...when the Flyers won their first cup. As a kid, I worshiped Bernie and the Flyers. Any old school superstar fiberglass mask would rank as amazing in my books, but this one is at the top for me. I'd love to know who has his 3 logo mask he wore the following year when they repeated.

And as an Erving fan, the ABA NY Nets jersey that GFC sold was the oldest Dr. J. jersey I've ever seen for sale/auctioned. I guess only a Squires jersey could top that.

Circa 1973-74 Julius "Dr. J" Erving New York Nets ABA Game-Used Home JerseyErving began his professional career in the
      Greg
      DrJStuff.com

Comment

• RobSteinmetz
        • Jan 1970

For me, it would have to be the trophy given to Ernie Banks when he hit his 500th home run, or maybe his personal Hall of Fame plaque. Both items were sold about 15 years ago at the National Convention auction, along with a treasure trove of other Banks personal momentos. I was just starting college at the time, and couldn't afford a thing. The trophy is now in the collection of Ron Leff, and is featured in the Smithsonian Baseball book. A guy can dream...
        Rob Steinmetz
        www.authenticgamers.com
        authenticgamers@aol.com

Paying top dollar for Chicago Cubs game used equipment!

Comment

• 5kRunner
          • Aug 2007

Being an Andre Dawson fan I would have loved to have a shot at this Silver Slugger Award. Even thought its from 1980 when he played for the Expos. Too bad it was WAY out of my league.

SCOTT
          scottjrepking at gmail.com

Always looking for game used bats from Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Jody Davis, Shawon Dunston, Jerome Walton, Rick Sutcliffe, and Greg Maddux. Preferably CUBS era bats.
          sigpic

Comment

• bigtruck260
            • Sep 2007

1927/28 Jim Bottomley jersey - bidding ended around $40,000 at Robert Edward. If I had $40 grand, I would have blown the whole load.
            Attached Files
            Dave
            Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
            River City Redbird Authentics
            http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• RKGIBSON
              • Mar 2006

Grey Flannel had a Jim Brown jersey in the late 90's. I wish I could own a real Jim Brown Helmet or jersey.

Roger

Comment

• RKGIBSON
                • Mar 2006

Baseball, Grey flannel had a great Ken Boyer jersey several years back.

Roger

Comment

• jwasserman
                  • Feb 2006

id have love to have owned this for my gooden collection. no idea why he parted with it

http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g2...n/game%20used/
                  http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g28/wassermj/Neshek/

Comment

• DRILLINDK
                    • Nov 2007

The itemS I've been waiting to see, is memorabilia from a CUBS WS Victory. I would be delighted to get ahold of something from this memorable event. According to Ryan Dempster, I won't have to wait too long!
                    drillindk@yahoo.com

Comment

• gameused
                      • Nov 2005

1951 Jackie Robinson Brooklyn Dodgers Game-Used Home Flannel Jersey

From the man who broke the color barrier, anyone would love to have this in their collection.

Final auction price with premium: $341,779.20
                      The Hobby's premier auction site for game-worn jerseys, graded cards, championship rings, and Hall of Fame autographs.

Comment

• B1SON
                        • May 2007

I just bought this ring. It was offered to me for $1,000 about a year ago and I finally got up the balls to buy it. It's 40 oz of 10k gold and I absolutely love it!
                        Attached Files
                        Broncos middle linebacker.....Joe Mays!
                        sigpic

Collecting - Tyrone Braxton (Broncos 87-93 Dolphins 94 Broncos 95-99), Phil Hansen (Bills 91-01), Steve Nelson (Patriots 74-87), Stacy Robinson (Giants 85-90), Kevin Donnalley (Patriots 1981), Lamar Gordon (Rams 02-03, Dolphins 04, Eagles 05, Lions 06), Jared Peck (Falcons 2004), Craig Dahl (Giants 2007-08, Rams 2009-10), Joe Mays (Eagles 2008-09, Broncos 2010), & Dick Hanson (Giants 1971) among others. :rolleyes:

Comment

• karamaxjoe
                          • Nov 2005

In 1998 Mastro auctioned a 1917 World Series White Sox jersey of Eddie Cicotte. How often do you get a shot at one of the infamous eight or even a World Series jersey from that era? Oh and by the way, it sold for 46 K. It's probably a six figure jersey today. I wonder who has it?

Mike
                          Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
                          ~ Bill Veeck

sigpic

Comment

• scottanservitz
                            • Nov 2005

I have to go with Roger on this one, a Jim Brown game used jersey. I was actually looking at one at a Strongsville, Ohio collectables show. It was nicely folded in a showcase just sitting there begging to go home with me. I was just a tad short on cash! I still get weak in the knees even today 9 or ten years later.

On a baseball note, it has to be a Larry Doby or Bob Feller game used jersey. Being a Cleveland fan from birth, those would be just a privilege to have in my collection.

Scott

Comment

• G1X
                              • Nov 2005

A Pete Maravich game-worn jersey from his college days at LSU that was in a Grey Flannel Auction a few years ago. They had it on display at The National before the auction, and I stood inches away admiring it for several minutes knowing that this would be as close as I would ever get to it.

Mark Hayne
                              Gridiron Exchange
                              gixc@verizon.net

Comment

Working...